PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gear making loud whining sound

MV325IS
12-12-2005, 08:59 PM
98 328i

When i put the car into 2nd gear and accelerate, it makes a "loud" whining noise...every other gear is fine and it only makes this noise under acceleration.

Any suggestions or possibilities as to whats going on ?

Thanks

cisco911
12-13-2005, 10:16 AM
I think that a bearing on the tranny might be toast. This usually happens from hard downshifts into second over a long period of time. BMW 5speed trannies have weak bearings to begin with so this might be the reason. How to fix: Open the tranny and replace all the bearings, buy a used tranny, or try changing the gear oil in the tranny and adding an oil treatment in there to see if the noise goes away for a while.

Justin e36
12-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Yep, sounds like a tranny bearing... it'll sound like a WHOOOOOOOoooOOOooooOOOooo. Sorry that's the best impression I can do over the internet. *angel*

Changing the oil should help for the time being. Having it fixed won't be too expensive as you don't need an actual tranny rebuild.

MV325IS
12-13-2005, 02:23 PM
WHOOOOOOOoooOOOooooOOOooo.

Could i hear that in persone please...lol

I bought a new flex disc, tranny mounts and some Royal Purple Lub
Im going to try that see if it gets any quiter

cisco911
12-13-2005, 02:28 PM
why are you replacing the flex disc and mounts? unless they are all torns apart ;)

MV325IS
12-13-2005, 02:31 PM
why are you replacing the flex disc and mounts? unless they are all torns apart ;)

Thought it would be a good time to put new ones on while its on the hoist....car has 190,00 K on it so im sure there worn

mirek
12-13-2005, 03:40 PM
let me know how hard it was to do the guibo and mounts, i need to do both of mine.

MV325IS
12-13-2005, 03:42 PM
let me know how hard it was to do the guibo and mounts, i need to do both of mine.

Will do...seems easy enough to do

mirek
12-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Will do...seems easy enough to do

when you have access to a hoist

MV325IS
12-13-2005, 04:13 PM
when you have access to a hoist

Still have to pay the man for the use of the shop and hoist :(

mirek
12-13-2005, 04:38 PM
you found a guy that rents it? let me know when you plan on doing this, maybe we can do two at once..

MV325IS
12-13-2005, 05:24 PM
No he doesn't rent it...but ive known him for a while so we kinda make a deal and i can use him and his shop when needed...

mirek
12-13-2005, 05:43 PM
wanna do mine? it will give you some practice

MV325IS
12-13-2005, 05:45 PM
LOL...ill let you know how mine goes...ill ask him if we can do the same to yours as well...see what he sez

thinair
12-13-2005, 07:35 PM
You don't need a hoist to do the guibo or mounts. Just a jack and 2-4 good jack stands. I've done 4 clutch jobs like that in my garage already (my e36 and e28 included). I don't remember exactly, but I think on my e36 the guibo was sort of hidden by the exhaust heat shield. I dropped my catback, removed the shield, loosened the center bearing and then I was able to lower the driveshaft and remove the guibo.

If it only makes noise in second gear, don't you think it could be something tranny related? The second gear synchro is the one that takes the most abuse, and they're especially weak on the Getrag trannies.

MV325IS
12-13-2005, 07:42 PM
You don't need a hoist to do the guibo or mounts. Just a jack and 2-4 good jack stands.

Im too old to be laying on my back doing that shit anymore...my back cant take it now :(

Hoist is much more easier on the spine !!

2nd gear is nice and quiet today...strange...but in sure its a bearing somewhere...goona change the guibo and tranny mounts anyways....cant hurt and i have them already from the stealer...so on they go.

If it acts up agian ill take it in and get the tranny freshend up

Justin e36
12-13-2005, 08:24 PM
I don't remember exactly, but I think on my e36 the guibo was sort of hidden by the exhaust heat shield. I dropped my catback, removed the shield, loosened the center bearing and then I was able to lower the driveshaft and remove the guibo.

That is correct. The guibo connected to the driveshaft is a bit hidden behind a metal support bar & heat shield. You'll have to remove the cat-back, then the heat-shield. It's not a difficult job... providing the exhaust isn't seized and and won't need too much heat to knock those pins loose.

MV325IS
12-13-2005, 08:53 PM
That is correct. The guibo connected to the driveshaft is a bit hidden behind a metal support bar & heat shield. You'll have to remove the cat-back, then the heat-shield. It's not a difficult job... providing the exhaust isn't seized and and won't need too much heat to knock those pins loose.

I looked at it and i think i can get the bolts off and pry it back far enough with a pry bar without having to remove the exhaust and heat shield...ill find out on Monday

thinair
12-13-2005, 09:08 PM
I looked at it and i think i can get the bolts off and pry it back far enough with a pry bar without having to remove the exhaust and heat shield...ill find out on Monday

Looks can be decieving, I remember there being a thin shaft sticking out of the center of the output flange on the tranny, that shaft goes into a bearing in the driveshaft. I guess it's there so if the guibo completely fails the driveshaft won't slap around, plus it keeps the driveshaft from spinning out of balance.

MV325IS
12-13-2005, 09:15 PM
Looks can be decieving, I remember there being a thin shaft sticking out of the center of the output flange on the tranny, that shaft goes into a bearing in the driveshaft. I guess it's there so if the guibo completely fails the driveshaft won't slap around, plus it keeps the driveshaft from spinning out of balance.

Oh ok....thanks for the heads up...that makes sense...all the more reasons to have it done up on a hoist

MV325IS
12-19-2005, 12:27 PM
UPDATE:

Had the car on the hoist today....
guibo was in perfect shape as was the tranny mounts ( hope the dealer takes the new ones back)
Changed the oil and filter.
Pulled the tranny drain plug out and no more than one ounce of fluid dripped out ( hence the noisy tranny )

All is well with the 328I again :)

Booked the hoist for this Wed morning to roll the rear fender lips and put on the Bilstein Sport Shocks and H&R Springs on the 325IS