PDA

View Full Version : Check engine problem!!! help!!!

peetee
12-24-2005, 11:47 AM
Happy Holidays guys,

I own a 98 328ic 125***km, it is in storage for the season and im doing some work on it.

So far i rebuilt the alternator, new battery, new thermostat, new ac condensor, new drive belts, coolant flush, tranny flush.

But whats driving me NUTS :confused: is the codes that im getting they are as follows:

P1188 (fuel control bank1)
P1189 (fuel control bank2)
P1423 (secondary air system bank1)
P1421 (secondary air system bank2)

Someone told me that it is the vac.. thing that suck air to preheat the cat, but i cant find a test/check on net or in hayes manual.

Where do I start??? I got the 1421 and 1423 codes first then the others showed up, has anyone encountered the same problem?? If so what did you do to fix it??

I could just get it serviced at BMW but i refuse to mainly for the $$$ aspect but i would like to fix it myself.

Thanks for any help guys

Peter

Ps is there anything else that i should do as far as maintenace goes???

peetee
01-13-2006, 07:05 PM
bump anyone????

cisco911
01-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Hey...the last two codes are related to the secondary air pump. It is on the passenger side of the engine compartment next to the firewall. It has a plug going into it. to test it, just unplug it and use jumper wires with a battery to see if the pump works. If it doesn't that your problem right there. If it works, then its the secondary air valve that is rusted and broken. There is pipe that goes from the air pump to the valve that is on top of the exhaust manifold. Air pumps are common problems on E36s. If you replace the pump, replace the valve as well. I believe that these are OE only. The vale is like 150 and the pump I'm not sure but its expensive!. The first two codes could be related to the air pump problem. If the pump doesn't work, it throughs the O2 sensors off when the car is cold and doesn't allow the fuel to be properly regulated.

Hope this helps. Any questions, let me know.

notjoe
01-13-2006, 10:11 PM
My SAP went to. I havent replaced it ;)

Thinair or SickFinga suggested a little computer thingy which plugs into where the SAP would normally plug into and tricks the computer into thinking everything is ok in that dept.