PDA

View Full Version : winter prep list: wiper nozzle

atm2000
11-25-2005, 03:10 PM
i didn't think it was this bad until i HAD to use my wipers this morning driving into work. the washer fluid only squirted as if it had no pressure even after I've been driving for over 30 minutes. think flaccid penis action.

how can i correct this?

note: my wiper blades are working as well as i thought, and good recommendations?

oldskool3
11-25-2005, 03:15 PM
is it possible your fluid is just frozen. Not really sure just thought I'd throw it out there.

atm2000
11-25-2005, 03:45 PM
i don't think that is the case, especially since winter fluid is rated at -10-20 degrees. don't know, will find out when the temp here in toronto reaches +7 this weekend.

rico328i
11-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Maybe it's excess wax that's stuck in the nozzle? Did you wax the car late in the summer? Just a thought. Might just need a little cleaning?

atm2000
11-25-2005, 04:51 PM
i think it's cleaning... how do you clean something that's a few millimetres wide??? :confused:

rico328i
11-25-2005, 04:55 PM
I had to refrain from making jokes after reading that reply...

Use a pin/needle.

mirek
11-25-2005, 04:57 PM
stick your penis in it?

atm2000
11-25-2005, 04:59 PM
stick your penis in it?

hahaha :D

Justin e36
11-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Since you have winter washer fluid in there, I would have to go with the boys on it. Dirty or clogged nozzels or fluid line... or of course it be that your washer fluid reservoir sprung a leak and there's just not enough fluid left in there. Clean out the tips with a needle and spray hot water on / in it to soften up any waxes or oils. Then keep spraying your washer fluid nozzel to dislodge anything caught in there. You can disconnect the line from under the fluid pump, or from under your hood from the nozzels if you want to check for pressure from the pump itself.

atm2000
11-28-2005, 04:46 PM
hmm. sunday was warm enough to venture into my garage to try this out. i was able to get a small needle into the hole and moved it around as much as possible, i only got about 1/2 inch in before the needle stopped moving. wiggled it around all four holes, however, I didn't pour hot water onto the holes jetting out of the windshield washer area.

tired blasting it a few times from inside the car with no luck. i'm not sure what else to do/look for... ugh!

M3ti Compact
11-28-2005, 05:51 PM
I put in CT Teflon Winter fluid and I have heated washers and both front and rear froze up a couple days ago. I was pissed...I think it was the combination of -18 and highway windchill.

The next best thing is to put the defroster and wipers on full- it works.

Justin e36
11-28-2005, 06:44 PM
hmm. sunday was warm enough to venture into my garage to try this out. i was able to get a small needle into the hole and moved it around as much as possible, i only got about 1/2 inch in before the needle stopped moving. wiggled it around all four holes, however, I didn't pour hot water onto the holes jetting out of the windshield washer area.

tired blasting it a few times from inside the car with no luck. i'm not sure what else to do/look for... ugh!

1. Disconnect the line from either the fluid reservoir pump, try pumping. Is it giving adequate pressure? If not, your pump could be clogged up, or dying.

2. If you have enough pressure, then reconnect the hose. Pull off your hood line where the washer nozels are. Disconnect the clamps holding the hose to your washer nozzels. Try giving it pressure, is there adequate pressure? If not, then your hoses could be kinked somewhere, clogged, or possibly a leak dumping the fluid onto the floor.

3. If you have enough pressure, then you can either take the nozzels out, bring them in the house, and soak them in a small amount of CLR or a similar product. If all else fails, you can always just replace the nozzels. I have one for sale in the For Sale section on this forum as well.

Justin

///MP
11-28-2005, 09:17 PM
i'm not sure what else to do/look for... ugh!

Have you looked at the pump? I had a similar issue on my last car. Sure, the pump still spun, but something was worn out on the inside and it would only spray very weak. Try borrowing a pump from a fellow e36'er and see if that fixes the problem.

I put in CT Teflon Winter fluid and I have heated washers and both front and rear froze up a couple days ago.

Use this Rain-X De-Icer. It is by far the BEST winter washer fluid ever! I could keep raving, but it's like snow tires: you have to try it to believe it.

http://tinypic.com/hx2jus.jpg

MP

NIMA
11-28-2005, 10:44 PM
there is a washer fluid hose under the hood, by the passenger side and by the front windshield.......this small hose will get cought under the hood and cause low pressure............hopefully that will fix your problem....

atm2000
11-29-2005, 08:55 AM
i'll look at these scenarios tomorrow and provide updates. thanks.

nosbaby
12-07-2005, 01:49 AM
The nozzles have a small fillter attatched to them. A small cylinder that pushes onto the nipple of the nozzle and then the hose hooks to it. Mine were clogged and had the same problem. I took the filters off, hooked the hose directly to the nozzle and now have so much pressure, I don't know what to do with it all :)

atm2000
12-07-2005, 10:54 AM
looks like the windshield is working fine now. weird.

i suspect, like the others, that it was clogged because it was used infrequently this past summer. thanks.

super_namer
12-13-2005, 06:28 PM
nozzle related,
any way to change the spray of the nozzle?
i don't like how it streams because it gets like NO surface area.... except for 4 lines....
any way to widen the spray? On my suburban its the best because it gets so much surface area...

Justin e36
12-13-2005, 08:27 PM
You can't change the spray pattern of the nozzle, but you can change where the 4 lines hit your windshield. Use a pin (i.e. safety pin) to change the direction of the 4 nozzels. I personally put the two inside ones so they shoot high, where it then drips down, and the two outside ones shoot low and on the outer edges. Find it works really well with the wiper blades to keep the windshield clean.

super_namer
12-13-2005, 08:29 PM
ya,
i've redirected them... just not the same on those icey days... thanks though.

BennyL
12-22-2005, 12:18 PM
its always a process of elimination... just like when your trying to fix a computer. the only thing is, it seems Justin always knows how to do it and where to start!

digiital
12-22-2005, 12:45 PM
I've had the SAME thing happen to me as well!! I thought the pump was going.
Even after 1 hr of driving it's still has little pressure.
BUT the other day there was abit more pressure then I've had, but it went back to next to no pressure again.

i didn't think it was this bad until i HAD to use my wipers this morning driving into work. the washer fluid only squirted as if it had no pressure even after I've been driving for over 30 minutes. think flaccid penis action.

how can i correct this?

note: my wiper blades are working as well as i thought, and good recommendations?

digiital
12-22-2005, 12:48 PM
I've thought I had the same problem with the wax thing, but my pressure started to drop as the temps dropped. All nozzles spit out the same amount of stream, so it's just not one or two. The other day my pressure came back up, but went back down to a trickle again.(Just above the wipers)

Since you have winter washer fluid in there, I would have to go with the boys on it. Dirty or clogged nozzles or fluid line... or of course it be that your washer fluid reservoir sprung a leak and there's just not enough fluid left in there. Clean out the tips with a needle and spray hot water on / in it to soften up any waxes or oils. Then keep spraying your washer fluid nozzel to dislodge anything caught in there. You can disconnect the line from under the fluid pump, or from under your hood from the nozzels if you want to check for pressure from the pump itself.

digiital
01-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Well fixed my problem, it was a kink in the line, I guess just before winter i was doing some work and I had flipped the hood up 90degress and I guess when I put everything back it must of kinked the line. All happy now.