PDA

View Full Version : Rear ball joint tool

windwagen
11-01-2005, 11:09 PM
I'm about to buy one of these things to work on my car. But before I do, does anyone have one that they can lend/rent to me?

thanks

Soldo
11-02-2005, 12:53 AM
if your talkin about one of these [object Object]http://partners.drivewerks.com/catalog/images/tools2003/OLD-1996.jpg (http://partners.drivewerks.com/catalog/images/tools2003/OLD-1996.jpg)

Ya i have one, but i live quite a distance from markham, you can grab it if you'd like, i only charge ya a spin in the 540, but this is a very useful tool to get!

Pretty cheap at PRINCESS AUTO too!

windwagen
11-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Thanks, but that's not it. I bought a set of those for the front lower control arms at Princess auto too.

This thing looks like a big screw with some big cups on the ends. You got me pretty excited for a second!

Soldo
11-03-2005, 10:23 PM
hahaha..... my garage is filled with goodies, show me a pic!
Might be able to hlep you out!

windwagen
11-04-2005, 11:21 AM
This is what I need, the tool is the pieces on the left....thanks

http://ca.geocities.com/wong5102@rogers.com/BallJointTool.bmp

Soldo
11-05-2005, 01:59 AM
what the ****KKKKKKKKKKKKKK...... what kinda rear balljoints you got? I've always come to learn that whenever you dont have a BMW special tool...... you do the next best thing.... IMPROVISE!

Wouldn't they work in a press to be pressed out, like how the new bal joints get pressed in??

windwagen
11-05-2005, 09:35 AM
The ball joints are shown on the right. I could press them out, which is what I was planning to do (hydraulic press at work), but then I would have to remove the entire lower control arm, which is more work. This press is designed to do it on the car.

Improvise - Any of my friends will tell you that I am the MASTER of HACK!! But this time, seeing that the "precision" lower control arms are made of Aluminum, I think I'll blow the $250.00 and buy the tool. I am splitting it with another E39 driver, so it's really $125.00, plus I can lend/rent it to others too. What's really lame is that T&C BMW won't sell it to me and said that is costs $1000.00! I contacted a BMW in Atlanta,and I'm going to pick it up when I'm there next wek ...need anything?

Soldo
11-05-2005, 10:23 AM
hmmmm...... very tempting. I hate it when BMW does that, i ran into the same problem when i was trying to replace my clutch. The bolts on the transmission require a stupid socket that only BMW carries. They refused to sell me the tool, so i had to improvise and i ended up getting a fabricated socket. Works great, but such a PITA!

Is the tool really a grand? Buying a tool like this.... guess your gonna HAVE TO keep the 540, darn, hehehe!

lowell
11-05-2005, 02:38 PM
This is what I need, the tool is the pieces on the left....thanks

http://ca.geocities.com/wong5102@rogers.com/BallJointTool.bmp

Windwagen -- Definitely get that tool. It looks like a pretty good replica of the OEM one. Be sure to use lots of grease on the threads ;)

Soldomatic -- Doesn't the car have inverted torx bolts on the tranny bellhousing? Should be a combination of E12/E14s with one M6 holding the dust shield to the front of the trans.

best, whit

Soldo
11-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Ya, but at the time of the swap, i brought the bolts into canadian tire and other auto stores, and they had nothing that i could use!
And the different sizes drove me crazy too!

windwagen
11-05-2005, 09:35 PM
hmmmm...... very tempting. I hate it when BMW does that, i ran into the same problem when i was trying to replace my clutch. The bolts on the transmission require a stupid socket that only BMW carries. They refused to sell me the tool, so i had to improvise and i ended up getting a fabricated socket. Works great, but such a PITA!

Is the tool really a grand? Buying a tool like this.... guess your gonna HAVE TO keep the 540, darn, hehehe!

T&C BMW said 1 grand and they wouldn't sell it to me anyway..losers..
I got a price of $209.00 US at a dealer in Atlanta, where I will be for business this week anyway. I was going to fix the balljoints, even if I have to sell the car, so I can certify it. But, I'm having second thoughts. If I must sell one car, I'm going to see if I can disable the passenger airbag so that one of the kids can sit up front. Then, I'll have to do some serious ass licking to convince my wife to drive stick. I'll get the company van for the days when we really need the space. *th-up*

zzzreyes
11-06-2005, 03:42 PM
I know that on my 3 series in the past, when I had my joints changed it was a pain in the ass without the right tool, I am guessing it would be the same for the 5 series... hmm... I would be willing on renting the tool of you when I need to change mine :D

windwagen
11-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Ok - Got it, in case someone needs it :)