PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy and install a supercharger in Toronto/GTA?!!!

rendered
10-31-2005, 09:54 AM
I dieing here, lol.

Does anyone know of a reliable, high end BMW parts and mechanic shop that can obtain an AA, or similar supercharger kit for my 2004 ZHP E46 coupe and succesfully install it with warranty?

Even Tecknique auto works in the states doesn't want to help me out!

Also, who knows of high end car audio shop that can do an amazing custom install in my trunk (not looking to do fiberglass but more luxurious materials) and install an Alpine GPS system along with my IVA-d310?

thanks in advance!

-Mark

M3Ab
10-31-2005, 10:12 AM
I'd say the best shop to get something like that done is a place called
Engineered Automotive, in Concord in the 407/Keele Street area. They are a bit pricey but they do amazing work. You can check out their website at
engineeredautomotive.com or give them a buzz at 905-660-1884.
Good luck.

Mystikal
10-31-2005, 11:48 AM
1. Sell car.
2. Purchase E46 M3.

You'll thank me later.

For the audio/video/security, KHF does a lot of the best show cars out there, and you should see the machinery constantly parked outside and in the bays. Great guys, talk to Alan.

STALKER
10-31-2005, 02:16 PM
I would suggest Mantis Racing, Cross Avenue or EA. EA will be more $$$ than all fo them. All listed places will do good work.

SickFinga
10-31-2005, 08:16 PM
Definitly stay away from Cross Avenue Auto.

I agree with Mystikal, on e46 m3.
If you cant go that route, drive your car to states. Thats all I can recommened from my supercharger experience.

e24_635csi
10-31-2005, 08:40 PM
it must be nice being rich

Bliss
10-31-2005, 09:03 PM
Definitly stay away from Cross Avenue Auto.

I agree with Mystikal, on e46 m3.
If you cant go that route, drive your car to states. Thats all I can recommened from my supercharger experience.

E46 M3? nah...supercharger kit is only about $5k usd(give or take) plus he has a zhp so it's a brand new E46. I'm going to be looking into the same thing next year.

Which sc kits are you looking into?

///MsAniTy
10-31-2005, 09:11 PM
you might want to Pm sicktoy on here he did his supercharger on a E46 and had somebody in the GTA install it on his E46 M3

rodo
10-31-2005, 10:37 PM
why stay away from cross avenue?

SickFinga
11-01-2005, 12:55 AM
E46 M3? nah...supercharger kit is only about $5k usd(give or take) plus he has a zhp so it's a brand new E46. I'm going to be looking into the same thing next year.

Which sc kits are you looking into?

ZHP + 5k usd is pretty much the price of a e46 m3.

For him, its better to go with E46 m3. More reliable, better resale value.

For you, its better to go with SC, since your car has a long list of mods already.

but yeah, its up to him.

Rodo, there is a long list how cross avenue ****ed up, but I'll tell you just one thing from the list:
They removed the bulb from my check engine light, so it looked like installation was done properly.
and trust me, thats far from the end of their screw ups.

AMG_POWER
11-01-2005, 01:18 AM
AA stage 2!

STALKER
11-01-2005, 01:27 AM
ZHP + 5k usd is pretty much the price of a e46 m3.

For him, its better to go with E46 m3. More reliable, better resale value.

For you, its better to go with SC, since your car has a long list of mods already.

but yeah, its up to him.

Rodo, there is a long list how cross avenue ****ed up, but I'll tell you just one thing from the list:
They removed my check engine light, so it looked like installation was done properly.
I have been to Cross and never had a problem.
Does the ZHP the one with the diff cams and a little more power?? If so, you choice of SCs is limited as most companies do not make a kit for your car if thats that case. I think you might only be able to get ESS, I think.

punnzzells
11-01-2005, 02:00 AM
you have a PM

Bliss
11-01-2005, 02:44 AM
They removed my check engine light, so it looked like installation was done properly.

Very sad indeed. :eek:

Bliss
11-01-2005, 02:55 AM
Does the ZHP the one with the diff cams and a little more power?? If so, you choice of SCs is limited as most companies do not make a kit for your car if thats that case. I think you might only be able to get ESS, I think.

Wasn't aware that the zhp carried more power. :confused:

SickFinga
11-01-2005, 05:40 AM

still not enough?

how about putting power streering fluid in my power streering instead of ATF, that made my steering rack to leak like a mofo, and telling me I need a new one?

I got much more ;)

STALKER
11-01-2005, 10:53 AM
I have had a good amount of work there, and still never had a problem with them, so I have no problem going back there.

Betray
11-01-2005, 12:22 PM
I have had a good amount of work there, and still never had a problem with them, so I have no problem going back there.

maybe cause they hiding the problems lol

after seeing the work that they did at cross, i will never set foot in that town let alone that store.

STALKER
11-01-2005, 01:46 PM
You could not hide the work that they did or the car would not run well at all. They actually fixed the car from not running well.
Each to their own, I have had good experience there, so I will go back, if you didnt, then don't go back. its that simple.

