PDA

View Full Version : Asc

Suprano
12-01-2005, 11:54 AM
I have a 95 325is that has ASC. There is a green button that says ASC by the heated seats button, but when I press it it does nothing. Does this mean that my ASC is broken or that the light doesn't work?
Also when I hit it nothing appears on the dash either.

Rob

Justin e36
12-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Difficult to say.

By default, your ASC is on. When you *disable* ASC or when one of your tires is slipping, the light on the dashboard should come on.

Your first step would be to see if the bulb is working or not. This is simple to do with the instrument cluster test. There are instructions on how to do this over here (http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/e36gauge.html).

If it is working, then you can check your ASC relay. This is located in your fuse box under the hood. It will be marked ASC, I'm pretty sure it is a gray relay.

If the relay is fine, then you can try tinkering/swapping the actual ASC button.

If that is fine too, then your ABS + ASC computer may be damaged or glitching.

If that is fine as well, then you might have a bigger problem on your hands.

cisco911
12-01-2005, 05:02 PM
if there was module or relay problems, the light should stay on. If your light is off, try the bulb test for the cluster. The funnest way to check is to peal out and see if it kicks in and the light comes on. If your new to BMWs, you don't just hit the button, you need to hold the button down for a second before the light comes on. And just in case you don't know, the system is active when the light is off. If it is constantly on, then it is disabled and/or something is wrong with the system. Take a look at it and let us know what you turn up Hope this helps somehow :)

thinair
12-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Does the car have an automatic or manual transmission?

As noted above, the quickest test method is to try to lay some rubber (try in a wet or snowy parking lot to be safe), or find a dirt road and launch hard from a standstill. When ASC intervenes it's pretty noticable.

Suprano
12-01-2005, 07:24 PM
o.k, thanks a lot guys. I'm gonna get on that. The car is 5spd and it might just be a fuse because I've felt the trac control kick in before. Again, I appreciate the advice.

Rob

propr'one
12-01-2005, 08:20 PM
Just out of curiosity, what exactly is ASC? like i know what it stands for but what does it do as opposed to ASC+T?

cisco911
12-01-2005, 10:45 PM
ASC is Automatic Stability Control. ASC+T is Automatic Stability Control + Traction. It notices, through the ABS sensors when one wheel is spinning more than the others and stops those wheels. For instance, if you peel out, the computer will notice the back wheels spinning and cuts the engine power. This is very helpful in the snow. It also helps getting stability when you begin to lose it going sideways. It regains control by cutting engine power and by braking each wheel individually to help stabilize the car and get it pointed in the right direction.
I prefer to call it the hand of god.... cuz only god could of gotten me out of some of the sideways slides I've been in. As for the light on the dash, thats the idiot light. It flashes telling you every time you do something stupid on the road...LOL... but those are just MY technical terms ;)

PedroBMW
12-01-2005, 11:41 PM
Ok, I didn't quite get the DIFFERENCE between the asc and the asc+t , so I know the ASC cuts off the throttle if theirs wheel spin (cause thats what I have), so for ASC+T, the +T is what adds the element of braking individual wheels? I'm really just curious, I've alctually deleted the asc from my car because it was a pain in the ass sometimes, when Id forget to turn it off.