PDA

View Full Version : Instrument cluster lighting question

JDub
12-13-2005, 07:59 AM
I'm driving this morning and after a while the lighting for the fuel gauge and about half of the speedometer gets really dim. There's still a bit of a glow but not as bright as it should be. Is this just a bulb going or something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mpower1226
12-13-2005, 08:54 AM
I'm driving this morning and after a while the lighting for the fuel gauge and about half of the speedometer gets really dim. There's still a bit of a glow but not as bright as it should be. Is this just a bulb going or something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

if the gauge needles working in irratic movement(on and off, on and off) then cluster is dead, you have to find another one. But if the back light is dead, its just a simple fix,

Take out 2 screws on upper side of the cluster, slide out the cluster, take out the bulbs and replace them. Simple fix.

OR

If you have a bad alternator thats on its way out, then you would have lights going dim. But the entire dash board lights would be dimming. So check other spots and see if they are dimming as well.

Most likly its the alternator as if the bulbs are gone, its gone, no dimming effect.

Justin e36
12-13-2005, 09:50 AM

The gauge cluster lighting is split into 3 parts.. left, middle, right. The left side of your gauge sounds like there is a bad connection, if there is heavy condensation this can cause it. Otherwise the connection could have oxidized a bit, or the bulb is just dying. In either case, follow mpower's info. Keep your steering wheel centered. Two screws at the top of the cluster. Pry it out by the corners with a flat head... GENTLY as to not break the plastic. Unplug the cables at the back. Pull out cluster through the top part fo the steering wheel (on an angle). Replace bulbs, and reinstall.

J

JDub
12-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I will look into it. Yeah, the needles are fine, it's just the left side lighting is quite dim. What kind of bulb should I be getting? Is it stated in the manual?

mirek
12-13-2005, 11:16 AM
Just tell them which light went out, they should be able to tell you.. Or take out the cluster at the dealership and bring the bulb in...

Justin e36
12-13-2005, 01:59 PM
There are two bulb sizes behind your instrument cluster:

small bulb (part number: 62131383311)
large bulb (generic bulb / no part number anymore.)

The bulb you need is a generic bulb, so it doesn't have a part number like the other bulbs in your vehicle which are custom (for the most part). When you twist out the bulb socket from the back of your cluster, it will look like a custom part. But then pull on the bulb and it will come out of the socket. That bulb is what you need a replacement for.. the socket is reusable.

The socket part number is 62111392983. So if they can bring one of those and make sure the bulb fits into it while there, it may help save you a second trip. The smaller bulbs are used to light up other parts of your instrument cluster.. (i.e. the Check Engine light, Low Fuel light, etc.)

bmdbley'sBro
12-13-2005, 05:17 PM
if you remove the cluster with the wheel on, battery attached

you;ll have a SRS light to clear after *shiner*
just so ya know

JDub
12-14-2005, 08:26 AM
if you remove the cluster with the wheel on, battery attached

you;ll have a SRS light to clear after *shiner*
just so ya know

My SRS light is already on from the common seatbelt problem *mumble*

Do I need to disconnect the battery? Is it ok to just take it out without disconnecting?

Thanks for all the info Justin! *th-up*

mirek
12-14-2005, 09:45 AM
yes it's ok to disconnect with the battery attached..

atm2000
12-14-2005, 11:03 AM

what if it's the righ-hand side? it was dim for a few months, now of a sudden it is lit up again. the left and middle are fine.

is this a sign that the alternator is going?

mirek
12-14-2005, 11:12 AM
no, it's a sign of the right bulb going out.. there are 3 bulbs, right left and center... it's a simple 5 minute job, you can do it yourself, or pick up the bulb and i'll do it for you..

if the alternator was going, you'd be losing power, and all the lights would go crazy..

JDub
12-14-2005, 11:12 AM

Thanks Mirek...guess I'll tackle it in the coming days.

atm2000
12-14-2005, 01:07 PM
no, it's a sign of the right bulb going out.. there are 3 bulbs, right left and center... it's a simple 5 minute job, you can do it yourself, or pick up the bulb and i'll do it for you..

if the alternator was going, you'd be losing power, and all the lights would go crazy..

out of curiosity, how much are OEM alternators?

mpower1226
12-14-2005, 07:39 PM
out of curiosity, how much are OEM alternators?
Expensive. about $400~500 range. I've bought a rebuilt one for about 100 bucks with my old one traded in and it has been working perfect for about 4 years now.

mirek
12-14-2005, 11:27 PM
i had mine repaired for 60$

JDub
12-15-2005, 08:10 AM
So an interesting thing happened last night. I went to go fill air in my tires and I left it running while doing so. When I got back in the car, the light was back on! I guess it was just a loose connection which could mean a more expensive repair than just replacing the bulb. I'll just have to see if it goes off again I guess.

mirek
12-15-2005, 10:11 AM
the bulb screws into place, it might just be loose. next time it happens, tap the cluster, or on top of the dash.. either way, i would take it out, it's a 5 minute job, not hard at all