PDA

View Full Version : Does my car have an LSD??

propr'one
11-23-2005, 09:49 PM
I got a sport package 328i, 1998.

these things come with a LSD stock?

T.Dot_E30
11-23-2005, 09:51 PM
no, but it came with Traction control.

propr'one
11-23-2005, 09:52 PM
Did IS's?

How does traction control behave differently than an LSD

T.Dot_E30
11-23-2005, 10:04 PM
Only the e36 m3s came with LSD.

Traction control applies brake pressure to the wheel that has lost traction (Spinning) and that causes the other wheel to turn.

Justin e36
11-23-2005, 10:38 PM
LSD was as an option in the U.S. / Canada until the end of February 1996 when BMW NA declared it was obsolete because of ASC+T. Other markets could order LSD on the e36 until the summer shutdown of that year. However, LSD remained on the M cars.

Soldo
11-23-2005, 11:22 PM
hahahaha..... Justin your the all knowing GOD when it comes to E36's!!

I dunno where/how you get all this information.... but GOOD JOB!

My car has a LSD but its not the same as the M, i believe its only like 25% LSD whereas the M's have 40%

jeffrie
11-24-2005, 12:00 AM
M3's had a 25% lsd as well, think you have to go custom built for 40%.

325iSBimmer
11-24-2005, 12:04 AM
My 94 325is has LSD stock.. it was a factory option in that year, you could have gone with open diff, ASC+T, or LSD in that year. Previous was just between open and LSD and Later were between LSD and ASC+T. Im sure justin can either verify or correct me. but im pretty sure its someething along those lines

Justin e36
11-24-2005, 12:10 AM
325isbimmer... I might need those M3 rear shocks you've got... I think one of mine might be blown. as soon as I find out i'll let you know.

Soldo
11-24-2005, 12:16 AM
I believe the 95 M's came with 25% lock... didn't the 97+ with the 3.23 and up diff come with 40% lsd?

SickFinga
11-24-2005, 12:24 AM
no, all e36 LSDs are 25% lock
95 m3 manual had 3.15 gearing, auto 3.23 gearing
96+ had 3.23 on manual, 3.38 on automatic

325iSBimmer
11-24-2005, 11:11 AM
325isbimmer... I might need those M3 rear shocks you've got... I think one of mine might be blown. as soon as I find out i'll let you know.

Just let me know. They have been in my basement for months.
they are in great shape. very clean. came off a 98 M3 that was clearly not driven in winter. Just note that the shaft of the shock on the M3's is a larger diameter so I think you need RSM with the same diameter. (i think) I can check if you need. I have RSM for both M and non M

Justin e36
11-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Just let me know. They have been in my basement for months.
they are in great shape. very clean. came off a 98 M3 that was clearly not driven in winter. Just note that the shaft of the shock on the M3's is a larger diameter so I think you need RSM with the same diameter. (i think) I can check if you need. I have RSM for both M and non M

I was going to go put my car on the hoist today... but my car refuses to leave the driveway in this weather with summer tires on. I didn't realize summer's would be THIS bad even though it's a little above freezing out. As soon as I can move the car, I'll check my rear shocks. No worries about the RSM's... I already have M3 shocks installed, just might (probably) need a replacement...

EMPOWERD
11-24-2005, 11:59 AM
For the record, to find out if your car is equipped with an LSD diff, jack up the rear end (both sides) and spin one tire by hand... if the opposite tire rotates in the same direction, you've got an LSD! If it spins in the opposite direction, you've got a one-wheel-wonder.

Justin e36
11-24-2005, 12:16 PM
For the record, to find out if your car is equipped with an LSD diff, jack up the rear end (both sides) and spin one tire by hand... if the opposite tire rotates in the same direction, you've got an LSD! If it spins in the opposite direction, you've got a one-wheel-wonder.

Yup... I hate my one-wheel-wonder. Horrible in the snow.

325iSBimmer
11-24-2005, 01:51 PM
I've driven both the one wheel wonder, no ASC+T in the snow and my car with LSD and I think the LSD is even WORSE!! more dangerous at least.

Say ur going down a snow covered road and u give it gas to accelerate, if the tires start to spin because the LSD is causing both tires to turn the ass end will slide which ever way the road slopes. this can be a cause for concern on the highways when there are cars next to you. at least with the one wheel wonder, that one wheel freely spins away, while you wont get too far too quickly at least you'll stay going straight down that road.

