PDA

View Full Version : Dinged a parked car

jstalin
11-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Last night, I was at a friends, and as I was backing out of the driveway, I dinged a parked mustang across the street (it was dark)... so I got out and inspected, there was no damage, so I drove away.

So 10 minutes later, my friends neighbor came over with the cops saying someone from his place hit his car... now what should I do? Can I get in trouble for this? Should I just pay him or go thru insurance? Or should I just say f**k it, prove that I did it?

Darkness95m3
11-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Last night, I was at a friends, and as I was backing out of the driveway, I dinged a parked mustang across the street (it was dark)... so I got out and inspected, there was no damage, so I drove away.

So 10 minutes later, my friends neighbor came over with the cops saying someone from his place hit his car... now what should I do? Can I get in trouble for this? Should I just pay him or go thru insurance? Or should I just say f**k it, prove that I did it?

If you know you hit the car. Talk to the neighbour and have him show you the damage. If the damage is fresh and in the area of where your vehicle made contact you should pay for it. I'm sure you could not see the damage since it was very dark.

kidneykill
11-10-2005, 09:52 AM
own up dude... contact the neighbour (and the cops - your buddy should not be inconvenienced for this dude esp. to have his neighbour on his back).. I think this may be cited as "Hit & Run"... you said there was no damage... but that's for the neighbour to decide with you mutually... remember - how would you feel if this happened to your parked bimmer!

King Luis
11-10-2005, 10:06 AM
happened to me the other day. the guy actually came to my door looking for me.
with the guy looking for me it made me feel like i can trust him more. and it really calmed me down that he knew what he did and that he was trying to help me out.
i say go by the guy's house and talk to him. say your story and say you don't want it to go through insurance and that you'll pay for the damages. it shouldn't be much since you could see any damage. might just be a little dent. easy pull and buff it out.

jstalin
11-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.. in truth, I deserve to pay for what I caused, but since I didn't see any damage, I drove away. Is that a crime? Because the car is parked on a dark street, I'm not sure who owns it, and besides, don't you have 48 hours to report an accident?

King Luis
11-10-2005, 10:12 AM
if i didn't see any damage i would of drove off too. and i think you do have 48hrs to report.

jstalin
11-10-2005, 10:23 AM
if i didn't see any damage i would of drove off too. and i think you do have 48hrs to report.

That makes me feel better *th-up*

I'm gonna go over tonight to the guy's house and inspect his car with him... I just feel like a tit about the whole thing.

razor/m5
11-10-2005, 11:11 AM
do the right thing man, go over tell the guy. Just imagine if it was your car that was hit. My grandfather did the same thing last year and took off. My neighbour came over ( saw it happen ) he wasnt being a prick, but my grandfather (89) refused to pay, guess who had to pay.......ME

Veemax
11-10-2005, 11:19 AM
let us know what happens...

While back there was a thread of all the crazy things you can do to piss your neighbour off...

ohh the memories....

jstalin
11-10-2005, 11:25 AM
do the right thing man, go over tell the guy. Just imagine if it was your car that was hit. My grandfather did the same thing last year and took off. My neighbour came over ( saw it happen ) he wasnt being a prick, but my grandfather (89) refused to pay, guess who had to pay.......ME

Yeah, I'm going to go over tonight and talk to the guy... I didn't see any damage, but it was dark and it's possible there's some scrapes on the bumper. As long as he's not a prick and trying to claim more damage than I caused then I've no problem paying. Otherwise, he can take me to court and prove it.

Basically though, by having to drive way out there, I'm missing out on some serious potential poker earnings which I won't be accomodated for.

Chris de la Cruz
11-10-2005, 12:18 PM
i've done the same thing when i first started driving with my g1 :D i backed into my buddy's neighbours car and moved it over by like 2 feet.. looked at the car and there was no damage at all... not even a scratch so yeah me and my dad just drove off... no worries it happens to the best of us

jstalin
11-10-2005, 12:29 PM
I just don't like the fact that he called the cops. Especially over nothing like this. If it weren't for the fact that I don't want to inconvenience my friend I'd tell him to get stuffed

SeRb
11-10-2005, 12:39 PM
if you didnt see any damage at night then there's probably no major damage on it...

probably chipped his paint and maybe caused a small dent...

it would be right to pay for the damage, just put yourself in his shoes

good luck

///MsAniTy
11-10-2005, 12:41 PM
In that sort of situation you shouldve caleld the guy out inspected the car and then if there was no damage then left. But now the owner might be mad at you and might want top notch work done on a small scratch

jstalin
11-10-2005, 12:47 PM
In that sort of situation you shouldve caleld the guy out inspected the car and then if there was no damage then left. But now the owner might be mad at you and might want top notch work done on a small scratch

That's just it, the car was parked on the street, I didn't know who owned it, it wasn't directly infront of any particular house. If he wants top notch work, he can get stuffed, there's no way anyone can prove I did it.

