PDA

View Full Version : Found an excellent rim refinisher

DavidM5
11-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Just though I'll share a gem of a find recently.
I had a set of Racing Dynamics rims that were badly scuffed and believe it all 4 were bent refinished and looking brand new by Rim Techniques.

The work was done so well that I also brought in my SSR GT3 rims to be refinished.

They are located at Weston Rd and Finch.
416-740-3773, speak to Nigel.
Tell him that you got his name from David with the silver M5 and did his RD and SSR rims.
And no I do not work there or get cut backs!
Just saved alot of $$$ and a happy customer.

David

Miguel
11-29-2005, 05:47 PM
what did they charge you?

BMWF1
11-29-2005, 06:11 PM
yeah what did they want....how much for just a lip refinish

sloveniaboy
11-29-2005, 06:49 PM
would also like to know how much, I've been looking for a good place

propr'one
11-29-2005, 08:16 PM
buuuuump how much for straightening and refinishing?

Justin e36
11-30-2005, 08:45 AM
uh, he posted the phone number and the name of person to talk to, so you can find out how much.

I just called him.. (8:45am) .. I'm going to head down there now to show him my winter rims, find out how much to get them straightened. I'll post back with my findings. Now to haul those dirty ass rims in the car.. bah.

BTW.. for anyone who wants to pay them a visit, their address is 2300 Finch West - Unit 66.

325isRED
11-30-2005, 09:35 AM
uh, he posted the phone number and the name of person to talk to, so you can find out how much.

I just called him.. (8:45am) .. I'm going to head down there now to show him my winter rims, find out how much to get them straightened. I'll post back with my findings. Now to haul those dirty ass rims in the car.. bah.

BTW.. for anyone who wants to pay them a visit, their address is 2300 Finch West - Unit 66.

keep us posted

Justin e36
11-30-2005, 09:55 AM
Just got back.

Rim straightening (not refinishing) will cost:
$100
$100
$80
$75
-----
$355 cash / no tax.

This includes tire removal / mounting new (or same) tires + balancing. It will take around 2 days for them to do it. Seems like a decent price to me... though my rims are only visibly bent on the insides.

shimajer
11-30-2005, 08:36 PM
wow thats a great price,
i was wondering what does "refinishing" mean, can they paint them in another colour?

Justin e36
12-01-2005, 08:24 AM
Edit: So I went last night to drop my rims and new tires off. He changes the price... now he says it'll cost $15 per rim to put new tires on... (opposed to re-installing the tires that are already on the rim). What the hell. He said the first quote he gave me was $350 (not $355.. no complaints)... but $15-$20 per tire to mount & balance. So an additional $60.. bah.

Shimajer.. refinishing can include repainting. If your rim has curb rash, gashes, or needs to be repainted.. this is called "Refinishing". I didn't bother refinishing since these are my winter rims.. I really don't care about the curb rash. I just want them straight.

shimajer
12-01-2005, 11:21 AM
Edit: So I went last night to drop my rims and new tires off. He changes the price... now he says it'll cost $15 per rim to put new tires on... (opposed to re-installing the tires that are already on the rim). What the hell. He said the first quote he gave me was $350 (not $355.. no complaints)... but $15-$20 per tire to mount & balance. So an additional $60.. bah.

Shimajer.. refinishing can include repainting. If your rim has curb rash, gashes, or needs to be repainted.. this is called "Refinishing". I didn't bother refinishing since these are my winter rims.. I really don't care about the curb rash. I just want them straight.

wow, thats bullshit, wats the difference between installin new tires and old ones?

anyhow, i think its still a good price, since tax is included.

another question: let say i just want to get my rims powdercoat to another colour, let say shadow gunmetal.. so basically i dont need to refinish my rims right? becasue i am painting them with another colour right? or do I still need to get them to fix the curb rash first?

fanks
jer

Justin e36
12-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Yeah I should be picking up my rims tomorrow. I'm going to take them back to the tire shop to get them mounted... drive a few mins, as save myself $20. Might as well.

You can have the curb rash fixed first if you need. Having them repainted + clear coated they can do as well. I'm sure it wouldn't be too expensive to do either..

SickFinga
12-09-2005, 10:01 AM
Avoid at all costs

My wheel was rifinished there. Year later it started peeling.

I went back there, their response was
"Well you drive your car in winter, what do you want???"

very unprofessional!!!

shimajer
01-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Yeah I should be picking up my rims tomorrow. I'm going to take them back to the tire shop to get them mounted... drive a few mins, as save myself $20. Might as well.

