PDA

View Full Version : help with computer message

sillyE36
11-29-2005, 02:56 AM
my on board computer (fancy name) i should actually refer to it as the piece of shit computer that has never worked properly in its life, keeps flashing a messahe that says " check brake light circuit - see owners manuel."
theres no problem with my brake lights so i have no idea what its talking about?

Any one ever had this happen. any one know what that means?
any help is appriciated, thanks

cisco911
11-29-2005, 09:48 AM
Actually, E36 cars have issues with the entire assemby in the back that holds the bulbs. Bulbs get too hot and burn out the panel. However, the on board computer is usually just wrong. try taking out each bulb panel in the tail lights and see if you can see melted plastic or burnt section. You might also have a bulb that is starting to go, but thats more common on e46s and Benz that have systems to sense bulb resistance. Hope that helps somehow. My ultimate recommendation for those head units is to disconnect them, they are just a pain!!!!!!!!!!!!

Justin e36
11-29-2005, 12:55 PM
my on board computer (fancy name) i should actually refer to it as the piece of shit computer that has never worked properly in its life, keeps flashing a messahe that says " check brake light circuit - see owners manuel."
theres no problem with my brake lights so i have no idea what its talking about?

Any one ever had this happen. any one know what that means?
any help is appriciated, thanks

1. do you have aftermarket lights installed?
2. do you have the proper wattage brake light bulbs installed?
3. are any of your brake light plastic holders burnt?

A.K.A. Blackout
11-29-2005, 01:16 PM
I had this issue on my car, and it is a little unit that is connected to your brake pedal. It is a switch, and it probably faulty. It only cost me $30 from the dealer, and I swapped it out myself. Haven't had the issue since. Common issue with E36 as well.

rico328i
11-29-2005, 01:42 PM
As stated already. Common issue with E36's. Got my switch from dealer for about $25. Just a pain in the ass to change. Before doing this, do check the bulb holders. I'm still forever swapping mine from left to right because I get the code every so often.