PDA

View Full Version : child safety Tether anchor installation

rico328i
12-12-2005, 06:39 PM
This weekend I finally got around to installing the child safety 'tether anchor' on the rear deck lid of the car. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about - it's the metal anchor point that allows you to attach the middle safety belt that now comes on all baby/child seats or boosters. All newer cars post E36 are now equipped with these anchors along with 'latch' mountings in between the seat belts (also another safety system for baby seats).

The whole process shouldn't take more than 30min.

Basically, for E36's - all you have to do is drill a hole through the rear deck-lid and attach the anchor(+washer and spacer) with the 5/16 bolt. BMW parts by the way, which should have come with the vehicle. They do sell universal kits out there but E36's require a smaller bolt because the cars come pre-drilled with the holes - can be seen in the trunk (3 mounting points).

Has anyone else installed one of these on their E36? If anyone wants more info feel free to ask. Good 'safety' mod for those of us that need it = baby/kids!

And......if any of you out there feel like donating their 'tether safety kit' to ME. Feel free. I'm sure tons of you guys have them still wrapped in the envelop in the glove box!!! I'd like to attach another one on the other side. Trade for a free CEL/SRS scan/reset - rainchecks will be isssued!

Thought this would be a good post for those soon to be Fathers and Mothers. SAFETY FIRST

I can post pics if people want.

propr'one
12-12-2005, 06:46 PM
When rico scanned my car we were screwing around at a red light, just cause we were lined up next to each other. Never seen a car with a baby seat in the back pull on me so much so fast:D

rico328i
12-12-2005, 06:54 PM
When rico scanned my car we were screwing around at a red light, just cause we were lined up next to each other. Never seen a car with a baby seat in the back pull on me so much so fast:D

We accelarated briskly from a red light. And there was a strong tail wind that night which gave the 'illusion' of the rapid pace.

Baby seat was empty.

I do not condone speeding unless at a track. Now spirited driving - different story. As long as it's SAFE. Key word.

propr'one
12-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Sorry definatly should've pointed out babyseat was empty.

rico328i
12-12-2005, 11:15 PM
So. Do any of you E36ers have one of these 'tethers' they feel like donating? As stated.... offering rain-checks for CEL scans.

Good weight savings for better performance - and I'm willing to take it!

mirek
12-13-2005, 01:05 PM
I still have no idea which tether you're talking about? Is it OEM? if so and i have mine you can have it

rico328i
12-13-2005, 01:13 PM
MIrek,

Yes, it's OEM. Our E36's came with the anchor/hardware pkg'd in an envelop. Usually left in the glove box. Hey, if you do happen to have one...I'll gladly take it off your hands - and hand you a CEL clear/scan raincheck!

Here are a couple of pics of the anchor mounted w/a baby seat strapped to it. The way it's supposed to.

R>

mirek
12-13-2005, 01:15 PM
hmm, no envelope in my glove box.. maybe it's somewhere in my trunk.. i'll see if i can find it

DINAN 3
12-13-2005, 08:36 PM
Hey Rico,

I need some serious help with instaling my childseat and I don't have the BMW parts you're talking about. I was wondering.....since we have the same car...could I pay you for your time to do the job right ?
It sounds like you realy know what you're doing.

Let me know,

Marv.

rico328i
12-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Hey Rico,

I need some serious help with instaling my childseat and I don't have the BMW parts you're talking about. I was wondering.....since we have the same car...could I pay you for your time to do the job right ?
It sounds like you realy know what you're doing.

Let me know,

Marv.

Marv,

There's NO way I would charge you for this job! It's literally a 20-30min task. Hardest part was pulling out my dremel and trying to clean out the top hole as best as possible before screwing down the bolt. If you have a garage, maybe I can drop by with some of my tools and we can do the install together. You provide the 'beverages'?!?! I may even be able to source the parts from the dealer with hopefully a slight discount. I've called 4 dealerships and the prices have ranged from about $11-18 for all the necessary parts (5-6 in total?). PM me for more details.

Glad you're thinking of your kid's safety!

R.

Proliphic
12-14-2005, 01:34 PM
Rico Im thinking of doing the same.. are all the parts and procedures the same for a '92 325 ???

rico328i
12-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Rico Im thinking of doing the same.. are all the parts and procedures the same for a '92 325 ???

Should be the exact same. 5/16 x 35 bolt - might be an odd thread pitch though. Best bet is to go to dealer for the parts.

