PDA

View Full Version : Heat problem - no air at all

Lug_n_trug
12-17-2005, 02:30 AM
To add to me being pissed off about my snow tires not getting here in time for a the dump of snow and getting stuck EVERYWHERE while trying to shop for x-mas, the heat stopped blowing. It was just sudden, had the heat on max, no sounds, it just shut off, and won't work.

It doesn't work on ANY settings
(Did a lot of searching and found the info about the final stage resistor, but to me it seems like my 4th-high setting would work, just not any others)

Doesn't matter if i change the temp or the direction or recirc it, NOTHING. (Going to try recirc A/C max tomorrow AM - i'm at work now)

As for the problem? I'm guessing it might be the intake flap under the wipers, seeing as I noticed the vent were almost COMPLETELY blocked with snow after lifting the hood. How would I fix something like that, and why would snow make it break?

Other than this, ANY ideas??? Thanks in advance for the help.

Justin e36
12-17-2005, 04:18 AM
Is this the analog or digital climate control?

does is still light up / operate normally?
can you hear the fan/blower behind the dashboard still whirring up when you try to turn on the heat?

Lug_n_trug
12-17-2005, 06:13 AM
It is analog heat.
The display seems to be working fine and still displaying the heat.
I can't really hear the fan whiring, it just sounds like nothing is happening at all (I guess that's not really a sound....lol)
It was working fine and then just shut off, but I didn't shut the heat off.
No air at all, thanks for any help

kobim3r
12-17-2005, 08:14 AM
heater core

mpower1226
12-17-2005, 09:52 AM
There is a great chance that your blower unit is gone bad.

Check #1 from the diagram on your car. You have to take out everything to get access to it so you might as well change the cabin filter.

thinair
12-17-2005, 10:49 AM
heater core
If it was the heater core the blower would still work, it'd just blow cold air.

Do the obvious and check your fuses first, then check the blower motor. I feel your pain, the blower motor in my 528e hasn't worked since I bought it in March, and it's my winter beater.

Lug_n_trug
12-17-2005, 11:14 AM
Any ideas on the cost from a shop with parts? I'd do it myself, but I have to leave to travel for christmas ASAP, and my g/f doesn't want to freeze in the car (or our cat...although I'm impartial to that one..)

If it's really easy and a short process and can be done outside in 2 ft of snow, sign me up, but only if it'll save a LOT of $.

Thanks for any more help.

JUSTIN - my display does seem to be working fine, but when I turn it off and turn it on, I'm pretty sure the temp would flash constant, and now it kind of flickers while it's flashing. Is this if any concern????

mirek
12-17-2005, 11:29 AM
check your fuses first before you go and do anything stupid like replace the blower..

kobim3r
12-17-2005, 12:04 PM
If it was the heater core the blower would still work, it'd just blow cold air.

I probably should have read the whoel thread first before offering advice eh *th-up*

thinair
12-17-2005, 12:52 PM
Do you get any heat at all once the car is warmed up, like a highway speeds with the vents open?

mpower1226
12-17-2005, 04:15 PM
to change the blower unit, you have to get the whole dash out and the parts it self is pretty penny as well. So Yes, Check the fuses first to make sure but I doubt it.

Lug_n_trug
12-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Well I noticed the other day that I was getting a little bit of warm air flowing in when driving fast, but it's definitely not being blown in.
I'll check the fuses, but which fuse is for the air?
Thanks

mirek
12-17-2005, 08:46 PM
fuse 20

Lug_n_trug
12-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Gotcha, will check fuse 20.

JUSTIN - does it matter that the display is sort of flickering (just the oC part) when I start up the car or turn the temp display on/off?

Thanks everybody, you've been A LOT of help.