BUT, i love LSD and hence why I have a winter beater to get me around. LSD has way too many advantages for me not to like it just because of the winter issue. :)

jeffrie
11-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Quick clutch or less gas easily correct this rear end wonder, even one wheeler does this just less often. The real advantage with LSD ( besides added tracktion for slopes or car just stuck in the snow) is how to correct the understeer into oversteer when needed, especialy if to slick for ABS to stop you from plowing through that snow bank or telephone pole you could have steered away with a controled oversteer.
IMO for this reason (More Car Control) I think it's way safer the the one wheel wonder which can't be kicked out in an emergency by a blip of the gas.

325iSBimmer
11-24-2005, 04:54 PM
^^^ what u say could very well be true but would you agree that it would take a more skilled driver to controll the LSD vs. the open wheel in the snow? or is it just me that shits my pants any time I get on the gas and that ass end starts to wander in tight TO traffic. maybe it's a good thing i dont drive it in the winter anymore..lol

jeffrie
11-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Suppose it does require more skill and finess, but do not really think it's all that hard. just looks like it IMO. After a few hours practic in a big snowy vacant parking lot (as in snowy with a good base of packed snow, not ashphault with snow on top, that can be dangerous) find & learn the limit's of spin out, how to fether the gas ect... Once you get better, set up a few pilons or some nice bright hats or something that won't do damage and try controled skids with a few turns after between them.
Comes pretty easy after awile, then try again with an open diff, you'll understand then I'm sure and won't care if the rear is drifting on you in everyday driving even in tight traffic.
Or it's very possible I could be just crazy and should be taken off the streets in Ottawa come winter time.

Justin e36
11-24-2005, 07:32 PM
I've different both open diff and LSD in winter... for me LSD seemed much much much much safer. My open diff e36 is ALWAYS fishtailing to one side... it chooses which side at random. Sometimes while just going straight down the street she will decide to swing out, and I have to correct for it. There are times when I just go down the entire street on an angle. I've never had this problem with LSD. It seems worse when launching, and incredibly worse on ice. Mind you, these were two different e36's with different suspension setups / tires... but for me the differenced seemed like night and day.

Soldo
11-24-2005, 08:33 PM
A litttttle off topic, but does anyone know what KIND of LSD setup BMW uses? Is it a spring/clutch LSD, viscous, etc.

Justin e36
11-24-2005, 09:11 PM
e36's use a clutch-type LSD.

Soldo
11-24-2005, 11:06 PM
So if i crack open a 3.15 diff i have lying around i should see little clutch plates and stuff like that?

M3ti Compact
11-24-2005, 11:36 PM
My car has an LSD. Came with the sport package.

propr'one
11-25-2005, 12:20 AM
how come your sport package e36 came with one and my sport package e36 didn't:( iwant a REFUND

windsor318is
11-25-2005, 12:29 AM
lets just say the clutch goes on the LSD in my car, how would i know, what would it do?

jeffrie
11-25-2005, 07:11 AM
So if i crack open a 3.15 diff i have lying around i should see little clutch plates and stuff like that?

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential8.htm
Gives you an Idea as to what it looks like inside.

how come your sport package e36 came with one and my sport package e36 didn't:( iwant a REFUND

They gave you ACS-T instead.

lets just say the clutch goes on the LSD in my car, how would i know, what would it do?

Most likly just one wheel would ever have power, and probably not for long as the chunks of spring an metal shavings do the damage to the rest of the internals & gear set.

Ital_325i
11-25-2005, 04:16 PM
LSD's came on cars equiped with the winter package. Im not sure of all the options that came with the winter package, but I know I dont have it.

The sport package included the sport seats, sport suspension, rims and a few other toys.

SickFinga
11-25-2005, 04:52 PM
LSD's came on cars equiped with the winter package. Im not sure of all the options that came with the winter package, but I know I dont have it.

The sport package included the sport seats, sport suspension, rims and a few other toys.

winter package inclufes heated seats and headlights washers

Justin e36
11-25-2005, 07:35 PM
winter package inclufes heated seats and headlights washers

+ ski bag
+ winter tires

early model e36's didn't come with headlight washers though. (like mine)
LSD was optional.

SickFinga
11-26-2005, 02:02 AM
+ ski bag
+ winter tires

LSD was optional.

my M3 didnt come with a skibag(got foldable seats though), nor with winter tires.

propr'one
11-27-2005, 03:40 PM
+ ski bag
+ winter tires

LSD was optional.

my car has heated seats, but no window washers? so does mine have a winter package? i somewhat doubt it but who knows
edit: my car's a 98 so i dont think that's "early" for a e36