Question: If I went through insurance, would it affect me big-tyme?

propr'one
11-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Yes it would, especially if it gets cited as a hit and run. Just tell him you wrote down the plate number of the car, tried to determine whos car it was but were unsucessful in doing so. Or tell them you thought it was YOUR friends car. and dont admit to hitting it until they agree not to cite it as a hit and run. It was dark, my music was on, i guess i might've hit it. You should pay for the damages 100%, but dont get charged with a hit and run

jstalin
11-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Yes it would, especially if it gets cited as a hit and run. Just tell him you wrote down the plate number of the car, tried to determine whos car it was but were unsucessful in doing so. Or tell them you thought it was YOUR friends car. and dont admit to hitting it until they agree not to cite it as a hit and run. It was dark, my music was on, i guess i might've hit it. You should pay for the damages 100%, but dont get charged with a hit and run

But isn't a hit and run only a hit & run after $x of damage is done?

Also, since I have 48 hours, I could still technically report it, right? You are not required by law to contact the police after an accident anymore. Plus, no one wrote seen my license plate or me driving, so it'd be next to impossible for a charge to stick.

But if I just tell him to contact my insurance co for the $, would taht screw my over with my rates?

TheMadChigga
11-10-2005, 01:58 PM
IIRC, if the damage is less than $1000 and no physical injuries, you do not have to report it to police, in fact, most officers ignore it.

just go to the neighbour and talk to him, BUT, remember to protect yourself too, so what you can say is that YOU think you hit someone's car, but unsure who/what car it was, so gives u a space to decide if you really want to claim the responsibility, cause the guy might be a total jackass and try to squeeze you dry for any money.

but if the guy is a pretty stand up guy, work it out and get it fix.

I scratched my high school teacher's car one day, I went to him, and he's like "yea...... that's my mother-in-law's car.... and I don't like her".

razor/m5
11-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Dont bother going through insurance , it's not worth it

erikIS
11-10-2005, 06:37 PM
**** him. who cares... don't be a bitch mr nice guy.. it own't get you anywhere.. do you seriously want to pay and deal with this cocksucker? I know i wouldnt'..

And yeha, vise versa, if someone hit my car and took off and i didnt catch him, tough hsit. i dont care. Welcome to 2005 , **** me, **** you attitude ;)

I wouldnt go back there, **** that.. and POSSIBLY get charged with a hit and run.. theres a good chance you may, think the cop cares if you SAW the damage or not?? the report has already been filed! you hit his car and took off! hahaha.. trust me... guy is probably boiling on the inside and isn't thinkn straight, then he will call the popo.. they'll show up at your door and take you away.. iv seen it happen.

Cheers, best of luck.. take my advice,. **** him. save your money.. and buy me a two-four of bud.

spooner_dee
11-11-2005, 06:36 AM
at work the other day, some dude was parked in a NO PARKING spot, ran in the hospital did what he had to do then came running out got in his car backed up and SLAMMED another car, like i mean hit it hard the car lurched back and forth, i was on the phone at the time and im like holey sh*t and b4 i could even finish saying that he sped off, didnt even look or nuttin. i wish i would have gotten his plate number.

since ive had my car, 9 months or so its been hit twice while parked with me present both times.the first time i got into an argument with the woman who first denied she caused the damage then changed her story and said she didnt hit my car. needless to say cops were called, cop took my side then talked to me for like a half hour about my car lol. The second time i was watchin the dude back up to leave and i yelled WOAH and he backed into my front bumper then threw it in drive at which point i planted my foot into his rear fender and he sped off. I hate when people dont own up to thing they blatently do like that. im glad your not gonna be one of those pricks, if you make a mistake like that just be nice own up to it and im sure all will go well.

jstalin
11-11-2005, 11:06 AM
He was actually decent about it, he's going to get the cheapest possible estimate and I've no problem paying as long as he's not a dick about it. Accidents happen, but still wanna see the actual damage

King Luis
11-11-2005, 12:29 PM
He was actually decent about it, he's going to get the cheapest possible estimate and I've no problem paying as long as he's not a dick about it. Accidents happen, but still wanna see the actual damage
thats exactly what happened with me. i found the cheapest but still good quality shop and i'm being cool with the guy since he actually came and told me he hit my car. if the guy ever starts acting like a dick just say that you could of taken off and he would of had to pay for the damages. *th-up*

jstalin
11-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Well, it turns out there's over 1500$ damages, so I talked to my insurance and asked if it were claimed thru insurance would my rates go up... my broker said no, since it's not a chargeable offence, does that sound right? Basically, he claims it thru his liability and doesn't affect me.

propr'one
11-14-2005, 04:47 PM
if he claims it through his liability, that would be true, but he wont. he'll charge it through yours.

