PDA

View Full Version : Tale of Woe!!!!

Beaverbrook
12-16-2005, 04:07 PM
Manager comes to me on Tuesday at 4:30pm with a stack of material to be presented to big customer next day. I decide I'm not going to stay late but that I will come in EARLY. Go home and have dinner and am in bed by 8pm.

Awoke at 10pm and went out to car..............MINUS 16 degrees OUCH! She ('94 318is) labored pretty bad at startup

Gotta stop for gas. Gonna top up washer fluid as well. Have some in jug in trunk. Pop hood open but so cold hood shocks wont hold it up, so I rest the hood on my shoulder to put fluid in. As I said only little in jug I had so gonna by new jug and fill up completely. Well I let the hood down gently trying not latch it so I wouldn't have to go back into car to release the hood. Look around but spot no washer fluid jugs. mmmmmmmmmmmm..........maybe in the kiosk/store thing.

Proceed to fill car with gas and go into pay. Ask clerk behind counter about washer fluid but they all out. Spot ATM and withdraw cash. Make myself a coffee and go up to counter. Pay for everything with the usual cold weather chit chat. Go out to car and get in and drive away.

Got maybe 3 kms away doing between 60 and 70kms/h. WAM!!!!!!!!!

Hood comes flying up smashing my windshield and totally blocking my vision.
Pull over to the side and get out. Scared the crap out of me.

Hood shocks pulled right out of hood. Hood bent in the middle where it hit the top of the windshield. Windshield spider webbed on bottom half from side to side.

Got the hood down but it wouldn't latch so got on top and stamped it down so I could drive it away.

Trashed my car. Well hood anyways. *thmbsdwn* *thmbsdwn*

325isRED
12-16-2005, 04:15 PM
wow, shitty deal... snap a few pics..

MV325IS
12-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Thats sucks man...had that happen to me on the 401 doing a buck 30
Suburban hood flys right up and into the winshield !!
SO i know the feeling...shit my self right there and then !

Justin e36
12-16-2005, 04:17 PM
You my friend, are person #8 I have heard about this happening to in the last 3 weeks... not all over BMW's either. I really wish these vehicle manufacturers would make a safety device for this. In either case, I've seen the damage this does on e36's.. you'll need a new hood, windshield, hood shocks, and possibly part of your roofline will need repairing. In total expect $600-$900 in repairs. :(

Beaverbrook
12-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Roofline is fine. Just need to replace hood, hood shocks and windshield.

Car needs repainting in spring/summer and was thinking about CF hood as replacement. The car was my daily driver though and now I'm thinking I want to do some upgrading.

mirek
12-16-2005, 04:35 PM
did this in my jetta.. scared the shit out of my, my gf at the time, and her sister, and her sisters friend, lol

E36er
12-16-2005, 04:52 PM
ouch, i hate the thought of that...thats why i loved my E30 hood so much...good old days

ps. off topic, but u said u might get a CF hood...ive heard both sides but CAN the cf hood be painted >????. if so i got a crack down my hood from a crappy Mechanic so i need a new one but i wouldnt mind gettinga CF

jeffrie
12-16-2005, 04:55 PM
had the same 120kph in a deisel golf, Actualy thought I was blind for about 20 seconds before I clued in that I'm just retarded.
I never did get around to fixing it, all I broke was the hood & it closed after with alot of help.
Had is sweet compared to you....

bmdbley'sBro
12-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Ouch!!!! *sad*

mirek
12-16-2005, 06:55 PM
of course you can paint a CF hood

mpower1226
12-16-2005, 09:14 PM
if you need the windsheild change, I could hook you up at my shop for a great price. pm if interested.