PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry to report

flinga
12-03-2005, 03:56 AM
I'm sorry to report that I lost control of my 1997 BMW 3231 on a very icy freeway ouside of karlstad, Sweden yesterday. I did three 360's before the accident was over..hit the middle divider at 90 km an hour and was bounced to the right divider and hit that and then stalled in the middle of the freeway. The car took it quite well and only lost the front spoiler package, left front fender and associated hardware and some damage to the left rear quarter panel. I tore off all the plastic myself and and drove the poor car home. It has always had a tendency to be 'weird' on the back end on ice.The advice I need from anyone: The car has 18,000 kilometers on it 1) Is that a lot for this year model ? It runs very well and I take care of the engine myself. 2) How much would that be in american miles ?..I think over 100,000 but the car runs fine..is it worn out engine wise ? 3) It will cost me 35,000 swedish crowns to have it repaired..this is about??? american dollars ?? dollar is 8 to 1 swedish crown...doing the math in my head..maybe 3,000 dollars to fix. 4) Laying emotion aside..if I have it repaired how many kilometers does a 1997 have left before the junkyard if it is kept in good mechanical trim ? Please, let me hear from someone on this forum..I consider you people experts and simply want an opinion. Thank you so much..new member Rick

Justin e36
12-03-2005, 04:08 AM
Hi Rick,

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you didn't get hurt.

18,000km is VERY low for a 1997. Are you sure it's not 81,000km, or 118,000km?

18,000km would be only 11,184 miles on the engine.

If it engine is worn out really depends on how you drove it, the only real way to know is to have a mechanic open her up and look inside. $3000 to fix a vehicle is not that much, especially for a 97 323i... it sounds like it would be worth repairing. These engines, if not abused, will usually last you until around 320,000km before they begin to burn oil... just from my experience. And all because they begin burning oil doesn't mean the engine is dead either.

EMPOWERD
12-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Hey Rick, welcome to maX. Sorry to hear about your incident, thank God you were driving a car with a good crash rating (and that you're okay). Post pics if you have them!

Quack
12-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Welcome to the board Rick, sorry to hear about this, some pictures might help to determine if it's worth it to get it fix, if there is frame damage I would rather not keep the car

propr'one
12-03-2005, 10:45 AM
My car(98 328) has 170 K km's, or roughly 105K miles, engine still runs great. Idle is a little shakey, but i doubt this has much to do with the engine, and it doesn't burn oil. As for the accident, it happens to everyone, im lucky i haven't been in an accident as of yet, but i've sortof accepted that at some point in my life i likely will. Be happy you were in a safe car and are ok, you can always buy another car or repair this one:D

jeffrie
12-03-2005, 11:32 AM
This is a Canadian based site so members understand Kilometers and litres ect... better just as you do in Sweeden, we also use Canadian Dollars.
If that wasn't a typo your engine is praticaly brand new. My last oil change was with a 12,000k interval from the previous change.
Really depends on the damage to your car, by the sounds of it you have minimal structural damage since you bounced off the median dispersing your momentum instead of have all the energy absorbed in one single crash. If cosmetic damage only then it's definatly worth fixing, structual damaged not worth it IMO. Look for ripples in the roof, door's that don't fully close a binding sunroof, if any of theis are obvious I'd buy a new one and keep it for parts. BMW engines almost always outlive the cars their installed in.

flinga
12-04-2005, 08:09 AM
Hello guys,
Thank you very much for your responses...Jeffrie..the picture you have looks exactly like my 323 but I have 4 doors. In Sweden 10 km = 1 swedish 'mil' (mile). I apologize that I send the milage that way. I have 180,000 km on the car. It starts up in about a second and a half in even minus 30 weather. No idel problems and runs like a sewing machine. One of yourhelpful forum members said that if it is only cosmetic damage then fix it. There is no structural damage to fram, roof , front or rear alignement. I was out driving it today at 140 km and no vibration or anything. The missing stuff...things that I tore off after the accident so that I could drive it was all that black plastic spoiler package..for lights and the grill is gone. I need a left front quarter panel and the plastic for the back..plus headlights, blinkers, washers for the headlights. I would like to ask if someone could guide me to a place overseas..not in Sweden that might have parts that i can't get here. This week I will go out and start searching junk places. Thank you all for yoyr comments.I love the car and still owe 7000 dollars on it. I want to go ahead and fix it. I will try posting a picture..not sure how.

SickFinga
12-04-2005, 01:49 PM
There is a swedish mile????

wow, Ive been to Sweden and Norway and I never heard of such a thing.

Does this mean you got 10mile an hour speed limits? and does it mean you car has a top speed of 25miles an hout?

jeffrie
12-04-2005, 01:57 PM
^^^ so have I......:confused:

propr'one
12-04-2005, 08:56 PM
no wonder volvo's suck:D

flinga
12-05-2005, 05:24 AM
There is a swedish mile????

wow, Ive been to Sweden and Norway and I never heard of such a thing.

Does this mean you got 10mile an hour speed limits? and does it mean you car has a top speed of 25miles an hout?
No not really..a swedish mil (mile) is only for mileage. For example it is 100 kilometers from where I live (uppsala) to Stockholm. A Swedish 'mile' = 10 km so instead of saying it's 100 km to stockholm you just say tio mil (ten miles) to someone who asks (and who is swedish of course :)
The odometer reading on my BMW is 18,000 mil this equals 180,000 kilometers. By the way how many american miles would that be ?? And is this a lot for a 1997 year model ? The car runs great and uses absolutely no fluids of any kind besides very expensive gasoline here ! Rick Flinga not sick :)

BennyL
12-05-2005, 11:44 AM
hey man, sorry to hear about the crash... but its good to know your ok, and that the damage to the bimmer seems strictly cosmetic.

180,000 KM isnt very much for a 97' but its also not low. I drive a 96' with 160,000 - so its pretty close.

I hope your e36 gets fixed up nice :)

jeffrie
12-05-2005, 02:21 PM
The odometer reading on my BMW is 18,000 mil this equals 180,000 kilometers. By the way how many american miles would that be ?? And is this a lot for a 1997 year model ?

A little less then 110,000 U.S. Miles.
Still plenty of life left in your BMW.