PDA

View Full Version : Whine from power steering

propr'one
11-09-2005, 07:07 PM
When my car starts and its cold, when driving at like 10-15 KM/h, when i turn the wheel a loud whine comes from (i presume) the power steering mechanism. Any ideas?

razor/m5
11-09-2005, 07:25 PM
power steering fluid maybe ?

Darkness95m3
11-09-2005, 07:54 PM
1) Low Fluid (Add fluid first)
2) Fluid needs changing (Water in system)
3) Pump is on it's way out.

propr'one
11-09-2005, 08:15 PM
phew, none of those (especially the first two) seem horribly expensive.

Justin e36
11-09-2005, 08:19 PM
1) Low Fluid (Add fluid first)
2) Fluid needs changing (Water in system)
3) Pump is on it's way out.

This is if it is actually coming from the steering wheel pump. However, e36's have a stupid buggy steering wheel mechanism that, when cold. Likes to squeak when you turn the wheel. If it's not too-too cold then it'll sound like its coming from under the car (which is actually where it is coming from), if it's very cold it will sound like its coming from the steering wheel itself. But the source is still under the car... the sound just travels through the hollow steering wheel rack.

So if your sound is a GROANNNNNNNNNNNN when you turn the wheel, then follow what Darkness95m3 said. If it's a SQUEAK then you'll have to get your car on a hoist and lube up your steering rack.

Edit:
Another way to tell is:

If you turn your steering wheel and hold it turned and you still hear a groan, then follow Darkness's advice. If you only hear the sound as you're turning the wheel, then it needs lube.

propr'one
11-09-2005, 08:51 PM
If you turn your steering wheel and hold it turned and you still hear a groan, then follow Darkness's advice. If you only hear the sound as you're turning the wheel, then it needs lube.
This is exactly what happens.

Vinay (owner of pythonparts) just told me that he thinks my car uses automatic transmission fluid as power steering fluid. that accurate?

I hope its not my power steering pump, i just found out they cost 627$:(

Justin e36
11-09-2005, 09:20 PM
I use Valvoline SynPower:
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=22

I'll bet it's just almost empty. Why don't you check? .. only takes a minute.

propr'one
11-09-2005, 10:34 PM
Justin, be thou my god:D

(there was about as much ATF in the reservoir as there is gas in my car(none))

Justin e36
11-09-2005, 10:48 PM
lol... well there ya go. take another car to pick up some fluid tomorrow, or pick some up from a gas station tonight if you don't mind paying extra. don't drive with the fluid low if you don't have to... doesn't take long to kill the steering pump.

propr'one
11-09-2005, 10:52 PM
i had some ATF lying around, everything's all fixed. I never knew steering was suppsed to be so effortless

T.Dot_E30
11-09-2005, 10:55 PM
i had some ATF lying around, everything's all fixed. I never knew steering was suppsed to be so effortless

When things actually work it works wonders dont they.

propr'one
11-09-2005, 11:26 PM
i have yet to have my first "oh F&*K it costs 8374$ just cause its a bmw repair." Surprisingly enough most of the stuff i've done so far hasen't been unreasonable. But it'll get there, i know it will:D

V-Thang
11-09-2005, 11:43 PM
seems like just low fluid. happened to me in the summer when i had a power steering leak, it was the first time hearing that noise... i checked the fluid level and it was low, added some and 3 weeks after the noise came back. turned out two hoses were cracked.

so check your power steering lines, hoses and pump

propr'one
11-10-2005, 01:02 AM
yeah. me. working on hoses. im assuming those are the rubber things that connect one dealie to the other.

i'll tell my mechanic to check them

(im not aristocratic, or too good to work on my own car. im just stupid:))