PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know what this is?

ModelR
12-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Does anybody know what this is or where it goes? I recently just seen it dangling in my engine. I have no idea where it connects to.http://img15.imgspot.com/u/05/339/18/IMG0203copy1133912943.jpg

mirek
12-06-2005, 05:57 PM
external temperature sensor, should be hooked up to your drivers side brake duct.

Justin e36
12-06-2005, 05:59 PM
that is your ambient temperature sensor. it is usually plugged in to your driver's side brake duct... sometimes the undertray gets damaged, which connects to your brakeducts, and your brakeducts either fall out or get removed, so the temp sensor is left to dangle in your engine bay.

The temperature sensor is what your on-board computer uses to display the current outside (ambient) temperature. It is also used by your ECU to change the air/fuel ratio during cold starts, and to adjust idle during cold temperatures. Additionally, it is used when the temperature drops to 3 degrees celcius... at this point your e36 will automatically turn on the heated mirrors and heated windshield washer nozzels.

It should be fine left in your engine bay, just make sure it's not too close to the engine or the fan, as it could throw off the actual temperature, or get damaged.

Justin

ModelR
12-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Primus
12-11-2005, 01:02 PM
that is your ambient temperature sensor. it is usually plugged in to your driver's side brake duct... sometimes the undertray gets damaged, which connects to your brakeducts, and your brakeducts either fall out or get removed, so the temp sensor is left to dangle in your engine bay.

The temperature sensor is what your on-board computer uses to display the current outside (ambient) temperature. It is also used by your ECU to change the air/fuel ratio during cold starts, and to adjust idle during cold temperatures. Additionally, it is used when the temperature drops to 3 degrees celcius... at this point your e36 will automatically turn on the heated mirrors and heated windshield washer nozzels.

It should be fine left in your engine bay, just make sure it's not too close to the engine or the fan, as it could throw off the actual temperature, or get damaged.

Justin
didnt know it did all of that!, mine got ripped off ridin too low, so it always read -39 degree's...lol