Cabrio
11-01-2005, 02:12 PM
The question is, what is the total cost of a ZHP + SC + Labour vs an M3?

Mind you even if your SC non-M e46 is as fast as, or faster than an M3 , it does not handle like an M3. Also consider the non-M chassis is not designed to handle that kind of stress, plus you have to upgrade the braking system, ...

Do the math first, then decide.

rodo
11-01-2005, 03:27 PM
oh wow, never heard any horror stories about Cross...

Bliss-the ZHP has 235hp compared to 225, its got cams, exhaust etc etc.

If I were you, I wouldn't even think about it, I would DEFINATELY get an e46 M3. You get: -more prestige
-more reliability
-no warranty problems
-no hidden/unexpected costs (ie: S/C installation)
-think of the time you'll loose having that thing installed and double it because something is always bound to happen unexpectedly

If it were me, the choice is crystal clear...

d12
11-01-2005, 03:46 PM
m3 is nice, but sc on 330 will put him over 400hp mark with stage 2... i would SC it

plus if he sells it he will loose alot of money eitherway

just325iS
11-01-2005, 03:59 PM
why not just get an m3 and supercharge that?

Cabrio
11-01-2005, 04:27 PM
m3 is nice, but sc on 330 will put him over 400hp mark with stage 2... i would SC it

plus if he sells it he will loose alot of money eitherway

400hp? Which SC (ESS, AA, ASA...) and how many PSI boost?

Rendered> You have a manual transmission, right? If you have steptronic you cannot do more than 5.5psi boost. Manual transmission you can do 8.5psi.

Bliss
11-01-2005, 06:23 PM
The question is, what is the total cost of a ZHP + SC + Labour vs an M3?

Mind you even if your SC non-M e46 is as fast as, or faster than an M3 , it does not handle like an M3. Also consider the non-M chassis is not designed to handle that kind of stress, plus you have to upgrade the braking system, ...

Do the math first, then decide.

Ill have to disagree with the handling bit. You can make an E46 handle just as good, and even better than any M3, after you put in the $$ of course. The brake upgrade would be a good idea. *th-up* I wouldn't want to be sitting at the lights with a wound up sc E46 with shitty brakes flying behind me. lol

Cabrio
11-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Ill have to disagree with the handling bit. You can make an E46 handle just as good, and even better than any M3, after you put in the $$ of course.

I was comparing them stock. With money, anything is possible, I agree.

That basically brings it back to my original point: do your math first and see if the cost will exceed getting an M3.

Mystikal
11-02-2005, 05:45 PM
M3 cost = S/C turn-key 330Ci.

M3 benefits: Relibility, handling, braking, much stronger driveline, etc.

And yes, you can make a regular E46 handle as well or better than an M3. But then again, with that same money a modified M3 would handle better anyways.

It's really a no-brainer to me, the M3 with mods is WAY more practical, and would be faster around a track (if not in a straight line...which itself is still doubtful).

just325iS
11-02-2005, 06:43 PM
When both are modified to the limit, I think the m3 won't handle as well because it is heavier by 300 pounds or so. That's a lot of pork but really reliability is the key here. A supercharge car will never be as reliable as a NA car. This is the reason why I'm buying an extra supercharger for next year, keep blowing the seals on my. Unless of course you go with a screw type supercharger, which is more reliable but still not as reliable as NA.

But I must admite, the sound under full boost is crazy and that, NA can't offer. My friend says my car scream like a fighter jet taking off when I'm under full boost.

Mystikal
11-02-2005, 06:55 PM
I'll counter what you said about M3 weight. Most of the M3's weight difference is primarily in the driveline, engine, and brakes. All of these are worth their weight, and a 330 that can perform similarly/consistently will have to weigh the same. The stock M54 gearbox is not as strong as the 6-speed in the M3, hence the weight. The 330 doesn't even have an LSD (it would be hilarious trying to put down 350+hp with 1 wheel, BTW), has smaller, weaker, and hence lighter brakes/calipers/hubs, more trim bodywork (you'll never fit the same amount of rubber on each car, the M3 will always have more grip), etc.

The weight is there for a reason, and once you start raising the 330 to M3 levels of performance and durability you will reach the same scale level.

just325iS
11-03-2005, 05:29 AM
It really depends on what you want to do. Really I could stripe down a 330 and leave the power stock, get an LSD, Big Brake kit, trick out the suspension and R compounds and destroy M3s at the track. Really, we could argue all day. All I'm saying is that weight is a bad thing and if you start off 300 pounds lighter, you have a good advantage in terms of performance.

I've added a blower to my car but I kept the weight the same because I took out the AC. Now I have M3 level of performance with the same weight. All aluminum bushings which are much lighter than the stock rubber ones. Aluminum headers instead of the stock cast iron ones. See, you can add performance and keep your weight down.

SpudBoy
11-03-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm not bashing the modders out there because I'm browsing for some myself.

