PDA

View Full Version : Glovebox removal (cough justin)

propr'one
11-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Ok i got 5 of the six screws out(to increase sensitivity of my alarm) but the screw lower but still covered by the panel (aka not the screw on the very very bottom) wont come out. i can't find a screw there. any suggestions? if this sounds crazy tell me i'll take some pics, im not very articulate.

thanks

MV325IS
11-01-2005, 01:04 PM
justin....im stuck at the same dam spot...wtf ???

propr'one
11-01-2005, 03:12 PM
heh but i couldn't fix that so i tried to fix the sunroof. now both are broken
YAY

MV325IS
11-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Perhaps you might wana try a little less harder next time...ya cant win for losssing eh !!

( It's always the same with me too )

///MsAniTy
11-01-2005, 04:34 PM
You guys are like bitches wanting help. I'm sure alot more people then just Justin have done this before.

MV325IS
11-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Ya but we worship his knowlege !!!

Ok...someone else jump in...where the frig is that last screw ?

Justin e36
11-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Hey if anyone else is able to answer the question, by all means jump in. I'm sure these questions are open to anyone...

If you have an older style glovebox. (no airbag.)

There are 6 screws that need to be removed. 4 of them are behind little black plastic tabs on each corner of the glovebox. (only accessible when you open the glovebox door.) The other two screws are behind the heater vents. Slide the heater vents so they are pointing as vertical as possible, then slip a flatheat driver underneath where it meets the glovebox trim and pry gently. It will slip out without damaging anything.

These are screws A, B, C, D, F, G in the diagram below.

---- --- -- - - -

If you have a newer style glovebox (with airbag).

You will still have the four screws behind the black tabs on every corner when you open the glovebox door. The two screws behind the vents can be accessed in the top edges on each vent. There is another hidden screw (nut) behind the glovebox light. And yet two more at the bottom of the glovebox with the door closed connecting to the kickpanel. Note that you will need a flat-head screwdriver to remove the light cover inside the glovebox. It prys right off, be gentle there is a little indentation for the flat-head screwdriver to fit. Disconnect the wires for the light assembly. You will see (feel?) a nut inside. (8mm or 10mm, can't remember?). This is used to hold the airbag assembly in place. When removing the glovebox the flashlight connector on the left might be a bit sticky. You can pry its corners gently with a flathead to disconnect the retaining clips.

All screws from A - I must be removed:

---- --- -- - - -

Important: Keep track of which screw goes where! In the non-airbag glovebox, Screws A and B are squared off. Screws C, D, F, G, all have a slight bevel under the screw head. This is required for the plastic cover to snap on top.

In the newer style glovebox, Screws A, B, F, G, all have a rounded head with a small washer. And screws H, I *also* have a rounded head, but they have a bigger washer. There are no plastic covers for any of these. Screws C, D have a bevelled head for the plastic covers to snap on top.

djcontra
11-01-2005, 05:14 PM
what do you need to remove it for? heatercore? microfilter?
I think I'm going to get a new heater core for winter, i suspect mine is causing some fogging...

Justin e36
11-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Why do you suspect fogging from your heatercore?

propr'one
11-01-2005, 06:00 PM
You guys are like bitches wanting help. I'm sure alot more people then just Justin have done this before.

we are like bitches wanting help eh.

well, i dont know if im a bitch, but i obviously do want help, dipshit. that's why i asked a question. see how that works? and notice how no where did i say ONLY justin can answer the question, but since you've answered 0 of my questions beforehand, and he's answered at least 50, it seems like a good idea to specifically ask his help. So settle down, and if you dont feel like helping me, just keep your mouth shut.

MV325IS
11-01-2005, 06:41 PM
^^^ WELL PUT ^^^

And this is why we ask Justin for help...cause he always comes up with the corect procedure...he doesn't just, guess he knows...and tha above is an exapmple of why we ask him...when you want the best...you go to the best !!

Thanks again Justin...you rock !!

Im new to this board...and it's people like Justin that keep me here praising this board...

djcontra
11-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Why do you suspect fogging from your heatercore?

From past experiences with other cars I've owned. Over time the heatercores would usually corrode and then get pinhole leaks which in turn spray small ammounts of antifreeze into the air and fogs up the windows with an oily film. Since it's gotten cold out, I've had to clean my interior glass a few times now because they would constantly fog up. As well if you rub the glass with a clean cloth, it smears so I believe I'm starting to see the tell-tale signs of what's to come :)

edit - oh ya, you can smell it too, that sweet antifreeze smell when things start to get really bad

beamerboycsl
11-02-2005, 12:25 PM
what do u mean increase the sensitivity of ur alarm?? u can do that? if so what does it increase?

Waterwings
11-02-2005, 02:07 PM
what do u mean increase the sensitivity of ur alarm?? u can do that? if so what does it increase?
how sensitive it is to things setting it off

Justin e36
11-04-2005, 08:48 AM
propone & MV325IS - Hey, no problem. I'm here to help. Did you two end up getting everything done successfully?

MV325IS
11-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Justin,
I'll continue from where i left off (6th screw delema) tommorow

MV325IS
11-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Justin, everything came apart exactly as you said... i moved the dip switch setting on the alarm to every possiple senario...nothing make s any differance...so i pit it back to factory defaults...is there a motion sensor somewhere on a 98 328i that maybe non functional ?
Thanks for your help

BennyL
11-06-2005, 05:55 PM
2 things.

first of all, justin rocks. he is like some sort of e36 genius. i'm also rather new to these boards, and he's awesome!

second of all, why are you guys removing the glove box? what is the purpose?

Justin e36
11-06-2005, 08:29 PM
MV325IS - The motion sensor is built inside the alarm module itself. It also has a tiny microphone it uses as a glass-break sensor. On the end of the alarm is the antenna it uses. If it's not detecting motion then something is wrong with the alarm module.

BennyL - Thanks for the kind words. I'm here to help out. There are a few reasons to remove the glove box. Behind there are a few computers (alarm, ABS Brake + ASC+T Traction Control computer), and also access to the cabin filter. Our cars have a cabin filter to ensure air coming out during A/C and heater operation is microfiltered from any pollens or bacteria. The filter can get clogged up, and should be replaced every 20,000mi (or whenever you notice you're not getting very good air pressure), so the glovebox has to be removed to replace this filter. Also, there are some modules & relays back there that can occasionally blow.

MV325IS
11-06-2005, 08:34 PM
I think ill see what the stealership wants for a replacement alarm module...that should fix it ip

Thanks Justin :)

Justin e36
11-06-2005, 09:02 PM
or just get an aftermarket one. :) ... with many of them you can use your existing door/trunk/hood sensors. maybe get one with a pager, or wire up a remote starter too.

BennyL
11-07-2005, 12:09 PM
hahaha, stealership. thats the word i've been looking for all along!

i see. thanks for the info, once again, justin. i figured they were modding their interior or something. lol... im such a n00b.

MV325IS
11-07-2005, 05:43 PM
What a rip...stealership wants 475 = taxes...NOT !!

Justin e36
11-07-2005, 06:44 PM
... aftermarket it is. :)