PDA

View Full Version : Custom headunit install

Big T
11-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Okay, I want to order a indash screen for the bimmer(94 E36), but also want to keep my deck.

So my plan was to move the deck down to where the sunglass holder is and install my screen where the deck used to be.

Took apart my interior today and found out that the deck is too long to fit into the sunglass holder, there is a plastic wall behind the holder. Is it possible to cut that plastic wall? Or remove it so the deck can slide in all the way? Or am I SOL.

Thanks *uzi*

97M3/4
11-03-2005, 10:41 PM
im not sure if this will work, but what if you move your climate control unit down, then move your deck where the ccu was and put the screen on top?

Justin e36
11-04-2005, 05:56 AM
Is it possible to cut it? Yes, many people have broken the plastic back there and installed a second deck there. I believe that plastic piece is what carrys the heat/air down to the footwell. So if you break it, you'll need to seal it up and not use it for your feet. If you do a search on here you'll see some of the installs where people have put a DIN there.

Justin e36
11-04-2005, 05:57 AM
im not sure if this will work, but what if you move your climate control unit down, then move your deck where the ccu was and put the screen on top?

This is also a possibility, though not as neat of a job. The climate control harness will need to be extended, and it is physically rounded in the bottom corners.

I think SuperM3 has something like this done on his e36.