PDA

View Full Version : Regarding foglights...

330DTM
01-20-2002, 10:35 AM
Alright, well I'm just wondering if anyone in Toronto has done the H7 "Seedster" foglight conversion on their BMW E36's. I'm just curious who has actually done it and if it was successful installation with a noticible difference in terms of the light spreading greater.

I'm thinking of doing it, but I may need a hand doing it :P

THanks!

djc0ntra
01-20-2002, 10:42 AM
I've done it
but i think i'm going to change the bulbs because i'm using 110watt (true 110watt) blue bulbs, and they make the foglights look green because the glass front of my foglights it yellowed a little =/

I think i'm going to do my own ellipsoid foglight conversion this spring. It will involve ellipsoid foglights squeezed into the opening where the stock foglights go, then i'll surround the gaps with a mesh grill to make it look nice.

but if i get my order completed on my e46m3 style bumper i can justpop em en and go =)

330DTM
01-20-2002, 11:08 AM
djc0ntra...

From your point of the drivers view, could you see a substantial difference compared to teh H1's 55watt when you did the conversion?

I got a couple of questions...

Since the OEM fogligths use 55watts...then how were you able to run the 110watts without cooking the wiring, etc?

I know you have to change the ground wire to the female kind, but just by doing that lets you use 110watt bulbs?

What would happen if I use a lower wattage H7 bulb?

djc0ntra
01-20-2002, 11:14 AM
I didn't do anything special at all
i just plugged it in and went.
I didn't need to convert anything except add a different connector to fit the h7 style bulbs

I really noticed a difference while driving that the sides of the road lit up better, and during rain i could see the lights a little better (yet rain still makes the lines on the roads semi-invisible to everyone anyways)

I think a better conversion is to put 85watt highbeam bulbs into your low beam sockets. I did that before i got HID's and it helped bigtime. Nobody complained about my headlights glaring at all...never got any flashes or comments.

i get lots of flashes with my hid's because they're pure white and a hint of violet from a far distance, but to most people they look like flares comming out of my headlights, and i guess the average drivers hates cars with hid's
lol

the craziest hid setup i ever saw was on a honda s2000 with a 7000k hid setup. The road was sooooo flooded with light it was insane. it was blinding everyone including me. But boy did it look amazing when he drove past me.

definately for off road use though
i bet he got a ticket

no cops have ever complained about my lighting setup though

330DTM
01-20-2002, 11:38 AM
Alright I just want to clairify somethings :)
When you said, "I didn't do anything special at all
i just plugged it in and went.
I didn't need to convert anything except add a different connector to fit the h7 style bulbs "

Are you saying that you used a dremel tool to drill the area on the foglgith bracket area so that it'll fit the H7's and then you changed the connectors?
or
Are you saying that you did not use a dremel too at all, and you just changed teh connector and BOOM, the H7's just fit?

Thanks, sorry!

djc0ntra
01-20-2002, 11:44 AM
lol
no sorry
i was just talking electrical-wise

you do need to dremel the foglight (which made me nervous actually) and remove the glare shield inside (otherwise it looks just as dim as with h1's)

330DTM
01-20-2002, 11:49 AM
djcOntra...
alright thanks man, clears things up for me. Well I'm might do the conversion but no decisions made. But if I do one day, you willing to give me a hand on doing it?

djc0ntra
01-20-2002, 12:01 PM
sure it'snot too difficult
one problem is there is two styles of foglights
i've got the one that ISN"T like seedsters (the first guy to do the conversion)

mine i didn't need to dremel as much because i took pincing shears and cut the base of the bulb itself to fit.
(made it like an h1 style base)

didn't work well with the pincing shears after a while, so i had to break out the grinder on the end of a drill lol

but it all fits like stock
and if i ever wanted to go back to h1 i could
no problems at all
(but why would i?? =)

330DTM
01-20-2002, 12:13 PM
Alright cool Djc0ntra!

in the mean time I'm just gonna sit back and relax...
Thanks for the help!

Matthew C Smith
01-21-2002, 03:14 PM
check out my website for some more info

www.rose-hulman.edu/~smithm3 :)