bmdbley'sBro
11-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Kinda complicated it's a M42 obd1, turbo'd
The afm was rerouted to the passenger side for "pull through"

Had a minor fender bender (october) some of the AFM's wires that
now ran across the front of the motor fell into the fan,
and got chopped up a bit.

When the wires were like that the car would occasionaly sputter under accel,
idle poorly & said it was using 20 litres (4 gallons) at 2.5K rpm's in 3rd. :eek:
it was intermitent (come & go) even though i reconnected, electrical taped
it all back together.

So take it to the shop that did my FI install, they clean it up look it over, etc.

So fast forward a month later.
car has been running fine, but then starts falling on it's face.

Give it gas it binds up & bogs, like nothing happens car seemed like was gonna stall.
certainly didn't rev up, would just Bind up.
also hunting idle up/down, up/down, stalling to
Cleaned the ICV it was dirty to.

So I find another Nick, exposure in the AFM wiring looked like Chaffing against the motor.
That gets cleaned up, get the car back, ran ok, till it warmed up then it was 1100 rpm idle!
after a bit of driving it was 1100/1500 up/down up /down :(
other then taht & the occasional buck/jerk hiccup at a steady rpm while driving it seemed ok.
wasn't stalling

So I just swapped in a AFM from a 91 M42 to see if my AFM was shot.
car ran great, till it warmed up then... it REALLY FELL ON ITS FACE!
almost didn't get the car back ....
idleling at 500 rpm...give it gas it wanted to Die, couldn't give it gas period.
Then it would surge (the rpms) & i could gas it make it 20, 30ft..
then 500 rpm idle, wouldn;t accept throttle input...
I undid the afm wiring clip while running car shoots back up to 1100 rpm!?

Your thoughts Ideas as to wtf is going down..!???
2 different AFMS 2 different weird problems both seem to be related in that
the car is ok till it warms up.

JazzM
11-28-2005, 02:18 PM
You could have a massive vacuum leak - should be easy to detect. when the car warms up it will use the O2 sensors for the idle program, during cold starts that is ignored. Sounds to me like the vacuum leak is being compensated for by the O2 sensors. Also check your BOV. It may be closed and should be open under idle. Try changing the ICV and you should put new wiring in for the AFM. Also check your O2 sensors.

T.

bmdbley'sBro
11-28-2005, 02:25 PM
You could have a massive vacuum leak - should be easy to detect. when the car warms up it will use the O2 sensors for the idle program, during cold starts that is ignored. Sounds to me like the vacuum leak is being compensated for by the O2 sensors. Also check your BOV. It may be closed and should be open under idle. Try changing the ICV and you should put new wiring in for the AFM. Also check your O2 sensors.

T.

No there is no massive leak, doesn't appear to be any minor sucking noises either.

My 02 was disconnected, way back with install, just ran better without.
granted it's not ideal, but $2k on standalone wasn't appealing at the time.

the blow off I'll look into but i thought it was suppossed to stay closed till
X spring set pressure, then it blows off any extra psi?

I cleaned the ICV, & the car is not stalling just running idleing poorly
and only idleing poorly on the 91 M42 Afm i just swapped..

the original AFm idles High & hunts

:confused:

JazzM
11-28-2005, 02:37 PM
You can spray arond the clamps with some intake cleaner to see if the idle changes. if that's the case you've got a vaccuum leak. listening for it won't help you detect the leak very well... check from the MAF back.

If its idling that high it has to be getting more air from somewhere... could also be that the ICV is constantly just open. also make sure that your throttle body is fully closed (try pushing it closed when its idling). was your TPS wiring affected by the accident? check the sensor as well...

T.

bmdbley'sBro
11-28-2005, 03:43 PM
JazzM, thanks for the suggestions *th-up*

I just put back in my original AFM, started it up.
instead of idling at 1100 or up/down from 1100 to 1500rpm
it started hunting Violently, almost stalling going down to like 500rpm
then surging back up, wouldn't stall though

So i unclipped the ICV noticable but didn't stop Up & downing
Also didn't stall

Unclipped the TPS and it surged to a higher Rpm And stopped up/downing! *th-up*
maybe the TPS is dead!? it probably has 240,000 k's on it, like the rest of the car!

:confused:

JazzM
11-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Glad to hear its starting to work out. make sure that the butterfly is closed all the way during idle (push on it where the spring is to close it all the way, see if the idle changes).

So far it sounds like you need a new ICV and TPS. :)

T.

Justin e36
11-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Yep, could be TPS and ICV. But to be honest, from the moment you said the car bogs down when you hit the throttle, I've been thinking bad ignition coil. A bad ignition coil won't let you accelerate hard most of the time, it would just choke up.

You'll need a VU meter to start testing all those wires though. Now's the time to do it, before it begins getting cold again..

jeffrie
11-28-2005, 08:31 PM
I have a code reader if you want to meet up and see if theirs something ealse besides the no O2 sensor code on your check engine light.

Miguel
11-28-2005, 09:23 PM
simple solution... deadlift the E36 and then delt smash your ECU.

Understated
11-28-2005, 09:28 PM
When in doubt, ask yourself... WWJD? The likely answer is suck a dozen eggs through a straw, bench press anyone in his way, and delt smash everything standing between himself and victory.

loll im in pain :D

bmdbley'sBro
11-29-2005, 03:06 AM
I have a code reader if you want to meet up and see if theirs something ealse besides the no O2 sensor code on your check engine light.

sweet *th-up*
Ill be up at the garage in aylmer by 3 hopefully, there till 5 i guess.

if possible drop by, if not pm we should hook up.