PDA

View Full Version : E36 Suspension

uber e36
11-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Hey,

So I've decided that because my car will not be driven in the winters, I will get new suspension. I'm coming from OEM M-Technic Sport Suspension, so many people think it's lowered already.

I'm thinking of getting this combo:
- H&R Race Springs
- Bilstein Sport Shocks (do I need HD?)

Comments, testimonials and suggestions are more than welcome!

*th-up*

-Geoff

MV325IS
11-25-2005, 08:57 PM
^^ Subscribed

sloveniaboy
11-25-2005, 09:16 PM
i was at the same point as you a couple months ago.....i had the sport suspension and ended up going with H&R sports and Bilstein sports....

the car sat a tad lower in the back and much lower in the front, but if you want to be slammed, you have to get H&R race springs instead of the sports.....for daily driving and having no hassles watsoever the sports are the best choice! the only thing that does happen is the odd time getting off a harsh driveway my splitters will scrape just a bit....if I had the race springs on the other hand, the splitters would have to go

btw, no rubbing issues at all even with the 20mm spacers in the rear and 15mm in the front

Justin e36
11-25-2005, 09:30 PM
slovenia... how much clearance do you have with your velocity splitters now? ... my splitters scrape all the time with eibach pro's. Pretty much every time I leave a driveway it scrapes. :S

325iSBimmer
11-26-2005, 12:48 AM
Im on H&R race with bilsteins sports. The ride height is low but nothing too bad. I dont have any sort of kit on it so it doesnt scarpe regularly but not to say that I wouldnt if not careful. The ride is pretty stiff though. but it feels solid and at high speeds u really notice the difference compared to stock..much more stable. Cornering is also greatly inmproved. The tire was bad for me and even after alignment its better but still not great.. u need the camber and adjustments kits in order to dial it all out.

uber e36
11-26-2005, 12:55 AM
I was also thinking of H&R Sport instead of Race but figured that I might as well do it all the way... but I do plan on installing the Velocity Splitters, so perhaps I should only do the Sport Springs.

I guess I was wondering if H&R is the best spring choice?

I plan to do the Bilstein shocks because I can get a deal...

btw - my wheels are 17x8.5 (225/45) in the front and 17x9 (245/40) in the rear...

uber e36
11-27-2005, 12:19 PM
If I can get a deal on Eibach Springs and have to pay retail on H&R, should I go the Eibach route or are the H&R that much superior?

Thanks,

-Geoff

jeffrie
11-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Twice the price to purchase but I'd only go coil overs, 1/2 the labour to install choose your own height and 10 fold better handeling & damper control. Their all garented for life as well.

just325iS
11-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Coil overs are the best way to go of course because I've always found that the front seem to have a gap and the rears don't, so it looks kind of funny. You'll get the illusion that the rears sit lower than the fronts. Your wheels are 17's so you'll be sitting really low with the H&R race. Plan on getting front and rear camber adjustments if you go with race springs. That'll set you back around a grand for the set (front and rears).

I use to run H&R race with bilstein but I was running on 18's so I didn't have any scraping issues. Now that I'm running on 19's, I'm using Tein coil overs. My first setup was pretty good but the coil overs are wayyyyyyyy better. Now my car sits perfectly and the handling is much better.

Save a little bit more money and go coil overs, it'll be worth it in the long run. If you want, I can get you a really good deal on the Teins.

uber e36
11-27-2005, 09:14 PM
The reason why I wasn't considering coilovers is because I thought they were only used when you needed to adjust your settings frequently (going from street to auto-x or from slammed summer to raised winter). Obviously the price is a barrier too...

Perhaps I will go with H&R Sport and Bilstein Sport like Slovenia.

What price on the Teins can you get? PM me...

mech9T8
11-28-2005, 12:15 PM
Geoff, is there anything wrong with your current suspension? Let me know, I may be interested if you are looking to get rid of it.

bmdbley'sBro
11-28-2005, 02:23 PM
jeffrie & I are running HB sports coilovers, sick, sick stuff..
rides stockishly smooth even slammed.
coil overs are just cool for the change it up factor, when bored.

saying all that though Bilstein "sports" are what you'd want
they should come with an adjustable rear spring perch, 3 setting.

sloveniaboy
11-28-2005, 08:13 PM
slovenia... how much clearance do you have with your velocity splitters now? ... my splitters scrape all the time with eibach pro's. Pretty much every time I leave a driveway it scrapes. :S

hmm, good question, I've never really measured, but I hardly ever scrape...if I remember correctly we tried putting a pop can under the splitter and it wouldn't fit, the splitter came about 3/4 of an inch down on the can

geoff, I would say go with H&R sport and bilstein sports...here is a little info for your thought though....I had ordered the bilstein sports but the order got mixed up and i had goten the HDs instead...before sending them back we put the springs in and noticed that we could bolt down the spring without compressing it.....when we mounted the same springs on the bilstein sports, we had tocompress the springs quite a bit to tighten the bolt down...so I could be wrong but maybe I made a mistake going with bilstein sports and should have went with bilstein hds....the bilstein sports might be designed to go with a shorter spring like H&R race

propr'one
11-29-2005, 11:47 PM
ditto to mtech9t8's comment

thinair
11-30-2005, 12:44 PM
As a note, the Bilstein Sports are shorter travel and made for shorter springs, the Bilstein HD's aren't any shorter, and shouldn't be used with short springs.

