PDA

View Full Version : Mirror swap?

spooner_dee
12-15-2005, 03:31 PM
ok i did a search but after many pages of looking i couldnt find anything more then mirrors for sale.

Question is, can i replace just the glass off my door mirrors? My driver side mirror is showing rust behind the glass and i cant stand it.

If i have to buy a whole new mirror, id then want to replace them both with electric heated mirrors. I currently only have electric mirrors (as far as i know), would i be able to just "plug and play" with heated electric?

mirek
12-15-2005, 04:12 PM
you can buy just the mirror at the dealership

propr'one
12-15-2005, 05:07 PM
You should probably buy the glass used. contact bavauto

spooner_dee
12-15-2005, 08:58 PM
damn bavauto is like 25-30 bucks for just the glass 70ish if its heated lol

now how would one remove the glass?

KaschmirBeige3
12-15-2005, 09:14 PM
Pops right out after sticking a flat head screw driver behind the glass and pry it out.

propr'one
12-15-2005, 09:15 PM
Depends. On our cars if you have OEM 3 series it pops right out. OEM 5 & 7 have a circular ring inside that you need to rotate clockwise to unlock.

Justin e36
12-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Your stock glass is heated, that's why it has the burn marks around the edges. The engineers for the e36's made a mistake for the driver's side mirror, and the headlight switch... both are missing resistors! The driver's side mirror gets considerably hotter than the passenger side, and the edges burn with moisture. They all do it.

Used mirrors are typically $70. New from the dealer is $140 (yes, for the glass alone). If you get a non-heated mirror it is from another model bmw, not an e36.. but it still snaps back in. Most of them are the same. Also make sure you get a driver's side, not a passenger side. (Passenger side has the 'objects in mirror may be closer than they appear' written at the bottom.. it's like a zoom-lens, while it will fit on the driver's side... the perspective will be all messed up. (everything will be HUGE).

To remove your stock mirror use a flat-heat screwdriver, or better yet a hoook, and pry it gently from the corners. Once it is removed, unplug the to wires in the back of the mirror.. (the heating element). Plus the new one in, and snap it on. Make sure when you push the new one in, you press evenly across the glass surface as not to break the glass.

J

mirek
12-15-2005, 10:54 PM
outside glass is $100 at dealer

spooner_dee
12-16-2005, 12:18 PM
thanks guys, when i get a few extra bucks ill be doin this *wave*