PDA

View Full Version : can't get the hood to open?

ticoupe
11-30-2005, 01:31 PM
does any one had this problem? just yesterday tried to open up the hood and fix the lights but the hood just won't pop... is there any way I can get the hood open? Thanks guys!

thinair
11-30-2005, 01:41 PM
It won't even pop up a little? Is there any resistance at the release lever?

ticoupe
11-30-2005, 02:09 PM
no resistance at all... I was afraid the cable might be snapped... :(

thinair
11-30-2005, 02:57 PM
you might have to go in through the left fender well. I forget who did this....BMW_7?

Justin e36
11-30-2005, 03:08 PM
yep, left fender well.
Take off your drivers side tire.
Remove the fender lining all the way around.
You'll see the cable running along the top.
You'll have to pull it using a pair of plyers.

ticoupe
11-30-2005, 03:37 PM
man... do I really have to go through all that trouble? and do I have to open up the hood like this every time? Or I can get a new cable installed? Thanks!

Justin e36
11-30-2005, 03:49 PM
you can install a new cable fairly easily. I'll have to check if I have a spare one lying around.

ticoupe
12-09-2005, 09:20 PM
can't open the hood myself, so took it to a mechanic shop, they couldn't open it either and told me that the cable is not broken... they suggested me to take it to the bodyshop, is that my only option? if I can't open the hood, nothing can be done... ie. oil change etc... so if any of you guys have any idea, please let me know... Thanks again!

propr'one
12-09-2005, 11:21 PM
My hood got stuck once, i took off the grilles and tried going in with a hanger. I got it open another way before i needed to use the hangar, but if i go driving tonight i'll take a look if that's an option.

its probably worth a shot but the grilles are low and hidden from line of sight to the release mechanism by a plastic peice

ticoupe
12-09-2005, 11:45 PM
do I need to take both of them off? I took the driver side ones off and try to reach in, but no luck... what should I do???

BMW_7
12-09-2005, 11:57 PM
Actually same thing happened to me, Whatever you do do not pull on the lever if it does not give way. Your lock latches are rusted out at the front, and if you pull on the handle inside you will break it off and you will have to pull on the cable from inside the wheel well every time.

What you have to do is take apart the hood handle from inside, locate the cable, take vise grips and pull the cable with them. If you cant do that then take off the driver side wheel, go into the wheel well, and try to locate the cable through there. Then pull again. If that doesnt work you will have to take the grilles off and try to lube up the locks from the bottom.

Basically if it is not that serious you will probably open the hood while tinkering on the inside of the car. When you do get the hood open, you need to lube up the holes at the front. Im talking about these ones:

http://www.nexternal.com/uuc/images/intake_jimc_car_lg1.jpg

If you cant figure it out go to Charlie and ask him if he can fix it, I wasnt so lucky, I broke my latch from the inside so I cant open the hood from the inside anymore. I could fix it by getting a new cable and a new interior latch but its too much hassle plus I dont think I could trust myself to fix it. You can just hide the cable in the car and keep plyers in your car worse comes to worse!

EDIT:
You say there was no resistance when you tried to open the hood. I had some resistence before but I thought nothing of it. was that way for me but if it just didnt open one day, with absolutely no sign before hand then my best guess would be that the cable snapped. Either way just locate the cable and try to attach it. But also remember to lube your locks as preventive maintenance.

Justin e36
12-10-2005, 12:07 AM
By the way, if you do want to replace the cable I have a few extras kicking around for e36's... $20 ea.

ticoupe
12-10-2005, 01:39 AM
thanks guys, I'll try to open it through the grille, hopefully I could loate the cable through the plastic covers... never thought not be able to open the hood would be such pain... sigh...

ticoupe
12-10-2005, 01:40 AM
btw, bmw_7 can you please give me the # of Charlie? Thanks!

325iSBimmer
12-11-2005, 01:14 AM
i had this problem..it was the latch mechanism itself that broke not the cable...i had someone lift on the hood while I pulled the lever to figure out which side was broken and then i had to use a sawzall to cut through it..scary business if ur not comfortable using tools..

ticoupe
12-11-2005, 01:40 AM
i had this problem..it was the latch mechanism itself that broke not the cable...i had someone lift on the hood while I pulled the lever to figure out which side was broken and then i had to use a sawzall to cut through it..scary business if ur not comfortable using tools..

u actually cut through the latch mechanism? man... good thing u had your hood open... I'm still stuck with a stuck hood... *shiner*

ticoupe
12-22-2005, 04:22 PM
okay guys, really need someone to pop the hood... tried everything, even take the fender liner out, but still find no cable... who on this board can fix the problem for me??? Thanks!!!

Storamin
12-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Check out this thread.

http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/maintenance-troubleshooting/woo-hoo-how-open-bonnet-hood-when-cable-bu-4866.html

ticoupe
12-23-2005, 04:13 AM
Check out this thread.

http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/maintenance-troubleshooting/woo-hoo-how-open-bonnet-hood-when-cable-bu-4866.html

thanks for the help, bud... I'll give it a try before I cut the hood... :idea: