PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gear gone on 92 325

mdoubilet
12-12-2005, 12:53 AM
Hey guys. ive got a bit of a problem here. For my sister's 18th birthday, i gave her a 92 325i. engine's mint, ditto body, and transmission I thought as well. Anyway, I live overseas, and she just had the clutch changed. But she just phoned me saying that the second gear is non existant. The shifter will slide into its spot, but the car will stay in neutral.

Now the same guy who replaced her clutch is now saying she needs a whole new transmission. She lives in a small city called Sudbury, Ontario, and I think that this mechanic is taking this as an oppurtunity for money.

Anybody have any suggestions? If she actually does need a new transmission, is there anywhere i can get one not so costly? Or maybe there is a much cheaper solutiion? any help would be greatly appreciated!

MV325IS
12-12-2005, 12:58 AM
I think i may know where there is a tranny for you...ill look into it and get back to you...i was also told a warn out tranny mount can cause 2nd gear to not ingage correctly...im sure someone will jump in and correct me if im wrong

moto-menace
12-12-2005, 01:45 AM
im definately no expert, but i doubt she would need a whole new tranny...but i really wouldnt know...anyways, i live near sudbury, in a city called north bay, its about 1.5 hours away and theres a good place here she can go 2 if she feels shes getting jerked around ...the place here is honest, and doesnt overcharge, and i think he probably even does have a tranny off an e36 325i if she does indeed need that. tell her 2 call (705) 474-0241 and explain the problem to them, theyll be able 2 tell her whats going on and probably give her a better price.

propr'one
12-12-2005, 07:17 AM
I agree with what both MV325is and kawasaki_kid have said. Although it is possible that the tranny is shot, it is very unlikely. My friend who had a similar car to the one you have also had trouble shifting into 2nd, but it was due to improper maintenance and mounting of the transmission, once tranny fluid was changed and transmission was corrected it was no longer a problem. Especially since you had a clutch done recently, i'd say its very likely tranny was installed incorrectly. Wish i could help more, but i have a different type of transmission in my car.

mdoubilet
12-12-2005, 07:18 AM
thanks for the fasat replies guys. They are much appreciated. Anyway, i will pass on this info to my sister. if anybody else feels they can help, feel free to post :)

mirek
12-12-2005, 09:35 AM
i know 3 people from sudbury :)

MV325IS
12-12-2005, 11:20 AM
My 2nd gear is a little difficult to shift into at times but only when its cold...once warmed up everything is fine