PDA

View Full Version : Question for the e36 gurus

craz azn
11-21-2005, 09:21 AM
I gotta quick question for the e36 guys... A 95 325iS OBD1 with ASC: can this be converted to 5spd without the ASC interfering? Is it possible? How hard to do? Thanks

ScotcH
11-21-2005, 09:52 AM
I gotta quick question for the e36 guys... A 95 325iS OBD1 with ASC: can this be converted to 5spd without the ASC interfering? Is it possible? How hard to do? Thanks

Why not just remove the ACS?

RevShoT
11-21-2005, 10:53 AM
sure y not? auto to manual swap is just like anything else

craz azn
11-21-2005, 11:54 AM
You can take off the ASC? problem is I dont even know what it consists of, lol. I figured it has some kinda computer and probably ties into the DME or teh tranny comp or something like that, thats why I was confused...

propr'one
11-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Justin will correct me, but i think the ASC brain is behind the glovebox with the alarm. Im pretty sure on my car (which has asc+t so may be different) you can disable it with some tinkering under the panel with the ASC+T button

RevShoT
11-21-2005, 03:20 PM
just take the fuse for it out and suddenly it dosent work!

Justin e36
11-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Yep, the ASC+T / ABS computer is located behind the glovebox. As Revshot said, take out the relay in the glovebox marked ASC (orange) and it will no longer be active. Leave the ABS relay (red) in there, as I assume you want the ABS to continue working.

As for the 5-speed swap interfering with ASC, I'm really not sure.

SickFinga
11-21-2005, 04:29 PM
to remove ACS, just remove ACS throttle body ( i circled it with red on the pic)
its part number 4 here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CD93&mospid=47504&btnr=13_0391&hg=13&fg=15
(do not remove the actuator though, or you will lose ABS)

then get rubber boot z3 that goes from HFM to throttle body, its longer ( part 3 here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CK93&mospid=48097&btnr=13_0381&hg=13&fg=15 )

thinair
11-21-2005, 05:33 PM
Or you can just leave the ASC in and it let it work, it won't interfere with the swap at all.

You don't need to remove any fuses or modules if you don't want it to work, just remove the ASC throttle body, replace it with the equivalent 90 elbow and remove the ASC bulb. I did that about 2 years ago with no adverse effects.

paul christians
11-22-2005, 12:49 AM
O.K.just stay with e30s.....hehehe....that was a cool one Rudy...

PedroBMW
11-22-2005, 01:45 AM
Whats the advantage of removing the asc throttle body vs. just removing the fuse? Is there any gain in throttle rsponse or anything after removing the asc TB? I've been debating about doing this myself because I'm getting sick of always forgetting to push the asc button to turn it off.

jeffrie
11-22-2005, 06:57 AM
It's a bottle neck in the throttle body, smaller diameter then the rest of the intake.
Get a little more high end power with it gone.

thinair
11-22-2005, 10:02 AM
What Jeffrie said, plus I believe the ASC fuse is also the fuse for other stuff.

propr'one
11-22-2005, 09:59 PM
Do you guys drive your cars in the winter without asc+t? i find it handy:D

plus i can't drive.

thinair
11-22-2005, 10:39 PM
I haven't driven my e36 in the snow, but I've driven my e28 and e34, neither of them have ASC and it's just. My right foot is a pretty good traction control device, and I can switch to no traction control without pressing a button.

propr'one
11-22-2005, 10:55 PM
lol. i'd give up my traction control to get my cd changer working. But then i'd die. but i'd die listning to ride or die by dmx, so it would make sense.

my traction control randomly turns off though, so i can technically also turn it off without pushing a button

Ital_325i
11-23-2005, 01:34 AM
lol. i'd give up my traction control to get my cd changer working. But then i'd die. but i'd die listning to ride or die by dmx, so it would make sense.

my traction control randomly turns off though, so i can technically also turn it off without pushing a button

I got rid of my changer, the magazine was missing, plus, I installed an after market deck anyways.

Sounds like your cars pretty safe, one minute the traction is on, the next, you hit some ice, and magically its off. Its almost as bad as my cluster, once in a while, it decides, it doesnt feel like telling me what speed were going, or how much gas is left.

My next car is a Yugo, so if something breaks or doesnt work, I wont feel bad kicking the door in, or taking a bat to it. Sometimes cars are more maintenance than a girl.

propr'one
11-23-2005, 04:35 AM
Yeah, that's why we switch girls quicker than we switch cars. My traction control HAS turned off before, but its done it like 2ce over 10K kms. I'd get it fixed, i like knowing if i push my car too hard, it'll push back

jeffrie
11-23-2005, 07:07 AM
Do you guys drive your cars in the winter without asc+t? i find it handy:D

plus i can't drive.

I drive in the snow every year & with a open diff & no traction control it blows in the snow. Well still better then a good 90% of the other cars on the road. With a LSD diff mixed with a skilled right foot is way better then ACS+T IMO on having driven both.

PedroBMW
11-23-2005, 01:51 PM
My 325is never had traction control, it was 5spd with a LSD, never really had a problem in the winters. Tons of fun to screw around with. My 328is has the ASC and it sucks, more of an inconvenience (when I forget to turn it off) than anything so far, it doesnt work very well even in the rain, I agree a skilled foot is much better than the traction control, maybe newer cars have a more refined traction control but on e36's its crap.