PDA

View Full Version : temperature gauge(thermostat going????

sicilianace
12-13-2005, 08:56 PM
I realize recently the needle on the temperature gauge doesn't quite make it to the middle any more. As i drive faster, the needle retrieves to the cold side and in normal driving condition, it makes its way back to the middle, I think its my thermostat starting to go on me.

What do you think, guys???????

Justin e36
12-13-2005, 09:19 PM
first thing to check is your rad fluid, is it too low? If so the fluid is only circulating while driving / engine is revving, your car will suffer the problems you've mentioned.

thermostat is the next thing to check. after that would be the water valve.

Jari
12-13-2005, 09:53 PM
It's also been very very cold outside the past 2 or 3 days. Your engine may not warm up as quickly in this weather. If your heater seems to be a little on the cool side as well then I agree with Justin.

atOm
12-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Put some Cardboard in front of the rad Like I did heheh :) works for me..

sicilianace
12-13-2005, 11:04 PM
Guys, fyi i've driven my car over the past 4 winters and never had a problem with temperature gauge needle. The coolant is okay as it was checked the other day.
Justin so how do i check the thermostat ????

mirek
12-13-2005, 11:09 PM
you take it out, and then you boil a pot of hot water, when it boils you drop it in, if it opens, it's good..

if anything it'd be stuck open, a closed thermostat would cause an overheat.

jeffrie
12-13-2005, 11:14 PM
Guys, fyi i've driven my car over the past 4 winters and never had a problem with temperature gauge needle. The coolant is okay as it was checked the other day.
Justin so how do i check the thermostat ????
I'm not WWJD
but if temp gauge isn't in the middle (12 O clock), you can bet it's sticking open, beleive their 24 bucks at the stealer might as well pick up a jug of coolant while your their and stop off for 4 L of distilled water on the way home.
4 10mm bolts plus the hose clamps (& hoses) thermostat is changed.
With all that change the coolant too, big blue knob on the driverside of the rad will drain most of it, think another 19mm bolt for draining the block.
Fill the block before instalation of the new T-stat for ease of bleeding the air out of the system I also recomend a brick for the gas pedal so you can fill the rad as it goes dry when the air is displaced out of the cooling system.

M3ti Compact
12-14-2005, 12:17 PM
If you gonna go through the trouble of taking out the thermostat, I would just replace it with a new one rather than test to see if the old one still works, your gonna have to replace it sooner or later.

SickFinga
12-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Definitly your thermostat.
While you are it, change your thermostat housing to aluminum and get waterpump with metal impeller

BMWFORLIFE
12-14-2005, 06:32 PM
im having the same problem...only when its really cold when the temp is warm outside my therma is fine.....its definatley the thermastat