PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shock Mounts

propr'one
12-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Now that my car accually runs reguarly without breaking im fixing things that dont really need attention yet. I think im going to replace the rear shock mounts, it doesn't seem too hard. I was just curious wether the m3 ones fit on my 328, someone told me they're stronger or something.

thanks

jeffrie
12-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Don't bother go "Rouge engeneering" or "GroundControl" if you want to replace them. Stock ones blow no matter what model they came on.

thinair
12-01-2005, 10:53 PM
If you plan on keeping the car for a while, yes, do as stated above. Ground Control, Rogue, JTD, Ireland all make suitable replacements.

Personally I have the Ground Control variety and you basically install them and forget them. Also the Ground Control mounts install from the bottom, so once you install them the first time, removing the rear shocks won't require taking apart your trunk anymore.

jeffrie
12-01-2005, 11:03 PM
^^ my GC RSM do still need interior trunk trim removed for shock removal, that 14mm nut that holds the shock on top of the mount.
The bonus part is not needeing 6 foot arms to hold & loosen the nut which you need with stock setup or a second pearson to do it for you, plus they actualy last.

uber e36
12-01-2005, 11:32 PM
I was just told by a conact at a reputable company that distributes alot of top notch suspension pieces (and he races as well) that I'm best to go with e36 cabriolet RSM as they're strong than the coupe or sedan and that the urethane ones are too loud for day to day use....

thinair
12-01-2005, 11:37 PM
^^ my GC RSM do still need interior trunk trim removed for shock removal, that 14mm nut that holds the shock on top of the mount.

Weird, the nuts for my mount are in the fender well. There is a horseshoe looking plate with two threaded studs that sits on top of the shock mount.

I'm best to go with e36 cabriolet RSM as they're strong than the coupe or sedan and that the urethane ones are too loud for day to day use....
I have never heard that, when I replaced my mounts I didn't notice any increased noise at all. I'm sure a lot of other members who also have urethane mounts can agree. Then again many people also told me that urethane engine and tranny mounts weren't streetable because you'd vibrate to death. If I let you drive my car and didn't tell you they were installed you'd never tell.

jeffrie
12-02-2005, 01:06 AM
Weird, the nuts for my mount are in the fender well. There is a horseshoe looking plate with two threaded studs that sits on top of the shock mount.
Wasn't refering to the mount itself just the shock that goes through it, mine are the same.

I have never heard that, when I replaced my mounts I didn't notice any increased noise at all. I'm sure a lot of other members who also have urethane mounts can agree. Then again many people also told me that urethane engine and tranny mounts weren't streetable because you'd vibrate to death. If I let you drive my car and didn't tell you they were installed you'd never tell.

I agree no difference IMO, but my stock ones were loose so anything new would be better.

b_w.
12-02-2005, 01:40 AM
i have e46 m3 rsm's. they are much beefier than the e36 mounts. not sure how they compare to the aftermarket ones.