Mike54900
11-14-2005, 07:35 PM
What time was this at, I'am from London and you aren't allowed to park your car from 3am-5am on the streets.

SpudBoy
11-14-2005, 07:48 PM
**** him. who cares... don't be a bitch mr nice guy.. it own't get you anywhere.. do you seriously want to pay and deal with this cocksucker? I know i wouldnt'..

And yeha, vise versa, if someone hit my car and took off and i didnt catch him, tough hsit. i dont care. Welcome to 2005 , **** me, **** you attitude ;)

I wouldnt go back there, **** that.. and POSSIBLY get charged with a hit and run.. theres a good chance you may, think the cop cares if you SAW the damage or not?? the report has already been filed! you hit his car and took off! hahaha.. trust me... guy is probably boiling on the inside and isn't thinkn straight, then he will call the popo.. they'll show up at your door and take you away.. iv seen it happen.

Cheers, best of luck.. take my advice,. **** him. save your money.. and buy me a two-four of bud.

erikIS: Please don't park near me... ever. This is the attitude that causes our high insurance rates.

jstalin: Your broker will change you to another company but if not your insurance rates will go up next year. The company will say "do to increased theft and fraud you must pay 50% more" If you make a claim. It happened to me when a guy hit (and run) my legally parked car. You should pay for the damage you caused but if said damage was invisible at night then $1500 seems a little steep. You can probably work it out a long as you didn't hit erikIS.

Miguel
11-14-2005, 10:07 PM
you're going to pound-me-in-the-ass prison.

PedroBMW
11-14-2005, 11:16 PM
$1500!! and u said u didnt even notice it at night. Buddy is ****ing u for sure, I've seen it more than once, blindly takes it to a body shop, says someone else is paying, they say whatever. Do this man don't go threw insurance, ask everyone u know if they know a good body man, if u can find one, tell the guy to take the car there, and Talk to the guy yourself!!!! tell him your stuation, say you want cheap, if it was unnoticeable at night, I'd say 95% chance that falls in the $400 or less range. If its thats small of damage any place will be able to fix this douchbag's car well, not like its a bimmer anyway lol jk. Anyway yeah same thing happened to my cousin Body Shop #1 over $1000 quote, replace bumper, blah blah blah. BodyShop #2 after he told him the situation, they repaired the existing bumper with fibreglass, and repainted, $450. Anyway Good Luck man, but I'd avoid insurance at all costs if I were you.

jstalin
11-15-2005, 10:11 AM
Here's the rest of the story...

So I went down to report the accident to the etobicoke reporting centre, to be nice and make it easier for him to claim insurance. They told me that I must go to Mississauga and file the claim there. So I drove down to the Police Dept and told an officer I wanted to file an accident claim, and explained the story. He insisted on seeing my car, examined it and said he will not allow me to file a claim without seeing the other guy's car. He said it's impossible for a bmw to cause $1500 damage to an all-steel mustang without causing even a scratch on a plastic bmw bumper.

So yeah, the guy is probably trying to screw me over. I'll let insurance sort it out.

mirek
11-15-2005, 12:06 PM
$1500!! and u said u didnt even notice it at night. Buddy is ****ing u for sure, I've seen it more than once, blindly takes it to a body shop, says someone else is paying, they say whatever. Do this man don't go threw insurance, ask everyone u know if they know a good body man, if u can find one, tell the guy to take the car there, and Talk to the guy yourself!!!! tell him your stuation, say you want cheap, if it was unnoticeable at night, I'd say 95% chance that falls in the $400 or less range. If its thats small of damage any place will be able to fix this douchbag's car well, not like its a bimmer anyway lol jk. Anyway yeah same thing happened to my cousin Body Shop #1 over $1000 quote, replace bumper, blah blah blah. BodyShop #2 after he told him the situation, they repaired the existing bumper with fibreglass, and repainted, $450. Anyway Good Luck man, but I'd avoid insurance at all costs if I were you.

if someone hits me, i will not let them fix my bumper with fiberglass and repaint it. I want a new bumper. I dont want a "repaired" bumper. Would you rather buy a repaired bumper? or a bumper that's never been fixed.?