Here are the part numbers :
Cap - 72 11 8 187 598
Bolt - 72 11 8 255 332
Washer - 07 11 9 900 052
Hook/anchor - 72 11 8 187 599
Spacer - 72 11 8 187 601

Check this site for the parts.:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CB33&mospid=47498&btnr=72_0201&hg=72&fg=05

Proliphic
12-14-2005, 06:41 PM
alright thanks man.. appreciate it.

atm2000
12-14-2005, 07:48 PM

I need to do the same. this is crazy, last place I would to answer this question.

from last count, i see that we have 4 people (including myself) asking rico for assistance. should this be a group meet? I'm up for it!

you need the car seat before the hospital lets you leave with the baby.. will definitely need this mod!!! also, in for a group buy if the case may be.

rico328i
12-14-2005, 07:49 PM
I should have added.....Mississauga BMW had the lowest price on the kit - (although sold as individual items - 5 in total) $10 or so.

Rico

Proliphic
12-14-2005, 08:04 PM
im up for a group meet if need be lol.. im sure i could use a hand to install.. lol

rico328i
12-14-2005, 08:09 PM
Ok...Ok....Since I need 1 more, and it looks like a few of you guys do as well. Please let me know ASAP and I'll pick up the kits and 'possibly' try and help with the install. But.....there's no way in hell we're doing this outside!

What I was thinking was I'll show you what and how to...while each of you do the actual work! Get some 'brownie' points from the woman! Safety..and DIY! I've heard of dealers charging $300US to install 2 anchors!! Tell the women that!

Like I said before..Price will be about $10-11 can't remember if he inlcuded the tax. Either way....I'll try and talk myself into a little discount and pass it on. Specify for what car, im case there are some slight differences!!

Here's the list:
1. Rico328i x 1 (98 328i)
2. ?
3. ?

Will hopefully buy before the weekend.

///MP
12-14-2005, 08:42 PM
I should have added.....Mississauga BMW had the lowest price on the kit - (although sold as individual items - 5 in total) $10 or so.

Rico

It's actually a kit (I think they put it together themselves). All the parts come in one bag and they give it a dummy part number so they don't have to ring up each part separately.

Edit: Found my receipt from last January -- Part #PK72119999999, cost: $7.50 + tax.

5/16 x 35 bolt - might be an odd thread pitch though. Best bet is to go to dealer for the parts

Leave it to BMW to mix up english and metric. The 35 doesn't refer to thread pitch, it's length: 35mm = 1 1/8" long. Pitch is either 18 or 24 TPI.

MP

Proliphic
12-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Here's the list:
2. Proliphic x 1 (92 325i)
3. ?

rico328i
12-14-2005, 08:57 PM
Thanks ///MP for the kit number. For the record...the 3 dealerships I called - did not offer them as a kit, instead as individual parts, then totalling the price.

Also...yes. 5/16 x 35 bolt - yes....35 was the length.

Part #PK72119999999, cost: $7.50 + tax.

Definite 'dummy' number with all those 9's. If I can get ///MP's price...SWEET! I'll call my guy in the morning.

Thanks for the post ///MP

///MP
12-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks ///MP for the kit number. For the record...the 3 dealerships I called - did not offer them as a kit, instead as individual parts, then totalling the price.

Also...yes. 5/16 x 35 bolt - yes....35 was the length.

Part #PK72119999999, cost: $7.50 + tax.

Definite 'dummy' number with all those 9's. If I can get ///MP's price...SWEET! I'll call my guy in the morning.

Thanks for the post ///MP

What? Someone at Mississauga BMW Parts doesn't know what's going on? No way! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Seriously, it's there. Just go in and ask for the "child seat tether kit" for e36. If they don't know the score, give them that part number or ask to talk to someone else.

You'll need these tips for installation:
1) Clean out your trunk...everything out!
2) You need a larger drill bit (say 3/8" - 1/2") to drill through the metal support deck to access the middle post. Then drill though the deck cover with your 9/32" or whatever you're using. (I should mention this is the "brute force" method and thus quickest way of doing it, but you can do it without drilling the support)

MP

atm2000
12-14-2005, 09:13 PM
Here's the list:
3. ?

count me in, latest list count:

Here's the list:
3. atm2000 x 1 (98 328is)
4. ?

note: never knew you needed a kit, had the impression it was a "built-in" option.