You can have the curb rash fixed first if you need. Having them repainted + clear coated they can do as well. I'm sure it wouldn't be too expensive to do either..

how was the result, Justin?

DavidM5
01-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Avoid at all costs

My wheel was rifinished there. Year later it started peeling.

I went back there, their response was
"Well you drive your car in winter, what do you want???"

very unprofessional!!!

Hey even brand new OEM rims will corrode if they are not washed often during the winter.

I am paranoid and wash my car and the rims almost everytime I drive it through salty roads and before parking it for the night.
It helps that I have a hand car wash 2 mins from my house.
But the rims on all my cars look brand new even after 4-5 years of winter driving.

Maintainence is the the key.

Justin e36
01-20-2006, 02:18 PM
how was the result, Justin?

They changed the price on me. Wheels seem straight, still a tiny bit of steering wheel vibration at 140km/h... but they did clean up the rims and repsray them so they look new again... a nice unexpected bonus.

Hey even brand new OEM rims will corrode if they are not washed often during the winter.

I am paranoid and wash my car and the rims almost everytime I drive it through salty roads and before parking it for the night.
But the rims on all my cars look brand new even after 4-5 years of winter driving.

It's true that the salts can pit the alloy, and eat through the clear coats........ but after 1 year? That's uncalled for. Sounds like they didn't prep the rims properly.

dropped_E30
01-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Just though I'll share a gem of a find recently.
I had a set of Racing Dynamics rims that were badly scuffed and believe it all 4 were bent refinished and looking brand new by Rim Techniques.

David

Did you say all 4 of your rims were bent?? how much do you think they'd charge to fix just 1 bent rim?

Thanks

SickFinga
01-21-2006, 09:05 PM

Maybe, but 3 other non-refinished rims did not corrode.

DavidM5
01-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Did you say all 4 of your rims were bent?? how much do you think they'd charge to fix just 1 bent rim?

Thanks

Just call him directlly for a quote.
Yes all 4 rims were bent...
The previous owner was an animal what can I say.
At least I bought them cheap.

yamato
01-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi,

Did a search and found this thread. When I installed winter tires, the tire shop found one of my rim was bent and could not be balanced. We could actually see the bent on the inside. The tire shop suggested me to put that rim to the back and straighten the rims after winter.

I actually do not feel any vibrations at all, should I bother straightening?

Is there any other Rim Refinishing Shop besides this one that David mentioned?

Thanks.

yamato
01-26-2006, 10:15 AM
They changed the price on me. Wheels seem straight, still a tiny bit of steering wheel vibration at 140km/h... but they did clean up the rims and repsray them so they look new again... a nice unexpected bonus.

It's true that the salts can pit the alloy, and eat through the clear coats........ but after 1 year? That's uncalled for. Sounds like they didn't prep the rims properly.

Hi Justin, so overall, is this shop recommended?

Thanks

///MsAniTy
01-26-2006, 10:22 AM
Do a search on E46toronto , some guy had a excellent wheel refinishing place he went to.

SEXSPHERE
07-21-2006, 03:23 PM
BAD SHOP!! Dont go there.. One of my bent rims which was refinished by Rims Technique still not straight enough, 3 months later, is cracked. I went there and asked them if they carry a 1 year warranty like others usually do and do you know what they said??? Its a low profile tire, we dont carry warranty, just bring it to the dealership.. I was like WTF??!?!?!! Aftermarket rims and told me to bring it to the dealer? Noob unprofessional, dont trust your rims to these guys..

droptop
08-08-2006, 03:36 PM
last summer i got 2 rims fixed by them that were bent and the lip re-finished and he charged me 150 per rim; the coating is coming off already

champ0202
08-29-2006, 05:18 PM
I had some curb rash on my new rims took it to these guys dont remember how much I think it was about 120 a tire

refinish could include only paint or in my case they remachined the lip on a cnc

the adress is 1030 bloomington road in aurora,on 905-881-8353

The first time they refinished my rim I wasnt happy they took it back and refinished it again much better same deal as everyother place watch the wording I was also told one price then after told it didnt include balance and tax so ask alot of questions.

craz azn
08-30-2006, 11:24 AM
I just brought a set of 18" rims to Collision Networks in Concorde... two were bent to hell and back, lol... I will let you all know how it turns out next week*th-up*