PDA

View Full Version : Vanos unit

Suprano
12-01-2005, 07:29 PM
I thought that max members would probably have an answer for my problem because my mechanic is having some trouble. So here it goes.....

I had been hearing a knocking noise around the front of the engine, right where the vanos unit is. I thought that it was a belt for the fan or something, so I had that replaced at Europa BMW when I did Inspection #2. I've lost some trust in the guys there since then, but that's another issue.
After this the noise persisted, so I took it to a few places and finally when Steve from Bavarian Motors on Woodbine told me that it was the vanos unit (the same opinion I got from everyone else) I let them change that. Now the noise is still there and I am a bit confused seeing as it was diagnosed by a few different people as being the vanos unit.

Anyone have any idea what this could be?????

Rob

propr'one
12-01-2005, 08:17 PM
I had something somewhat similar, however i got some belt lubricator and that fixed it. Its only been 2 weeks, mabye it will come back, who knows.

phaust
12-02-2005, 01:37 PM
exact same problem, changed the vanos, same noise.

solution! = chain tensionner. be aware, these car have 2 chain tensionner, make them check both ( one of them will need to open the head $$$)

cisco911
12-02-2005, 04:08 PM
There is alot of problems with the VANOS gears getting lose and making noise. However, it probably is something to do with the chain tensioner. How many kms do you have on the engine? Another thing it could be is the belt tensioner that makes noise.When it gets old, itmakes rattling noises. To see if its that, you should turn the stearing wheel with the car stopped(which puts force on the belt from the power steering) and see if the noise increases. If it does, thats the problem. If not, and your car is higher mileage, then it might be the chain that is lose. This could be because of the tensioner or i fyou have alot of kms, the chain has gotten too lose and is making the noise. Let us know what happens

Suprano
12-03-2005, 12:40 PM
The car has 150 km on it and is from 95 which I don't think is too much. I'm going to take the advice with the steering wheel and see if the noise does increase in volume. I hope its nothing too major, but it will have to be done. I'm back at the shop on Wed and I'll let you guys know how things go.

thanks 4 the help

Rob

Suprano
12-03-2005, 01:11 PM
One other thing. The noise doesn't commence when I start my car, but only after continued driving. That's why the guys at Bav thought it was all good after they changed the vanos unit.

phaust
12-03-2005, 06:00 PM
cisco911: i will try the stering wheel thing too! i'l keep you in touch ;-) because the problem isnt solved yet ( the mecanic told me that it's not worth to open the head just for that so i will wait another problem

my car : 1995, with 170k km. look similar as you!

ho my... 666 post.. im soooooooooo evil.

;-)

Suprano
12-03-2005, 06:39 PM
mine is silver and the skirts are being mounted in the spring to go with a fresh paint job........but yeah, sounds like the same ride w/ the same problem. I'm pissed because I told the guy that I got a couple of opinions that said it could be the tensioner and he gave me a categorical no and that it was definitely the vanos unit. We'll see on Wednesday in any case. I'll keep everyone POSTED.

Suprano
12-17-2005, 01:56 PM
O.K, so the bad news was that the noise was due in part to a faulty vanos unit and a new timing chain tensioner was needed. The good news was that Steve @ Bavarian Motors really did great work. Because he said that it was the vanos unit and the noise still persisted, he only charged me for parts and no labour. What's more is that he actually told me to take the car home and drive it around to see if the noise persisted before paying him. So, as you can tell, Rob is very happy because he got his problem fixed and he found a shop with some integrity. (something that cannot be said of Europa BMW just up the road)...............problem solved + good price+ happy Rob.

I highly recommend Bavarian because they stood behind their work before they would even accept my money.

phaust
12-17-2005, 06:31 PM
thanks for the update! so the tensioner was faulty too!

well they changed my vanos and i still have the problem.. maybe this vanos too is faulty.. argh.

Suprano
12-18-2005, 12:50 PM
It was weird because he was sure the vanos was gone, which it in fact was, but the noise persisted.........then he looked at the tensioner and found that it wasn't working correctly and so he dealt with that. Mechanically he said the car is sound and I can get some sleep at night again.

I doubt that you would deal with 2 faulty vanos units since they aren't prone to breaking down and it might just be the tensioner. Anyways, I'd recommend the guy that did the work for me, but I see you're located in "La Belle Provence". Good luck with it and post when you get it solved and figure out what the issue was.