PDA

View Full Version : Coolant flush question

propr'one
12-08-2005, 02:50 PM
As i understand it 50% distilled (not mineral) water, 50% coolant.

Is the bmw stuff the only thing worth using or are other brands just as good?

mirek
12-08-2005, 03:01 PM
use only bmw coolant, the other can damage your radiator and headgasket,

mirek
12-08-2005, 03:37 PM
use only bmw coolant, the other can damage your radiator and headgasket,

Or if you want the long Justincyclopedia answer..

"I recommend you use only the BMW coolant. Your cooling system is expensive to replace so use Genuine BMW Coolant. BMW has spent millions and millions of dollars to do extensive research on coolant additives for aluminum radiators. This is why you should only use BMW coolant, which is bluish. Toyota makes red coolant. Others are green.

Coolant is a fluid that is used to remove and dissipate heat, it is poisonous to animals, cats like the smell and will taste it... then die."

Just buggin.

Justin e36
12-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Actually, I stay very very far away from BMW coolant. m42 engines built prior to 11/93 have defective Timing Case Profile Gaskets... (some people incorrectly call it the head gasket). In either case, out of nowhere the gasket will leak and dump all your coolant on the floor leaving your stranded. Tedious job to dismantle the engine, scrape off the old gasket/clean it, and re-seal it again.. then put the engine back together. Not to mention, quite expensive to do as well.

My m42 gasket began dripping 3 years ago during winter. I brought my car into a car wash booth immediately and did a coolant flush and switched to a Silicate Free + Nitrite Free coolant, I added a stop-leak additive. After around 5 mins of the engine running, leak was gone. And it still is.

The problem is, BMW coolant is not Silicate Free.. it's only Nitrate Free. And for owners like myself, that spells trouble.

So while for some people, the aftermarket coolants can damage your headgasket or radiator, for owners like myself, it's the opposite.

spooner_dee
12-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Actually, I stay very very far away from BMW coolant. m42 engines built prior to 11/93 have defective Timing Case Profile Gaskets... (some people incorrectly call it the head gasket). In either case, out of nowhere the gasket will leak and dump all your coolant on the floor leaving your stranded. Tedious job to dismantle the engine, scrape off the old gasket/clean it, and re-seal it again.. then put the engine back together. Not to mention, quite expensive to do as well.

My m42 gasket began dripping 3 years ago during winter. I brought my car into a car wash booth immediately and did a coolant flush and switched to a Silicate Free + Nitrite Free coolant, I added a stop-leak additive. After around 5 mins of the engine running, leak was gone. And it still is.

The problem is, BMW coolant is not Silicate Free.. it's only Nitrate Free. And for owners like myself, that spells trouble.

So while for some people, the aftermarket coolants can damage your headgasket or radiator, for owners like myself, it's the opposite.

so for people like me and proper one over there, how do we judge which coolant to use, i believe he has a e36 328i same as me, what would you recomend we use?

mirek
12-08-2005, 04:51 PM
bmw coolant.

Justin e36
12-08-2005, 07:03 PM
yup, as mirek said. use bmw blue coolant. mix it with 50% distilled water, and fill up your reservoir when your engine is cold. it has some additives to prevent the interals from rusting up.

also note, that when they say to mix with 50% water.. that means to mix it before hand.. not to fill up with coolant, then add water. Here's an easy way to do it.

Buy 2 gallons and get a third empty jug of coolant. Fill the empty just halfway with distilled water, then top it up with bmw coolant. Now you have jug of 50/50 mix.

Then fill up the half empty bmw coolant jug with distilled water. You now have another gallon of ready to use at 50/50 mix.

Now when you've finished dumping 1 gallon of your mix into your reservoir so you have an empty jug, repeat this procedure with your unopened jug.

In the end you'll have 4 gallons of 50/50 mix. You'll have some left over after topping up your reservoir and after bleeding; you can set this aside so you'll always have some ready to go in case of an emergency.

http://www.bmw325i.net/images/coolant_change/IMG_8941.JPG

Furious
12-08-2005, 10:02 PM
lol, beat me too it justin......thats the way i do it.

propr'one
12-08-2005, 11:43 PM
Thanks guys. Coolant isn't terribly expensive is it? i think this will be my break from exams this weekend, flushing my coolant system:D

mirek
12-08-2005, 11:56 PM
22$/gallon

propr'one
12-09-2005, 02:05 AM
45 bucks? my baby's worth it

Primus
12-09-2005, 05:30 PM
45 bucks? my baby's worth it

i used the canadian tire coolant in every one of my vehicles, just because it says BMW its probally not a bmw product...

i dont see why theres so much hate for the motormaster brand coolant, works great! never had a single problem! and its 13 bucks a gallon!
been using it in my drag car for 10 years never had a problem!

propr'one
12-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Not to question your expertise, but

for bmw coolant:
mirek+justin+furious
1,659+8,298+2,714=12671 posts

against:
you
18 posts

once again, im not saying you're wrong, but there were very specific answers
"the aftermarket coolants can damage your headgasket or radiator" that lead me to think that going to maranello's tomorrow morning is a good idea*th-up*

T.Dot_E30
12-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Plus BMW coolant is Blue,......I donno of any Crappy tire stuff thats blue.

propr'one
12-09-2005, 10:19 PM
honestly man. If its leaking i'll just tell someone its liquid NAWZ

Primus
12-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Plus BMW coolant is Blue,......I donno of any Crappy tire stuff thats blue.

i really like the radio active colour green, makes me wana drink it

FLIPbmw
02-23-2006, 12:43 AM
I'm using motormastor green stuff. I used a sealent additive b/c I had a leak 2 or 3 years ago when i got the car. I'm starting to fill my resevoir every month now.

mirek
02-23-2006, 09:38 AM
get a pressure test done on your coolant system, they will pinpoint where the leak is. Most likely it's the top neck on your rad. Either way, they'll let you know exactly where hte problem is...