PDA

View Full Version : '92 325i stalling out

Proliphic
12-13-2005, 12:46 PM
:mad: Ok I have a '92 325i sedan,

When accelerating from a stop and sometimes at lower RPM's the car will start to stall out when giving it gas, which makes it start to "hop" needing to apply clutch and let off the gas letting the rpms drop then pressing the gas again to bring RPM's up again then releasing clutch back into gear..

When starting off I need to ride the clutch at about 2000 RPM until about 15km/h to avoid stalling out, I have also let a few other people drive the car so they can see what im talking about one being 'ProprOne' and the same thing was happening to him.. If anyone knows what the problem could be please let me know. Also I had the car scanned (thanx Rico) and no codes came back, CEL is off and ONLY comes on when car is stalling out, then goes off when RPM's return to normal.

I have already changed:
Fuel Filter
Air Filter (K&N)
TPS
Mass Air Flow Sensor

with no change (still stalling out)

Thanx in advance *th-up*
Pro.

mirek
12-13-2005, 01:07 PM
get someone with a snap on code reader hook it up to your car and test it in real time.

propr'one
12-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Mirek normally i'd agree with you, but i think the CEL only comes on because the car is stalling.

Proliphic
12-13-2005, 01:33 PM
know of anyone with one that could do it ?

MV325IS
12-13-2005, 01:34 PM
know of anyone with one that could do it ?

I have a code reader on its way...( not a snap on thou) not sue it will do what you need.... it should be here soon if you cant find one sooner

app
12-13-2005, 01:46 PM
change your plugs. Or it's an ignition coil going. I have the EXACT same problem. The plugs have just made it less often. I know my coils need to be replaced.

Eventually it'll get to the point where it sounds like the car it perpetually rapid-fire farting. It goes away and the car feels normal above 2500rpm right?

Justin e36
12-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Charging system light should come on if the car is stalling and the alternator is not providing enough voltage. Not the check engine light.

In either case, the problem is likely either your spark plugs, or one of your ignition coils is dying. One cylinder is not firing properly which leads to the 'hop' and near stall until you get the engine revved high enough. More details on the problem would be useful though... but so far, it sounds like a spark plug or ignition coil.

edit: app beat me to it... I should stop typing so much. :)

app
12-13-2005, 01:52 PM
need a group buy on coils. :D

cisco911
12-13-2005, 01:55 PM
if his car was misfiring, his CEL would come on. The computer would recognize it after it happens a couple of times and stay on.

Proliphic
12-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Oh one more thing not sure if it helps.. once and a while it will also backfire (while in neutral and just reving it a few time to about 3-3.5k .. not alot but u can hear it.. im not really sure as to how to explain the stalling out problem further.. best ay to explain it is for u to drive it lol.. so if someone wants to meet you can see 1st hand..

uhh btw, how much are the coils and how can i check which ones (if any) need replacing ??

Pro..

propr'one
12-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Yes group buy on coils!! i need some too:D

coils are like 100 bucks each

Proliphic
12-13-2005, 04:03 PM
Yeah App after 2500 -3000 rpm everything returns to normal..

so ima check my plugs tonight or tomorrow.. (its cold out) lol but is there any way to check the coils to see if they are good or bad ?? if the coils are bad they should show an error code no ? cuz scan returned NO codes...

Pro.

Proliphic
02-07-2006, 12:43 AM
Well just to revive an old thread I did solve this problem it was a few of my coils were shot.. had Charlie change 4 of them so hopefully this thread helps out some poeple with this problem..

325isedan
02-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Sae Prob And It Was The Ignition Coil. $132

propr'one
02-07-2006, 10:09 PM
THE? lol, lee's car had 4 broken coils

Proliphic
03-03-2006, 10:15 AM
lol yay for me running on like 2 cylinders LOL *wiggle* *wiggle*