Think about it.

erikIS
11-16-2005, 02:41 AM
Hahahahaahahahahahahaha noone listens to me

ScorpionChick
11-17-2005, 05:14 PM
So, have you seen the other person's car yet?

PedroBMW
11-19-2005, 10:44 PM
if someone hits me, i will not let them fix my bumper with fiberglass and repaint it. I want a new bumper. I dont want a "repaired" bumper. Would you rather buy a repaired bumper? or a bumper that's never been fixed.?

Think about it.

Either would I, but this weiner probably doesn't give a shit, most people could car less as long as it looks good and it will never effect them. (Not everyone is a picky as us lol) Either way I was just tryin to tell him the cheapest way to go, If I was giving the OTHER guy (mustang owner) advice I'd say get it fixed the way you want it fixed, but I'm not giving him advice, and either way he sounds like a ****ing jerk anyway. So I'll give him another peice advice in this case, just get a couple more quotes, get the cheapest, or just go to Maaco and have them slap some silly putty on there and respray, but either way he's already gone through insurance anyway so, I pretty much just typed this extra paragraph of writing to just get my fingers tired. I've just had some crap with insurance myslef and the only lesson I've learned is, the less claims made the better.

jstalin
11-21-2005, 12:56 PM
So, have you seen the other person's car yet?

No, he refuses to let me see it. Which is making me very suspicious, and I suggested that we both go to the police and report together, so the cop can examine both cars, and he just said he's going to call the cops and say hit and run... so basically, he can go f himself

erikIS
11-22-2005, 04:08 AM
BWAHAHAAAHAHAHHAH!!

READ MY ORIGINAL POST!!!!!! LOLROFLMFLALROLOFLLRMAORMFO

BWAHAHA

you just got ****ed by your own stupidity.. I hope it was all worth it being a nice guy...

4-banger
11-22-2005, 05:15 AM
^^^ lol

4-banger
11-22-2005, 05:16 AM
ur soo mean^^

4-banger
11-22-2005, 05:16 AM
ur soo mean^^

jstalin
11-22-2005, 09:44 AM
BWAHAHAAAHAHAHHAH!!

READ MY ORIGINAL POST!!!!!! LOLROFLMFLALROLOFLLRMAORMFO

BWAHAHA

you just got ****ed by your own stupidity.. I hope it was all worth it being a nice guy...

How did I get screwed over? I haven't paid/admitted anything or claimed anything. I think he's just trying to rip me off.

Nascar318is
11-22-2005, 10:37 AM
You will get F***ed over if he does call it in as a hit and run, especially if he has your plate number.

So here's your options

-Pay his $1500 repair bill
-Or get charged with hit and run, dunno about Ontario but Quebec it's 9 points*shiner*
-Find out where he lives and go look at the car yourself and get pics...or make it really worth $1500+ damage with your louisville slugger...
-What about going back to the cop shop and telling them that he doesn't want you to see his car and he's going to charge you with hit and run, if you don't pay the $1500...

mirek
11-22-2005, 11:13 AM
-What about going back to the cop shop and telling them that he doesn't want you to see his car and he's going to charge you with hit and run, if you don't pay the $1500...

do this.

jstalin
11-22-2005, 02:32 PM
You will get F***ed over if he does call it in as a hit and run, especially if he has your plate number.

So here's your options

-Pay his $1500 repair bill
-Or get charged with hit and run, dunno about Ontario but Quebec it's 9 points*shiner*
-Find out where he lives and go look at the car yourself and get pics...or make it really worth $1500+ damage with your louisville slugger...

I can't be charged with hit and run, here is why. You are only required to report an accident in Ontario if the damage appears to be over $1000, and you have 48 hours to do so. There appeared to be no damage at time of inspection, so nothing to report.

To cover myself, I went to to the Etobicoke reporting centre, and they said that I did NOT have to report it, since there appeared to be no damage.

Nascar318is
11-22-2005, 02:41 PM
That's good then, thats when you turn around and tell buddy to charge you, cause then nothing will happen and you won't have to pay him a dime....but then I would keep an eye on my car.

erikIS
11-22-2005, 04:52 PM
be diplomatic, go to the police station, explain the situation.. they will get in contact with the owner of the vehicle. You can go with the cop to see the damage, im sure you are more then entitled to that. Make sure you take pictures.

Tell him you agree paying on it on one standard, you go with him to get estimates.

If you don't like it, its a civil matter. Police can't do shit, he can take you to court where you have a good chance since he is being such a faggot.

Cheers