PDA

View Full Version : another chime...what is wrong now?

e36chick
11-01-2005, 02:05 PM
well the ABS/ trac control lights are on in my car cos of a dirty sensor...that beeps at me occasionally. now over the past couple of days there is another chime...one low, longish tone, kinda quiet...which sounds at no particular time, and there is no accompanying light so i have no clue what that is for. also when u hear it, it makes you look to the left...almost as its coming from the...door? :confused:

anyone know what the hell this is?

thanks...

mirek
11-01-2005, 03:26 PM
well the ABS/ trac control lights are on in my car cos of a dirty sensor...that beeps at me occasionally. now over the past couple of days there is another chime...one low, longish tone, kinda quiet...which sounds at no particular time, and there is no accompanying light so i have no clue what that is for. also when u hear it, it makes you look to the left...almost as its coming from the...door? :confused:

anyone know what the hell this is?

thanks...

it dings at about 3'C to let you know to watch out for black ice

e36chick
11-01-2005, 04:03 PM
ohhhhh....ok that must be it. the computer doesnt flash a warning for that?

Big T
11-01-2005, 04:42 PM
ohhhhh....ok that must be it. the computer doesnt flash a warning for that?

The temperature reading should flash

Justin e36
11-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Yes. The chime means that the exterior ambient temperature is reading a temp drop to 3 degrees celcius. It means there is possible black ice on the ground. It also means the heated mirrors, and windshield washer nozzles are turning on. At this temperature if you raise the drivers side door handle it will also activate an element in the lock cylinder to heat up and melt any ice in there. (de-icer).

e36chick
11-01-2005, 10:58 PM
wow ok....but like big T said, the temp reading should flash...and nothing flashed...

Justin e36
11-01-2005, 11:16 PM
did the temp reading say 3 degrees?

e36chick
11-02-2005, 12:21 AM
no it didnt say anything. my comp usually flashes when i turn the car on, telling me i need to check my coolant. (reservoir is low, coolant in radiator is fine)

e36chick
11-02-2005, 12:22 AM
thats it tho, doesnt flash temp warnings

Justin e36
11-02-2005, 01:03 AM
Is it happening every hour?... It could be your memo. That will chime 3x on 11 or 18 button e36 OBC's as well. Check on the display with your clock... beside it if you see a symbol that looks kinda like a speaker. If you see it, then your memo is enabled. It's basically like an alarm clock to remind you to listen to your favorite radio station.

The symbol looks kinda like this:
-∙I|

digiital
11-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Do all e36's have the option to heat the mirrors and nozzles? I had my chime go off last week when the temp dropped down to about 3c, I knew I had that option. But didn't know about the mirror thing, will the heater kick in automatic when it gets cold?

Asking the stupid questions since I don't have a damn manual for the car.

Justin e36
11-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Do all e36's have the option to heat the mirrors and nozzles? I had my chime go off last week when the temp dropped down to about 3c, I knew I had that option. But didn't know about the mirror thing, will the heater kick in automatic when it gets cold?

Asking the stupid questions since I don't have a damn manual for the car.

Yes, they all have them. The nozzels and mirrors will heat automatically.

digiital
11-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Wicked. Thanks Justin.

Need to start a FAQ or a Wiki of some sorts. But little things like this on http://en.wikipedia.org/

e36chick
11-02-2005, 12:04 PM
yeah the memo is enabled. but it doesnt chime every hour. AND the manual pictures are not of the computer in my car, im trying to reset the clock and can only change the minutes, the hour wont change. :huh?: