PDA

View Full Version : E36 What to buy

PHiRe
11-25-2005, 08:17 AM
Hi,

Im new to these forums but have always loved BMWs and now i can aford one of my own. I want some form of E36 3 series coupe but I am not 100% sure which one, i have checked insurance on all of them and i can afford to get any thing up to a 328i but i don't know what the running costs i.e. parts and fuel, i know the 318iS would be economical but i dunno what the 4 cylinder engines are like (do they go bang at the slightest strain??). So this is where i would like your help which one to go for????

Thanks
PHiRe

bmdbley'sBro
11-25-2005, 09:13 AM
welcome to max

The 318 motor is strong alot go to 300,000+ km's no problems.
all bmw motors in e36 have tining chains if those snap kiss your motor good bye.
they usually clack 1st ( chain guides) warning of impending doom :D

the 318 is very economical, makes 138 hp, 130ish torque.
I didn't find it slow, like people said they are.

but get a 2.8L 6cyl & you shouldn't be bored anytime soon :P

pelicanparts.com is great over here for pricing, but shiping to uk might
kill the deal!?

Justin e36
11-25-2005, 09:54 AM
all bmw motors in e36 have tining chains if those snap kiss your motor good bye.
they usually clack 1st ( chain guides) warning of impending doom :D

PHiRe - Note that e36 timing chains also use a timing chain tensioner that always keeps the chain at the proper tension.. if the chain slackens, the tensioner will tighten up. Usually if you hear it growling, the tensioner just needs replacing... if you don't, then the chain can snap... but it's not very common.

The best thing to do is to take them each for a test drive. The 318 automatic isn't very fast, but it is economical. The 318 manual has a bit of spunk, but you'll have to rev her high to really get her moving---but lack of torque doesn't help much when you're climbing a hill. 325/328 both have some nice pep, and the engines are tried, tested, and true. Maintenance of your BMW isn't much more expensive than any other vehicle, if you know where to go. However aftermarket upgrades are very expensive compared to domestic, or japanese.

Since you live in the UK, especially with your gas prices---I would say you should really consider the 318 or a 320.

325iSBimmer
11-25-2005, 11:48 AM
PHiRe - Note that e36 timing chains also use a timing chain tensioner that always keeps the chain at the proper tension.. if the chain slackens, the tensioner will tighten up. Usually if you hear it growling, the tensioner just needs replacing... if you don't, then the chain can snap... but it's not very common.

The best thing to do is to take them each for a test drive. The 318 automatic isn't very fast, but it is economical. The 318 manual has a bit of spunk, but you'll have to rev her high to really get her moving---but lack of torque doesn't help much when you're climbing a hill. 325/328 both have some nice pep, and the engines are tried, tested, and true. Maintenance of your BMW isn't much more expensive than any other vehicle, if you know where to go. However aftermarket upgrades are very expensive compared to domestic, or japanese.

Since you live in the UK, especially with your gas prices---I would say you should really consider the 318 or a 320.

Justin,

This growling sound you speak of. My car (225 000 km) is making the same sound. It is slightly noticeable if you have the hood open and then give it WOT you'll hear a slight growling. at first i thought it could be a the VANOS unit (u heard these can make the same sound) but Darkness95M3 said the same as you..probably just a worn timing chain tensioner. It kinda makes sense cause if you rev the motor to about 3000 RPM you can hear it come and go. like maybe the chain vibrating and then tightening and repeat. Would you also say its probably the timing chain tensioner and not the VANOS unit?

Thanks in advance for your opinion. you're the best Justin*th-up*

Ital_325i
11-25-2005, 05:05 PM
I think they have the 316 in the UK, as well as the diesel too. Some more fuel efficent choices.*th-up*

PHiRe
11-25-2005, 07:09 PM
most appreciated guys but keep the opinions flowing and keep my head thinking, im very mechanically minded and i like to do most of the work on my machines my self so that should lower cost of work alot, my last car (A ford Sierra) needed a head gasket and i changed the timing chain and tentioner on that, but they are a hell of alot better than timing belts, Ital_325 we do have 316 here but not many 316 coupes i dont really want a diesel, (they just dont sound right, lol) think i will look deeper in to the 2 litre to 2.5 litre.

but once again cheers for ya advice and keep it coming i will be modifieing it too but not for power at first, mainly chassis and tasteful styling mods.

Justin e36
11-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Justin,

This growling sound you speak of. My car (225 000 km) is making the same sound. It is slightly noticeable if you have the hood open and then give it WOT you'll hear a slight growling. at first i thought it could be a the VANOS unit (u heard these can make the same sound) but Darkness95M3 said the same as you..probably just a worn timing chain tensioner. It kinda makes sense cause if you rev the motor to about 3000 RPM you can hear it come and go. like maybe the chain vibrating and then tightening and repeat. Would you also say its probably the timing chain tensioner and not the VANOS unit?

Thanks in advance for your opinion. you're the best Justin*th-up*

If you need a replacement timing chain tensioner, it will be a growling sound... almost what you would expect to hear if you took two chains and rubbed them across each other. If it is your VANOS unit, it would be more of a rattling sound---kind of like shaking a can of spray paint really fast. The VANOS unit rattle can come and go as well. Do you hear any sounds at idle?

spooner_dee
11-25-2005, 08:43 PM
welcome to max. Dont worry about the 6 cyl not being economical because it is, atleast mine is. I get AMAZING gas milage. even more so since putting on my after market intake.

There are a few common problems that most every 3 series in the e36 life span falls prey too, but none of them are really all that bad. water pump, control arm bushings, ICV (idle control valve) but they are no biggie. If you want some grunt with your bimmer go 325-328. my friend drove a 323 e36 it was a 6 cyl but it still didnt have enough push for him.

but base it on what you need and what you want, post pics when bought, best of luck.

325iSBimmer
11-26-2005, 01:59 AM
If you need a replacement timing chain tensioner, it will be a growling sound... almost what you would expect to hear if you took two chains and rubbed them across each other. If it is your VANOS unit, it would be more of a rattling sound---kind of like shaking a can of spray paint really fast. The VANOS unit rattle can come and go as well. Do you hear any sounds at idle?

No I dont really notice any sounds at idle other than a slightly lifter tick that also kinda comes and goes. ussually more the hotter it gets. but sometimes you'll here the hydraulic lifter quite down on the ticking..and then it might come back..that diffenately sounds like lifters. but the other rattle under load and at higher RPMs sounds like what ur describing (the timming chain and tensioner)

SickFinga
11-26-2005, 02:10 AM
Im not sure what growling sound is, but I when my chain tensioner needed replacement, it was a rattling sound.
you could hear it at idle, upto 2500rpm you could hear it really loud, but then it would go away.