PDA

View Full Version : looking for an M3 starting to like the 540s

thadude
01-03-2006, 06:56 PM
I have been looking for an E36 M3 wioth not much luck (maybe i am too picky*smoke* ) anyways i have started looking at 540s and some M5s; they are really growing on me.

I was wondering if anyone has owned a 3 series and swithed to the 5 series and liked it more..... if so why; I have yet to test drive one but I think i might go with a 540 with 6spd tranny as opposed to an e36 M3..it is the price range and HP power range I am looking for and has more potential for power cause its an 8cyl and i am assuming gobs of torque.

what are your thoughts of the 540s and how much better is the M5?

Paul540/m3
01-04-2006, 06:17 PM
My dad went the other way around, hence the reason for my 540. He thought the 540 was too big for a toy so he got a e46 M3 and I inhereted the 540/6.
The torque of the 540 is absolutely addictive and it is still a lot of fun to drive( especially with suspension upgrades springs, shocks, swaybars) but its still a pretty big car and you can't throw it aorund like you can a M3.

If your going to look at an M5 beware the carbon buildup issues as they are significant and frequent, and are not covered under warranty.

Both capable cars and great cars, depending on your needs.
Good luck on your search.

Darkness95m3
01-04-2006, 07:39 PM
I owe both. They are two completley different vehicles.

thadude
01-04-2006, 09:03 PM
completely differnet vehicle true but i do not mind a bigger car with more luxury. not interested in zipping around corners more booking it on the highway when there is some open asphalt (or concrete..407).

I fi get eh 540 i would be interested in booting it...anyone on here doen that?

GONENSEC
01-07-2006, 01:26 AM
I've owned both e36 and currently driving and e39. Horsepower is nice so is a good suspension. Remember it's the driver not necessarily the car. "Personnal opinion" e36 handles better not as much power obviously, though if you know how to tame the beast (i.e. drive an M5) HP and handling is the total package.

Go with the 540i Six speed, price, many speed and horsepower options,tame it! :cool: