PDA

View Full Version : E36 318I issues.

Ominous
12-27-2005, 08:07 PM
Whats up guys, I am new to posting on the forum here though I have been reading it for a few months since a good friend of mine pointed me this way.

I drive a red 1994 318I. Basically I love this car but a few recent repairs are sinking me and I might have to start looking for a way out. My questions to you guys is this, my car is at the dealership right now and I have been quoted 3200$ in repairs. All I know of that is for sure is that I need a new clutch and possibly a flywheel. All the repairs are related; however, I don't know all the specifics yet because they want me to come in so they can show me the work required in person.

Do I have any other options? 3200$ is alot for me right now as I just spent 1600$ last week replacing rear wiring harness, A/C Pulley, Break tuneup, all belts, and an engine diag.

As much as I hate to think about it, I might have to try and sell it as is. I would probably try for 5000$ as I have invested almost 4x this into getting it into pristine condition. Do you think its worth this? Its currently riding at 143KM. Has brand new winter tires, 16 BMW rims. Tar undercoating. 100% rust/dent free.

Anyway sorry for the long post, anything you guys can suggest would be very helpful to me.

Warren

P.S. I have enclosed a few pictures of what it looks like. Haha, this is from saturday when the clutch went :D

mpower1226
12-28-2005, 12:19 AM
First of all, you shouldnt have taken your car into dealership. They will charge you an arm and a leg for repair. Take your car to other independent shop. If you need, I could phone in to my friend who runs a very good mechanic shop, he take cares of my car(exact same model as yours 94 318i) since the day one. He could save you alot of troubles. He knows inside and out of 318i. The money you gave to dealership, you could have save probably half of it. If you are in Toronto, pm me when you need, I will hook you up with him.

Whats up guys, I am new to posting on the forum here though I have been reading it for a few months since a good friend of mine pointed me this way.

I drive a red 1994 318I. Basically I love this car but a few recent repairs are sinking me and I might have to start looking for a way out. My questions to you guys is this, my car is at the dealership right now and I have been quoted 3200$ in repairs. All I know of that is for sure is that I need a new clutch and possibly a flywheel. All the repairs are related; however, I don't know all the specifics yet because they want me to come in so they can show me the work required in person.

Do I have any other options? 3200$ is alot for me right now as I just spent 1600$ last week replacing rear wiring harness, A/C Pulley, Break tuneup, all belts, and an engine diag.

As much as I hate to think about it, I might have to try and sell it as is. I would probably try for 5000$ as I have invested almost 4x this into getting it into pristine condition. Do you think its worth this? Its currently riding at 143KM. Has brand new winter tires, 16 BMW rims. Tar undercoating. 100% rust/dent free.

Anyway sorry for the long post, anything you guys can suggest would be very helpful to me.

Warren

P.S. I have enclosed a few pictures of what it looks like. Haha, this is from saturday when the clutch went :D

propr'one
12-28-2005, 01:35 AM
pfft
take the car to charlie

Justin e36
12-28-2005, 06:55 AM
K, you don't need to spend that much on your car. This is what to do:

1) go in to the dealership to assess the problems
2) ask for a written quote, make sure they list EVERYTHING that needs to be done (and why)
3) bring your car home, if you need a hook-up on a discounted flat-bed tow-truck, and you're in Toronto or the nearby areas, just ask and I'll hook it up for you.
4) Report back here with what your vehicle requires
5) We will be able to find the most cost-effective solution to getting your vehicle back on the road.

Note that there are many manufacturers that make aftermarket parts for your BMW and are much much cheaper. You can even go with used parts, and save even more money. Clutch's aren't expensive, installing them is easy, and when you buy used you can visually see how much of the clutch-plate is left, so buying used is not a big issue. Also, there are many independant BMW mechanics out there that can do this work for you, even some of our own maXbimmer members can help you out for a few bucks, or a case of beer.

By my estimation, and I know nothing about what you need repaired, I'd say $800 tops, which includes labour.

Keep us updated, we're here to help.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the maXbimmer community. :)

Justin

thinair
12-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Contact Charlie
http://www.bimmersport.ca

He's located in Mississauga.

Jari
12-28-2005, 11:44 AM
I like Justin's idea. I hope Ominous does exactly that so we can all learn how to save a few bucks.

Alizay
12-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Omnious, when you finally decide to sell your car, remember that I called dibbs on your hood shocks!! :D

Ominous
12-28-2005, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I should be going to look at it today after work and get the details on what all needs work.

I am thinking though that since its already at the dealership and pulled apart, I might as well just get them to put in a clutch if its not a huge difference in price and that might be all i need to be able to drive it away from the lot. I would imagine I am already up to a few hrs in labour @110 per hour.

Once I get the details I will post them *th-up*

bmdbley'sBro
12-28-2005, 03:13 PM
I am thinking though that since its already at the dealership and pulled apart, I might as well just get them to put in a clutch if its not a huge difference in price and that might be all i need to be able to drive it away from the lot. I would imagine I am already up to a few hrs in labour @110 per hour.

my clutch + install, including resurfacing the flywheel was like $450 tops.

it's your wallet dude, but it's a 100% certain even having your car towed home, then towed elsewhere you'll still come out cheaper.

stay away from dealers.

Ominous
12-28-2005, 03:30 PM
Ok, I have not gone in yet but I spoke with the gentleman on the phone. They are going to go ahead and replace the clutch and the master release bearing which is going to be 733$. They are unable to resurface the flywheel apparently and to replace it, I believe it was called a 'duel mass flywheel,' it was 1400$ which is ALOT!

Alizay
12-28-2005, 04:10 PM
Found you the Flywheel for $250 used... oh baby... holla atcho BOOY!

Courtesy of BMW Used Parts in Woodbridge!
416-741-3121

Justin e36
12-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Warren, believe us when we say the difference in price between the dealership and elsewhere is big. With Flywheel Alizay found is $250, now add around $120 labour to get it installed. Your tow home shouldn't be more than $70 if you are within 25km.

Dealership charges an arm and a leg, it's insane. In either case, make sure you ask for your old flywheel back as well... I'd like to know why it can't be resurfaced.

Justin

Ominous
12-29-2005, 02:59 AM
Well I went to the dealership today to see the parts. The clutch had no visible fiber left on it and was maybe 2mm in width. The flywheel, it was deeply ridged, I would say it would require at least 2mm to be milled off before it would be flush and smooth :/ However, I will request both of these parts back as they really do look that bad and I can post pictures.

If I understand correctly, the reason I was told that they could not resurface the flywheel was to do with balance and I think he said it would probably make an audible sound.

Thanks for that link on the flywheel Alizay, I will call you tommorow regarding it and we can drive down to pick it up.

I attached a picture of the invoice of what they recommended I get done.

Warren

thinair
12-29-2005, 08:36 AM
Wow, a stock flywheel is super expensive. You can get a lightweight aluminum flywheel for like $650. I don't understand how they can charge $100 to install a guibo, it's 6 bolts, and it's practically fully removed once they lower the tranny.

digiital
12-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Based on the pictures, your in Missussaga , and I assume you took it to BMW on Dixie, take the car to http://www.bimmersport.ca which is only 5 mins north of the dealer.

bmdbley'sBro
12-29-2005, 11:51 AM
well looks like this guy might be saved from the lube free dealer rape experience, good job guys *th-up*

www.pelicanparts.com great online catolouge & good prices.

Ominous
12-31-2005, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all help and suggestions guys. Picked my car up yesterday. It ended up costing 815$ at the dealership and I paid 250$ for the flywheel which was used and in great shape.

Next time though, I will definatly check out Charlie's shop. I wish I had thought this through before I had dropped it off cause right now I could have a performance clutch and an aluminum flywheel for less than I paid for all my stuff and labour. Oh well! Next time :)

Warren

digiital
12-31-2005, 01:56 PM
Well better then the $3200 they had quoted.

maxx318i
12-31-2005, 05:51 PM
Glad everything is allright.
good luck and have fun with your new BMW.
It's by no means a gas guzzler so you'll have the pleasure of saving cash on petrol *wave*

BMWags
01-01-2006, 10:59 PM
good to hear u saved $$$ bro

welcome to max