PDA

View Full Version : weird problems with my car! help!

t-im
12-18-2005, 10:49 PM
Hey, I have a few problems with my car (seems like always!)..wondering if anyone could help me..
oh, car is a 1995 320ia

Since the cold weather has set in, my car seems to be acting funny...sometimes when I come to a stop at a light, my car starts unevenly revving (700-1500rpm's)..and at idle SOMETIMES it's about 1000rpm's...or a bit higher..or will rev up to about 1600 then slowly drop...

Also, when accelerating, a distinct noise is heard (which isn't normal) sort of a....constant loud fan/wind type noise..and it's pretty loud in the cabin..(kinda hard to exactly describe it)..

and every morning when I first drive my car, it feels like it's powerless (acceleration seems unresponsive)..until I drive for 30 more secs...(but this isn't just from the cold weather)

Sorry if my problems aren't very clear..kinda hard to explain everything!..I'm pretty concerned aboout the uneven idle/high idle and loud noise while accelerating.

Thanks in advance!

Suprano
12-18-2005, 10:53 PM
Some of the things you describe seem similar to what I was experiencing with my car. I ended up having to replace my vanos unit and tensioner and now the car is noise free and very responsive.

Rob

Cosmic 325i
12-19-2005, 07:06 AM
that whining noise might be your fan clutch. mine did the exact same thing, so i got it replaced, and the noise is completely gone.

t-im
12-20-2005, 03:01 AM
ahh anymore advice??

I just dont have enough time to bring it to a garage (w/exams and all) and when I do I want to have an 'idea' of what is wrong..

and now, everytime I come to a stop and shift into park, it revs up to about 1600 and stays there....ehhhh

jeffrie
12-20-2005, 07:00 AM
Sounds like a vacume leak causing the weird erratic idel.

AMI Motorsports
12-20-2005, 10:31 AM
To check the fan clutch while the motor is off see if you can sin the fan freely. If you can't you need a new fan clutch. Do this when the engine is cold.