DINAN 3
12-15-2005, 02:20 AM
I'm in 4 sure...

Here's the latest list:
3. atm2000 x 1 (98 328is)
4. DINAN 3 x 1 (98 328i)
5. ?

Lets get the show on the road.
Unless someone can do better, I can offer my grandmother's condo underground garage (North York at Bathurst & Steeles).
It's not heated, but still pretty reasonable down there (+ there is a power supply).
We could just pile in there one evening for 30min. to get the job done and then take out Rico for some *drink* or if you guys prefer Saturday/Sunday in the AM.....we could do bacon & eggs at a local greasy spoon (Steve's *mw* ) afterwards...Anyone interested ?

I'm flexible.....let me know.

Marv.

Proliphic
12-15-2005, 10:16 AM
well I gotta work Friday night, sat and sunday so i cant do jack this weekend.. but im good for any time other then this weekend..

rico328i
12-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Since it's a 'safety' thing. I thought I'd go ahead and order the kits. I did get the best price I could find. Just as ///MP posted. Took a little convincing though!! So....each kit (5pcs) will cost and I'm rounding up to the nearest $ BTW - call it my service/gas fee. WOW!

$9 each tax included!! I ordered 6 kits. They only had 3 available on-hand.

Pretty damn cheap compared to what I've heard/read from the US BMW boards!

Will pick up tomorrow. Delivery and installation times/details to follow. I like the indoor garage idea w/power outlet. I'll bring the dremel and drill. 15-20min install time.

How's Sunday late evening sound? after 9pm?

atm2000
12-15-2005, 10:42 PM
Since it's a 'safety' thing. I thought I'd go ahead and order the kits. I did get the best price I could find. Just as ///MP posted. Took a little convincing though!! So....each kit (5pcs) will cost and I'm rounding up to the nearest $ BTW - call it my service/gas fee. WOW!

$9 each tax included!! I ordered 6 kits. They only had 3 available on-hand.

Pretty damn cheap compared to what I've heard/read from the US BMW boards!

Will pick up tomorrow. Delivery and installation times/details to follow. I like the indoor garage idea w/power outlet. I'll bring the dremel and drill. 15-20min install time.

How's Sunday late evening sound? after 9pm?

sunday evening works for me... details? will be out for the next two days, but will check sunday afternoon for final details.

DINAN 3
12-16-2005, 02:10 PM
after 9PM works for me.
W'll need an extension cord to reach the power outlet.
How about we meet at 9PM at the Mc Donalds, which is located one block/light south of Bathurst & Steeles, on the west side of Bathurst.
It's a rather large freestanding location.....housed beside the Bank of Montreal...impossible to miss !
My grandmother's condo is less than a 100 feet away.
If anyone has a problem with the location.....let me know.
Otherwise.....IM me for my cell. number...so you can all get a hold of me.
Rico.....THNX for taking care of business...let us know when you got the parts.

Marv.

rico328i
12-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Marv,

Thanks for setting up the location. Underground beats outside.

Let's call it 9pm at the McD's. Tentative. So far there's 3 of us that can do it. Dinan 3 and Atom2000.

I'll be picking up the kits tomorrow. Didn't get a chance to run over today. Anyone else want a kit while I'm going?

I'll bring the tools and extension cord. Essentially my cordless drill, dremel, and socket set. DONE.

Rico

Proliphic
12-16-2005, 10:55 PM
I definatly wanna do this but im working this weekend (superintendent) so I cant leave the property lol.. so I guess ill have to wait till another time.. but Rico if u already picked me up a kit let me know and ill hook up with u some time this week and pay u for it unless someone else can use it b4 me..

Pro.

DINAN 3
12-19-2005, 01:56 PM
That was absolutely fantastic of you to come all the way uptown to help us install our child safety tether anchor. You went beyond the call of duty to hang around past midnight to get the job completed. Vince, myself and our (future) tottlers realy appreciated that. Just wanted everyone to know that Rico is a real outstanding member of these boards.*th-up*

Best,

Marv.

atm2000
12-19-2005, 02:41 PM
That was absolutely fantastic of you to come all the way uptown to help us install our child safety tether anchor. You went beyond the call of duty to hang around past midnight to get the job completed. Vince, myself and our (future) tottlers realy appreciated that. Just wanted everyone to know that Rico is a real outstanding member of these boards.*th-up*

Best,

Marv.

I definitely concur with marv. Rico stayed till the end, both are great guys!