PDA

View Full Version : rear subframe reenforcement kit

mpower1226
12-22-2005, 12:03 PM
how much is the rear subframe re-enforcement kit nowadays?

My car isnt affected by the subframe failure like the early ones(barely missed my car by few month as my car is manufactured in 93 dec. and marked as 94 models). I have been checking my rear subframe before and after the track and they seem to be fine. However, since its getting older now, I would like to re-enforce it to get a peace of mind. How much is the kit? and also is it just weld on type? hows intallation?

APG
12-22-2005, 06:31 PM
Check out turnermotorsport.com they have a rear subframe re-enforcement kit that is welded on. I think they may even show you how it is done, with a couple of pics. The Kit is cheap, only a couple hundred dollars, its the install that's gonna kill ya. You've got to drop the gas tank out and take out the entire rear subframe to do it.

Storamin
12-22-2005, 08:31 PM
The kit is ~ 100. This problem normally occurs on cars that have rust (Being in Canada it's a huge problem). Turnermotorsport.com actually sells the bmw oem parts that are welded into the m3 from the factory.

Many people remove everything and hire a mobile welder to come in (That's what I'm doing right now). It's ~ 1 hour to weld in.

Bruno
12-23-2005, 03:55 PM
These parts are just standard BMW parts, I bought the whole set from my usual supplier and I am going to install it on the race car along with solid subframe bushings.
This isn't an easy install.

Storamin
12-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Check out this thread for information.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105667&highlight=rear+subframe

thinair
12-24-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm in the same boat, I'm getting the plates welded in hopefully in the spring. I figure for my rear brake conversion I'll need to pull out the trailing arms, so why not just remove everything and get the plates put in, along with new subframe and diff bushings.

The plates are about $85US or so. If you're running a thicker rear swaybar I'd recommend getting the swaybar reinforcements as well. My rear swaybar bushing mounts (that come off the subframe) are already bent.

Personally I think anyone with stiff suspension, or who sees track time should do this. I think I should have already done it.

Basically the whole rear end of the car is removed, the whole subframe, rear axles, wheels, brakes, etc, etc. You can remove it all together by undoing the 4 subframe mounts, the 3 bolts at each trailing arm bushing, undoing the rear brake lines, unbolting the shocks at the trailing arm end, and removing the cat-back. Sounds fun eh.

mech9T8
12-26-2005, 12:41 PM
There may be a group of people interested in doing this. Is there a good welder we can contract out? Can we possibly do a group buy for this?

thinair
12-26-2005, 01:32 PM
I really can't see this working out as a group buy. Mostly because that'd require a bunch of taken apart cars waiting around to be welded. Either the welder would have to drive around all over the GTA to various locations while waiting cars have been disassembled, or you'd need a lot of cars on stands/jacks in a central location, and that alone has it's own headaches.

mech9T8
12-26-2005, 04:49 PM
True.
Do you have a reliable welder in mind? I'm going to ask my friend who owns a machine shop. But maybe, if people live relativley close together, we can work out a deal with one welder (not necessarily on the same day of course).

mpower1226
12-26-2005, 04:54 PM
the mechanic that takes care of my car is willing to do a group buy.
The price will be significantly lower then any others.
Is there any interest in group buy for this?
He will take apart and weld in the plates. We pay the labour and we supply the plates.

If there is anyinterest please respond this thread.

1. mpower1226

thinair
12-26-2005, 05:32 PM
True.
Do you have a reliable welder in mind? I'm going to ask my friend who owns a machine shop. But maybe, if people live relativley close together, we can work out a deal with one welder (not necessarily on the same day of course).
Nope, but I also live like 40 minutes north of the GTA.

Plus I haven't set a time that I'm doing this. Pretty much I want to do everything over the course of a weekend, preferably the weekend after an auto-x, and on a weekend where I can get the Monday off work so I can get an alignment done. I'd need to have everything I need for the job in my possession first. I'm not just doing the reinforcement and bolting everything back up. I'm doing a rear brake and trailing arm swap, plus a bunch of bushings, brake lines and master cylinder swap, all while getting the diff and subframe out to get the chassis and subframe reinforced. It's going to be a fun weekend to say the least. I actually plan on buying a small bottle jack press for the job (to swap the diff, subframe, and trailing arm bushings).

MV325IS
12-27-2005, 09:15 AM
FYI
Here is a link with some pics of before and after.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=4111225649

app
12-27-2005, 10:36 AM
I'd be in for a group buy on the plates, subframe bushings, and the rear trailing arm bushings+shims.

mech9T8
12-27-2005, 12:32 PM
A group buy would be good. Can we get an approximate price.
My plan was to drop the subframe myself (and swap subframe bushings + install new suspension) and get a welder to come and put the plates in. I don't know if there are any welders willing to make house calls though.
I'm wondering what is the easiest way...drop the whole subframe as an assembly?

app
12-27-2005, 12:46 PM
I've been researching it heavily. I think I'll just weld it myself. I have a mig welder at the house. I just need a new helmet. Dropping the gas tank is probably going to happen to make sure I don't blow myself up. :D

Storamin
12-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Here's a tutorial Mathew C. Smith did. This is exactly what Im following.
http://home.comcast.net/~matthew.c.smith/mods/rear_subframe/index.htm