PDA

View Full Version : Bmw Dinan SuperCharger help/feedback

MV325IS
11-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Im looking for some feedback please.

Im thinking of purchasing this Dinan SuperCharger for my 92 325IS that was listed on ebay directly from the seller...you may know him...he may even be a member...any in sight to this kit would greatly be apreciated...thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8009646152&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

MV325IS
11-04-2005, 06:58 PM
No one ?

Justin e36
11-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Good price, but personally I don't trust used FI equipment. Plus it only pushes out 6lb of boost.. you don't need to spend that kind of money for so little boost.

MV325IS
11-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Justin
Do you have any other recomendations on what you would recomend to gain more horsepower...budget of around $4000.00

I know that this is probable a question with a bazzilion answers....but what would be the simplest quickest way to gain more HP ?

Thanks

SickFinga
11-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Good price, but personally I don't trust used FI equipment. Plus it only pushes out 6lb of boost.. you don't need to spend that kind of money for so little boost.

Yet you bought used AA kit :)

here is my 2 cents on the kit.

1. Its a powerdine unit, meaning NOT GOOD, look for Vortech version
2. Seller claims its a Stage III kit. I believe Dinan only has one stage.
3. That filter looks like it had way more than 5000 km
4. It won't work on your car. Your car is non-Vanos, his ecu is for VANOS engine. So it looks like you gonna have to get custom software.

3k usd and reserve not met is kinda high imo, add a couple of hundred bucks, and its a used RMS Stage II category, which is a much better kit.

MV325IS
11-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks sickfinga...
I dont really know mods & products to well...but im havin fun non the less !!
Let me ask you this...
do you think this exhaust was a decent deal...and is the product good? $728 CDN to my door
Hope so as its sitting in my garage ready to go on the car.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428639

SickFinga
11-04-2005, 08:42 PM
yes, you bought the best exhaust money can buy :D
well maybe not, but I got the same exhaust, and love it to death, best mod I've ever done.
If I had to do it again, AA GENIII is the only way I would go.

P.S. It might look a bit wierd on non-M3 rear bumper.
Tips gonna stick out a bit too much

MV325IS
11-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Thanks... i just spoke with the turbo seller and he guarantes it will fit...but id rather not take the chance...im more apt to beleave your post as it sounds like you know what your talking about.

So what do i spend this 4 grand on now is the question ?

would this one work for me ?
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59289&highlight=charger

SickFinga
11-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Thanks... i just spoke with the turbo seller and he guarantes it will fit...but id rather not take the chance...im more apt to beleave your post as it sounds like you know what your talking about.

So what do i spend this 4 grand on now is the question ?

would this one work for me ?
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59289&highlight=charger

turbo seller?? you mean supercharger seller?

Supercharger kit, should fit. It might not fit cause it is designed for 93+ M50 engine with VANOS. So some brackets might be different.
Dinan claims that supercharger on ebay will fit only 93+ cars
same for the AA kit that JazzM is selling.
It might be just because they didnt develop software for non-VANOS cars and brackets are different.
All I can say, no matter what kit you are thiking of getting, you will HAVE to get custom software for it, since AA and Dinan do not have it.

MV325IS
11-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Sorry i mean supercharger...hmm guess ill just have to keep searching for something that will work :(

Thanks for the info

Justin e36
11-04-2005, 09:31 PM
Yet you bought used AA kit :)

My kit is brand new, still in bubble wrap and boxed up. :) ... I got a knockoff AA Turbo kit though (not SC)... (ripoff of this: http://www.activeautowerke.com/turbo/obd1s2/main.php)

Same hardware, design, injectors, but uses a Garrett turbocharger, and came with an Apex-I S-AFC II Airflow Computer. pic here: http://store1.yimg.com/I/racinglab_1868_36899764 instead of the replacement E-PROM. Came with some other hardware as well like a CAI, turbo timer, heat sheilding, etc. And cost much less than four grand.. though I got raped on shipping + customs for those 3 heavy boxes.

SickFinga
11-04-2005, 09:39 PM
My kit is brand new, still in bubble wrap and boxed up. :) ... I got a knockoff AA Turbo kit though (not SC)... (ripoff of this: http://www.activeautowerke.com/turbo/obd1s2/main.php)

Same hardware, design, injectors, but uses a Garrett turbocharger, and came with an Apex-I S-AFC II Airflow Computer. pic here: http://store1.yimg.com/I/racinglab_1868_36899764 instead of the replacement E-PROM. Came with some other hardware as well like a CAI, turbo timer, heat sheilding, etc. And cost much less than four grand.. though I got raped on shipping + customs for those 3 heavy boxes.

hmmmm i always thought you had used genuine AA Stage I Turbo kit for some reason :confused: :confused:
Is it ebay turbo kit?

///MsAniTy
11-04-2005, 10:36 PM
There is a S/C kit in the for sale section by JAZZM and I beleive he is also throwing something else into the deal also

Justin e36
11-04-2005, 11:09 PM
Nope, AA replica w/ Garrett GT turbo.

MV325IS
11-05-2005, 11:15 AM
I dont think JAZZM's kit will work for me... i have a 92 325IS
But i dont know :(

Justin...would the kit you bought for under 4 grand work for me ?

