PDA

View Full Version : Oil change

propr'one
12-06-2005, 01:06 PM
This may be a silly question however

-I did an oil change around 4K KM's ago
-the light indicator states that the oil is still new (full green bars) but i dont trust that at all
-my mechanic wants to wait another 8K KM's so its around 12 K KM's per change

right now its VOLL SYNTHESE 5 W 30 synthetic

How often should i do oil changes? Im not going to say money is no object, but if it really should be done every 5000 KM's then that's what i'll do

mirek
12-06-2005, 01:08 PM
synthetic oil will go longer, you can go 10,000km on the synthetic oil no problem. You may want to change the filter at 5k though

Soldo
12-06-2005, 01:09 PM
My moms 323i E46 runs on synthetic and it says that you should change something like every 20k

325isRED
12-06-2005, 02:06 PM
I change my oil every 5K religously, Those green bars decrease based on how hard you drive and Kilometres driven, and it will not know when u do your oil change!

Like you, i do not trust those bars, i changed my oil 5 times before i was even in the yellow!

I have an oil reset/scan tool, if u want to make the treck out to mississauga, i'll reset it for you.

jeffrie
12-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Oil bar's do work, had a bad thermostat doesn't take long before they go down then. With a working Tstat I change generaly every 12-15K, When down to 1 bar above yellow I change it always with a new filter as well.
Castrol 5w 50 Synthetic.

cisco911
12-06-2005, 02:37 PM
As we all know, synthetic does not break down and does not lose viscosity. However, it does get dirty. Anyone that has an E46 and changes their oil by the 25,000km service indicator is shortening the life of their engine! I run AGIp full synthetic 10w-60. I do my oil changes anywhere between 5,000 and 8,000 depending on whether it is more city or highway. I know some people might think that its throwing money away, but if you follow the cluster, after one oil change at 25000, your engine oil will never been clean again. My oil looks as good coming out as it does going in. Clean oil = good lubrication. I knwo I might be taking it alittle too seriously, but I want my engine to last. Clean oil will also keep your seals from drying and cracking. As for the E36 lights, on most cars they do not work right and stay on too long. After 5000kms, not even one light is off most of the time.
Adding to the subject, what synthetic oil does everyone use?? I love AGIP 10w-60 full synthetic. Pricey, but damn good oil in my opinion.

325isRED
12-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Changing your oil often is the best "insurance" for ur vehicle! I get a 20% discount at bmw so i buy their 5w-30 syn oil. comes out to 6.50$ a ltr.

JazzM
12-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Even BMW will tell you to do it every two green bars. So once in between your oil-service and your inspection-service. on the S54 engine I change it religously every 3-4000 km. Though its expensive ($14.00 /ltr before my discount) i know it will pro-long the engine life and performance will not degrade.

T.

Justin e36
12-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Keep in mind those indicators are only accurate for mineral oil, not semi-synthetic, or synthetic oil.

jeffrie
12-06-2005, 06:15 PM
Mine is always clean as well following the bars, beleive bad gas is the biggest contribitor to poor oil quality. And the bar graph isn't linear, once down to 3 oil bars degrades much faster.
I have yet to see a BMW engine die due to lack of oil changes.
Seen many die due to timing belt issues, heads blowing due to valve float (overreving), blown head gaskets (overheating), smashed oil pan (no oil).
If it gives you peace of mind well worth changing it every 5g's.
I on the other hand will save the $$$ for something that's actualy needed
by following BMW's recomendations, they made it I trust them more then what "Some Guy Joe blow over their" said.
Castrol 5w 50 synthetic is at Cosco $36 for 6 litres for thoes of us who don't get a discount.

cisco911
12-06-2005, 06:53 PM
The E36 lights are not as long as the E46 schedule I believe. The new BMWs give 25,000kms(or whatever the computer decides is equal to 25,000kms depending on your driving style). Thats way too much. I've seen people do that kind of mileage and when you go to take out the filter it is falling apart. I'm not saying an engine is going to blow...we all know these engines are solid. It just helps to protect the little things and I personally think that BMW paper filters are not ment to do that kind of mileage. Mercedes had a big problem with their filters falling apart a couple of years ago because of the 20,000+ oil change intervals. They had to redesign the filters so they wouldn't fall apart.

Jon@Bimmersport
12-06-2005, 09:20 PM
engine life is also depending on the oil you put in...different brands use different additives and such, more or less can determine the quality of lubrication.

PedroBMW
12-06-2005, 10:11 PM
-I figure the way we drive puts a ton more sterss on every part of the engine. SO for that reason I change every 5k tops.
-If the car can go 10,000kms I figure ok well that for the average everyday soccer mom driver. This is also why I use synthetic instead of just conventional oil.
-I use Mobil1 15w 50, (Performance Blend or whatever they call it), its pretty thick so I only use it during the summer, in the fall I switch to something lighter. Not sure this is the best stuff to use, its expensive as **** (must be a good sign right lol)

cisco911
12-07-2005, 07:58 PM
I use 10w-160 in summer and switch to 5w-40 for the winter since it is abit thinner and I don't drive as aggressively inthe winter. How much is mobil one up to now. My AGIP lists for 12/litre of 5w-40 and 13.50 for 10w60, but we own a shop so we get it at cost, which is not significantly cheaper, but still cheaper.

propr'one
12-07-2005, 08:50 PM
10W160 eh hmmmm

Primus
12-09-2005, 05:39 PM
the good thing with this is, you can never over change ur oil, the cleaner the better! because they hold such a large volume of oil the E36's can last much longer between intervals, around 8000km for standard oil, synthetic can get you around 10-12km's of soild working life

keep in mind the litltle 2.8litre motor you use has the oil capastiy of a 454 big block chevy so theres lot of oil to be circulated