The Sport shocks are basically what Bilstein and H&R use in their lower level coilovers. If you don't need the adjustability, Bilstein sports and H&R race will make a noticable difference in ride quality.

uber e36
11-30-2005, 01:22 PM
thinair - some have noted that I'll have problems with H&R race... You feel that the Bilstein Sport and H&R Race would be ok?

mech9t8 & proprone - There's nothing wrong... I'm just upgrading. I'll be changing these once the salt is washed away, so if you're interested in the spring, I'll contact you!

thinair
11-30-2005, 01:59 PM
That is what I've heard from people that have that exact setup. I have no personal experience with it.

propr'one
11-30-2005, 02:40 PM
yeah lemme know about the springs. itarnawsky at gmail dot com

mech9T8
12-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Yes, please let me know in the spring.

niks325i
12-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Make sure to go with the Bilstein Sports. I have some FK springs which are pretty good. They ride good and are stiffer than the HR Sport. The FK shocks are crap though. I've replaced the rears with Bilstein sports. I wouldn't spend the money or sacrifice the ride on race springs if you aren't autocrossing. The FKs have worked well for autocross too though.

Nik

http://media.wpg-autox.org/photos/10162005/img_2249.jpg

SickFinga
12-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Make sure to go with the Bilstein Sports. I have some FK springs which are pretty good. They ride good and are stiffer than the HR Sport. The FK shocks are crap though. I've replaced the rears with Bilstein sports. I wouldn't spend the money or sacrifice the ride on race springs if you aren't autocrossing. The FKs have worked well for autocross too though.

Nik

http://media.wpg-autox.org/photos/10162005/img_2249.jpg

FK coilovers come with FK spring and Koni shocks.
Where did you see FK shocks???

Justin e36
12-05-2005, 07:08 PM
hmm, good question, I've never really measured, but I hardly ever scrape...if I remember correctly we tried putting a pop can under the splitter and it wouldn't fit, the splitter came about 3/4 of an inch down on the can

Popcan standing up, or on its side?

sloveniaboy
12-05-2005, 07:09 PM
standing up

Justin e36
12-05-2005, 07:12 PM
standing up

Thanks.. I'm going to look into some H&R sports. The Eibach's give a nice smooth ride, and are stiff enough for tough street driving... but a pop can on its side won't fit under it. I need something a bit higher. I don't know how Sickfinga drove his car, his coilovers were spun all the way down...

uber e36
12-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Well MV325IS and myself are working on a deal to get Bilstein Sport Shocks at a good price, anyone else interested?

atOm
12-05-2005, 07:53 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-98-BMW-E36-3-SERIES-JDM-JAPAN-LOWERING-SPRINGS-94-M3_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33586QQitemZ80204687 04QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
might have them on tomorrow, should be a crazy drop hehehe, i'll post some pics up soon :)

niks325i
12-06-2005, 11:52 AM
FK coilovers come with FK spring and Koni shocks.
Where did you see FK shocks???

I bought them at tunerworks in Calgary. In less than a year they were leaking oil and one had completely seized. FK North America is gone and I couldn't get any warranty on them even though they advertised a lifetime warranty. I ended up buying Bilstein Sports from http://www.tunerworks.com to replace them. Very happy with the Bilsteins.

Nik

uber e36
12-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Ok guys, I'm working an a price for the Bilstein Sport Shocks that could be approx. $508CDN shipped to Toronto. I have to see if the seller will label as "Replacement Warranty Parts" so we don't get hit with tax/customs.

Anyone else interested?

Justin - MV325IS and myself are also looking for H&R Sport Springs so let us know what you find and we can save each other some money by ordering 3 sets...

mech9T8
12-06-2005, 12:11 PM
I may be interested in that. Please keep me informed.

niks325i
12-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Ok guys, I'm working an a price for the Bilstein Sport Shocks that could be approx. $508CDN shipped to Toronto. I have to see if the seller will label as "Replacement Warranty Parts" so we don't get hit with tax/customs.

Anyone else interested?

Justin - MV325IS and myself are also looking for H&R Sport Springs so let us know what you find and we can save each other some money by ordering 3 sets...

You should try http://www.tunerworks.com first. They are in Canada. Less shipping cost, no duty. Support a Canadian vendor too.*wave*

Nik

propr'one
12-06-2005, 12:51 PM
I looked into my suspention problem and im pretty sure its just the rear shock mounts, not the springs. If this situation changes i may be interested, however my car is a sport package and im running 18's, and i dont want no rubbing:D