MV325IS
11-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Justin,
If you do consider selling do you have any idea what you are looking for price wise ?...I dont meen to be pushy but i was hoping to come up with something this week, if i can find it that is.
Im kinda at lost what to do here...:(
Jazz is going to call Dinan to see whats involved getting his kit to work with a non vanos engine

JazzM
11-05-2005, 01:30 PM
The kit (Active Autowerke NOT dinan) will work on your car and MarkD can do the software... the problem is with pre 93 e36 cars having a weak rear subframe issue.

You should address that first before adding a lot more stress on it.

T.

MV325IS
11-05-2005, 01:34 PM
woops...AA not dinan...my bad :(
Wonder what it would take to beef up the rear subframe

JazzM
11-05-2005, 01:37 PM
http://www.nexternal.com/bimmerworl/Product541

The M3s came with these re-enforcement plates... they need to be welded on. Not sure what the part number is but the dealership can source it as well... should be about $140 CND.

T.

just325iS
11-09-2005, 03:27 PM
My friend can do the subframe re-enforcement plates for you. He actually makes them himself and they are a lot thicker than the ones you buy from BMW. If you want to go hardcore like me, replace all the rubber bushings with aluminum ones. There are a couple of other things that you should do if you want to put the power down but I'll let you know if you are going to really get the kit.

As for fitment, everything should fit just fine, I got a RMS kit on my 92. As for software, just ask Mark D, he's got a copy of my chip. He'll have to cut back the fuel since my car was programed for 10 psi but that won't be hard.

My advice, if you are going to get a charger, you'll need an LSD as well and count on getting better suspension and brakes as well. Plan on spending big money to get the car's dynamic balance again. If you don't, you'll just wiggle your as end all over the road.

MV325IS
11-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Thanks.. i got a price quote from MarkD for the chip....and an istallation quote...im going to look at the kit tommorow

Justin e36
11-09-2005, 03:44 PM
My friend can do the subframe re-enforcement plates for you. He actually makes them himself and they are a lot thicker than the ones you buy from BMW. If you want to go hardcore like me, replace all the rubber bushings with aluminum ones. There are a couple of other things that you should do if you want to put the power down but I'll let you know if you are going to really get the kit.

As for fitment, everything should fit just fine, I got a RMS kit on my 92. As for software, just ask Mark D, he's got a copy of my chip. He'll have to cut back the fuel since my car was programed for 10 psi but that won't be hard.

My advice, if you are going to get a charger, you'll need an LSD as well and count on getting better suspension and brakes as well. Plan on spending big money to get the car's dynamic balance again. If you don't, you'll just wiggle your as end all over the road.

.. how much does your friend charge for these reinforcement plates?

MV325IS
11-09-2005, 03:46 PM
just325iS: PM'd you for plate quote please

SickFinga
11-09-2005, 04:20 PM

Totaly forgot that you got 92.

Is the kit any different from VANOS engine types?

Were Dinan and AA just too lazy to develop non-VANOS software?

JazzM
11-09-2005, 04:21 PM
MarkD can do it! :D and once you reenforce that rear end you'll be good...

An LSD with higher gearing would be nice too... as it will help keep the engine in the higher RPMs.

BTW, I have some guages here too (VDO boost and Autometer Z series Air/Fuel ratio). Both of those are 2 1/4 (standard size). You'll need a pod or some e36 guage cluster.

T.

MV325IS
11-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Did the 92 325IS not come with a LSD ?
Both my tires lay a patch of rubber so im assuming its a LSD
Correct me if im wrong please

JazzM
11-09-2005, 05:12 PM
yes the IS model came with an LSD. 25% lockup

FYI, www.realoem.com is a great source for part information

T.

MV325IS
11-09-2005, 05:32 PM
Thanks JazzM..see ya tommorow

SickFinga
11-09-2005, 05:46 PM
yes the IS model came with an LSD. 25% lockup

FYI, www.realoem.com is a great source for part information

T.

not all IS had LSD.
the only way to check is to look at the diff, or try to make a donut :)

Tom, your VDO gauge, is it 15psi one?
How much do you want for it?

MV325IS
11-09-2005, 05:50 PM
What am i looking for when i look at the diff ?

http://www.mikevanelst.com/hostpics/diff.jpg

SickFinga
11-09-2005, 06:14 PM
supposed to say lsd on it

just325iS
11-11-2005, 04:21 AM
I'll ask him on friday and let you know how much it will cost.

Yeah, they were all too lazy to do the software for the '92 and that's the reason why I had to drove all the way to Cali to get my kit installed and tunned. Well at least someone else will benefit from my hard work. Almost 5000km there and back.

Sickfinga, how's your car doing? Has the noise gotten worse. I'm going to order another charger sometime next year through JRP since I have a friend that works there. He should be able to get a good deal. Would you be interested in one, yourself? I'm going to try to rebuilt the other one myself using stronger seals and stuff. We'll see how that works out.

Waterwings
11-11-2005, 02:06 PM
it has a little metal tag on the top of the diff housing. Its about an inch and a half long and if just attached to one of the bolts holding the diff cover on

propr'one
11-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Justin where'd you buy your kit?