PDA

View Full Version : Help with Stock 328IS alarm

BimmerNewbie
10-31-2005, 01:13 PM
I'm having issues with my stock alarm for my 98 328IS. When I lock the doors (using keyless), everything locks except for the trunk. I played around with it on the weekend and if I manually lock and unlock the trunk, the system responds and locks all the other doors so that tells me that there is still a connection to the system, but if I try to lock with the remote the trunk actuator does not move. I have done some poking around with my DMM so I know its getting a 12V pulse when I lock the doors, but nothing happens the actuator does not move. So I thought that before I go out to buy a new actuator for the trunk, I would send a note off to you guys to see if there's a setting for the alarm that is preventing the trunk from locking? If so how do I change the programming on the alarm?

In addition, what are all the functions of the stock alarm (where can I find out)? I noticed in other posts someone was mentioning impact detection, chirping on the lock and unlock, etc. Is there a parking lights flash or anything like that that tells me that the alarm is armed? Right now if I walk away from the car and lock the doors, the only way I know that I locked the car is by hearing the actuators lock the doors that's is. Is that normal or should there be a chirp?

///MP
10-31-2005, 02:07 PM
Is there a parking lights flash or anything like that that tells me that the alarm is armed? Right now if I walk away from the car and lock the doors, the only way I know that I locked the car is by hearing the actuators lock the doors that's is. Is that normal or should there be a chirp?

There are no parking light flashers (I'm sure someone has done a mod for this, but it's not standard). To activate the chirp: hold down both buttons on the remote for about 3 seconds until you hear 4 chirps.

MP

Justin e36
10-31-2005, 02:15 PM
I'm having issues with my stock alarm for my 98 328IS. When I lock the doors (using keyless), everything locks except for the trunk. I played around with it on the weekend and if I manually lock and unlock the trunk, the system responds and locks all the other doors so that tells me that there is still a connection to the system, but if I try to lock with the remote the trunk actuator does not move. I have done some poking around with my DMM so I know its getting a 12V pulse when I lock the doors, but nothing happens the actuator does not move. So I thought that before I go out to buy a new actuator for the trunk, I would send a note off to you guys to see if there's a setting for the alarm that is preventing the trunk from locking? If so how do I change the programming on the alarm?

In addition, what are all the functions of the stock alarm (where can I find out)? I noticed in other posts someone was mentioning impact detection, chirping on the lock and unlock, etc. Is there a parking lights flash or anything like that that tells me that the alarm is armed? Right now if I walk away from the car and lock the doors, the only way I know that I locked the car is by hearing the actuators lock the doors that's is. Is that normal or should there be a chirp?

Maybe your trunk is in valet mode?

There are 3 settings to your trunk lock:

10 o'clock = unlock
2 o'clock = lock
3 o'clock = limited access

if you have it on limited access it will not respond to the alarm signal.
also, I think the trunk will only lock if a regular 'lock' pulse is received. if a double-lock pulse is used, it will not respond. you might want to check if your doors double lock or not with the alarm.

BimmerNewbie
10-31-2005, 03:15 PM
Ok right now the lock cylinder is in the 12 o'clock position and the thing that is driving me nuts is i can't even move the lock with what is supposed to be my master key (the one with the little light on it). The key works with all the other doors and the glove box but not on the truck.

In terms of the double lock pulse. What do you mean? How would I check?

Justin e36
10-31-2005, 04:00 PM
The key you have is your ignition key, not a master key. You need to get a separate key that will work for the door locks + trunk. It's a PITA, and I've had the same problem with mine. After you turn the lock it resets it self back to the 12 O'clock position. Sounds like the previous owner put the valet lock on.. (3 o'clock) and now its stuck there without the key to change it back.