PDA

View Full Version : transmission problems, - 1997 528i -

zzzreyes
12-28-2005, 12:09 AM
ARGGG!!!

so I get on the car and the freaking thing is stuck on s2 no other gear works just s2, crappy part is that this happened 30 km from where I am staying, so I drove the car with cruise cntrl @ 55km hour.

now that I am here, I am looking at what the hell is wrong, the Trans Program light along with the check engine lights came on. I have searched and found a few articles about the topic, but no real solutions or hints to how serious the problem is.

I am in Elmvale, 20 mins from barrie, going to get caa to take my car somewhere tomorrow, so far I have heard that Sammy at Cross Avenue auto is a good guy to take it too, but that is a bit far from here... any other suggestions around barrie?

is anyone familiar with this headache?

myndgone
12-28-2005, 12:20 AM
too bad you're not in GTA...my buddy owns a transmission shop in Mississauga, specializes in BMs...probably cost too much to get it there...

zzzreyes
12-28-2005, 10:36 AM
hmm... I am thinking that I am going to have to take it to the GTA, but I think thath the problem is electrical.

myndgone
12-28-2005, 11:44 AM
give him a call, see what he says...

Mississauga Automatic Transmission Service
1031 Meyerside Dr. Unit #3

905-696-8330
or
905-208-0941

owner's name is Mark....tell him Senad sent you! :cool:

zzzreyes
12-28-2005, 12:11 PM
calling now...

:( mark said he is almost certain that it is a clutch drum problem and it will need a full rebuild :(

He sounds like a really cool guy and knows what's going on.. if I could only find the fault codes on this car!!!

how do I check the fault codes on the 528i? does anyone know if you can with the gas pedal trick.

myndgone
12-28-2005, 12:17 PM
well, he's been working on trannys since he was 15 lol and he specializes in bimmers and imports...now he opened his own shop, used to work for a reputable shop downtown that only did higher end cars (Toronto Automatic Transmission) now he does the same thing for West End....
You'll get a better deal at his shop, just tell him you know me for years, 20% off right there, man lol

zzzreyes
12-28-2005, 05:57 PM
I am convinced that it is a electrical problem and not a mechanical... when the dam Trans light comes on only the high gears work, the 4th gear, so it is fine to drive on the highway.
But at times it works fine and just the D comes on, but it switches from D to S2 so it is crazy on the highway since it reebs up to almost 6k revolutions when I am going 100 and the S2 crazily kicks in. Anyhow, I am taking it to the dealership in London for them to do the tests, since I have a house in London, will make my life easier in case I Need to crash somewhere.

I will psot what the problem was, hopefully it will help someone in the future if they got the same crappy problem.... I was managed to stop at maranellos and the dude said it is probably electrical, but that doesnt mean it will be cheap, Mark was telling me it was going to cost 2200 for a rebuild, and it sounds like a good price for the labor, but if it is electrical I rather the stealer fix it... since it can have so many other problems that might come up due to it.

zzzreyes
12-30-2005, 02:23 PM
man... no wonder everyone is afarid of the stealer! can you believe that when I brought my car in I also had a burnt headlight! 22 bucks for the part 16 in labor!!! DAM!!!!!!

also, reinitialize the keys! that takes two seconds! 16 bucks labor!!!

THE BIG ONE...

My problem was the transmission switch....

their description says:
Correction: replaced transmission switch and road test = 333.21

Man... I dont even want to know what the transmission switch is or where it goes, it was probably a 10 min job, but with their rates.... The switch itself was 556.50

so all in all... 1040 later... I am driving again... :)

Justin e36
01-02-2006, 01:22 PM
$1040?!! .. holy smokes...

sometime's its better just to let the dealership do the diagnostics and give you a quote, then you can take it elsewhere for the parts/labour to actually do it.

Mark.C.
01-26-2006, 08:01 PM
did they tell you it was the neutral safetey switch.
I would have scanned and repaired that problem for a fraction of the cost.

I remember you told me that it felt like it was binding in gear thats why I said you may need a rebuild sorry for the misdiagnosis

glad to see your on the road again