PDA

View Full Version : propr`one's car (codes help)

propr'one
12-11-2005, 03:50 AM
Got my car scanned: (thanks rico.r)

got a WHOOOOOLE bunch of errors

SRS codes: 02(8-08) (I also have 11-18 checked off)
11-seat belt buckle switch, passenger
18-seat occupancy detector, passenger
08(or OB) - firing circuit, side airbag, rear right side

(these all re-occur, ie my srs light is on now)

CEL codes: 11 (F6, F5, E6, O2, OC)
F6- secondary air system flow too low, cyl 4-6
F5- secondary air system flow too low, cyl 1-3
E6- pre-cat oxygen sensor response time, cyl 4-6
02- ignition coil, cyl 4 (see below)
OC- throttle position sensor

(once cleared, CEL was off)

i think F6, F5 were due to my air filter being clogged, and e6 was a o2 sensor that i have since replaced

however, my CEL came back on yesterday, and ima get it scanned soon. but what are the last 2 codes? im assuming that 02 is a spark plug (the 4th)

but what is OC - throttle position sensor?

any comments on these codes would be appreciated, included, but not limited to, HAHA YOUR CAR'S BROKEN*wave*

cisco911
12-11-2005, 09:46 AM
Hey Proprone. The coil one is just that. Your 328i has one coil per cylinder (direct coils). One is probably going bad. If you are handy with cars, get it cleared, and flip the coil in the fourth cylinder with another cylinder (like cylinder one). Run the car. When the light comes on again, if you scan it and it says that its the first cylinder, you know you have a coil that is going bad and need to replace it. This is a common problem on E36s. As for the throttle position sensor thing...has anyone been working on your car? I've had that problem before and someone had messed with the little cable on the throttle sensor for the traction control. If that cable is out of place, it would cause that code. I'm not good at explaining things through typing, but hopefully you know what I'm talking about. Take a look and let me know.

qwk325
12-11-2005, 12:08 PM
It"s impossible that the car has all these things wrong do you have a chip in the car my first chip gave me the half the codes you have now there was a problem with the chip remember on a computer controlled car one sensor could afect many others.

propr'one
12-11-2005, 01:55 PM
Cisco911:

Is there any way to just buy a new ignition coil? Do you know how expensive they are? If i were to just try to clean the existing one, what would i clean it with? Where is the throttle sensor cable?

qwk325:

As far as i know the car has never been chipped (im pretty sure it hasent, just based on who the previous owner was). Is there a way to check to be 100% sure it hasen't?

cisco911
12-11-2005, 03:17 PM
You can't clean the coil. Its the internals that are starting to go. I think a new one is around $100 list. When I said clean, I meant clean the codes from the computer. Sorry if you misunderstood. Its hard to explain, open the hood and look on the driver side. Its right on the throttle body. You'll see a cable just like an accelerator cable on it. Make sure it is in place. I'm horrible at explaining this stuff, I have to point at it basically...LOL If your in toronto, and are having trouble, let me know, maybe I can take a look for you. Let me know.

rico328i
12-11-2005, 04:25 PM
I'll scan your car again and see what codes show up again. Just let me know when.

Rico

propr'one
12-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Awesome rico, thanks, you got PM

i also just looked in bentleys,

Throttle position sensor faulty :
-causes erratic engine idle (i have)
-poor response or acceleration (hard to judge, this is the only 328 i've ever driven)
-erratic engine operation at all speeds (not really)

solution: Test throttle position sensor. How does one test the throttle position sensor?

edit: Just did a search, turns out i need a voltmeter and stuff to test it, which i dont have. Could charlie do this for me? or is there a DIY?

qwk325
12-11-2005, 05:42 PM
The only way to check would be to actually open the ecm and look at eprom chip , or check to see what the rev limiter is normally a chipped car would a higher rev limiter.

propr'one
12-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Well my car is one of the newer ones that you have to flash, not replace a chip for. But the rev limiter seems to cut off at 6500, which is where is should stock i think.

qwk325
12-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Yes its stock . if you want pm me we can rescan the car and try to isolate the problem

P.S I have a a PS foglamp.

cisco911
12-11-2005, 09:37 PM
it shouldn't have anything to do with the ECM. Your TPS could be screwed, but I find it doubtful. I think there might be another glitch. If both codes come up again, I would fix the coil problem first to get rid of any misfire or hesitation that the car might have because of it and then see if the TPS problem is still there. It could all be related. By solving the coil problem, the TPS might go away as well. Did you check the cable?

propr'one
12-11-2005, 10:18 PM
I'd like to check the cable but i dont know where it is. Honestly i think your explanation is fine i just dont know where that is. Im not sure where the trottle body is?

like if you know if its like driver side of car, 2 feet in from front bumper, etc i'd take a look, but if its too much trouble dont worry*th-up*

cisco911
12-12-2005, 10:12 AM
Okay, I don't know if you have the air filter box or a cold air. But if you follow the intake pipe, you will go from the air filter box to the mass air flow sensor to a black intake pipe to that curves and that is connected to the throttle body(alluminum) and that goes into the intake manifuld. Look on the throttle body on the top of it and you will see a black piece right on top. That is where the cable for the traction is. Make sure it is in place. there is a pic of the engine bay that I found at

http://gabe.ume.maine.edu:16080/play/vehicles/bmw/Pages/Engine__straight_6__2_8L.html

Hope that helps.
On a side note, can anyone explain to me why when I try to add a pic on a post it won't work, it just shows a box with an x??????

propr'one
12-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Some pics cannot be linked directly(hotlinked) the refferer URL must be from the same domain they are at. You can always save the image and rehost it on another site, like imageshack.us

Im going to try to find the TPS today see if its in place. On another note, is the TPS from a 92 and a 98 the same? im not sure cause the 92's didn't have traction

cisco911
12-12-2005, 11:49 AM
Some pics cannot be linked directly(hotlinked) the refferer URL must be from the same domain they are at. You can always save the image and rehost it on another site, like imageshack.us

Im going to try to find the TPS today see if its in place. On another note, is the TPS from a 92 and a 98 the same? im not sure cause the 92's didn't have traction

Note the same. The black unit on top of the throttle body thatyour looking for is specifically for the traction control system.