A few years ago I had a sweet e36 328i and I spec'd out the following mods

low boost s/c with intercooler
chip
LS Diff
rims and rubber
adjustable suspension
anti-sway bars
big brake front kit with lines (stop-tech)
exhaust

cost $26,700 CND

or

sell 328i and buy my almost new (3700 km) M coupe

cost 17,400 CND plus trade-in

the M coupe is faster from 0 - 60 mph than almost any car out there (no flame please) and was a much cheaper choice for me. I still have about $9000 CND to play with. Unless you want a truely individual car I recommend starting with an ///M car if at all possible. Save your loonies after.

just my experience and opinion,
Graham

Mystikal
11-03-2005, 10:16 PM
It really depends on what you want to do. Really I could stripe down a 330 and leave the power stock, get an LSD, Big Brake kit, trick out the suspension and R compounds and destroy M3s at the track.

An M3 with just R-compounds, the same (free) stripping and no other mods would still be faster.

All I'm saying is that weight is a bad thing and if you start off 300 pounds lighter, you have a good advantage in terms of performance.

All I'm saying is the 300lbs is all in functional hardware. You just mentioned adding an LSD, bigger brakes, and beefier suspension parts onto a 330, those add a lot of the missing weight right back on.

I've added a blower to my car but I kept the weight the same because I took out the AC. Now I have M3 level of performance with the same weight.

One could remove the A/C from an M3 and be faster, with better reliability to boot.

just325iS
11-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Like I say, it's a never ending arguement because you can make any car fast, it's just a matter of how much you are willing to spend.

Lets be realistic here, you are going to remove the ac from a e46 m3 just to be a bit faster. Yeah right.

I already know that the M3 is better and it's faster and it's more reliable. I've even mentioned that in my posts. You are missing the point here. I'm SAYING A 300 POUNDS WEIGHT DIFFERENCE IS A LOT when you are at the track. The car doesn't feel as nice under braking, during turn in and through the corners. It's also harder on the tires and brakes and well.

Take for example, the Porsche 911 Turbo is faster then a Porsche 911 GT3 but at the race track, the GT3 will feel a lot better because it's lighter. Because its lighter, its more nimble, more precise, you can brake later, better turn in. Sorry, I don't know what your track experience are but if you race a lot, you'll know that its better to have a lighter car with less power then to have a heavier car with more power.

Of course you want a lighter car with more power and that's what I'm doing with my car. '92 325 iS is the lightest of the inline sixes with non-vanos head for better reliability and about 370 horses for now.

rodo
11-04-2005, 07:34 AM
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=307212&page=1&pp=20

there you go, although i don't condone that you get a S/C i STRONGLY suggest you get an m3 instead... thats just my opinion though...

omar
11-04-2005, 08:13 AM
i can get u a turbo from germany...adds 103hp...high german quality..

mousecrab
11-04-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm not bashing the modders out there because I'm browsing for some myself.

A few years ago I had a sweet e36 328i and I spec'd out the following mods

low boost s/c with intercooler
chip
LS Diff
rims and rubber
adjustable suspension
anti-sway bars
big brake front kit with lines (stop-tech)
exhaust

cost $26,700 CND

or

sell 328i and buy my almost new (3700 km) M coupe

cost 17,400 CND plus trade-in

the M coupe is faster from 0 - 60 mph than almost any car out there (no flame please) and was a much cheaper choice for me. I still have about $9000 CND to play with. Unless you want a truely individual car I recommend starting with an ///M car if at all possible. Save your loonies after.

just my experience and opinion,
Graham
may be he should wait for the new M coupe

SpudBoy
11-05-2005, 08:30 PM
naa... people that actually buy M coupes are a strange lot of folks.

They don't want BMW drive-by-wire throttle, steering, clutch, radio, CD, AC, Nav and Heater. Bangle/BMW are moving towards the ultimate parking machine IMHO.

Neither do the guys that mod their E36's and E46's. They are looking for driving dynamics at all costs. *smoke*

SickFinga
11-05-2005, 10:23 PM
'92 325 iS is the lightest of the inline sixes with non-vanos head for better reliability and about 370 horses for now.
of all i6??

m52b28 out of z3 is lighter, m30 is lighter also.

just325iS
11-07-2005, 04:28 AM
talking about the weight of all the e36 with inline 6. My car is slightly ligher then the later years because of no airbags, no cup holders, thinner seat cushion etc...

rendered
11-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Thanks guys for your information! it was quite informative!

The car I own currently, I got for a killer price. They wanted $64,500 plus tax. and I picked it up brand new for much much much less.

I thought about changing to a brand new M3 Cabrio 6spd this year. Looked around. and found nothing very reasonable. Wouldn't waste time with used m3's. nothing but problems and I love my LED facelift look on my 330 ZHP.

You can't get that on any other bmw these days. Those headlights, and led sidemarkers, and LED tail lights from the factory! only the 2004/2005 m3's have those tail lights, but still the old sidemarkers and headlamps. The E90's don't even have LED's!

Everyone wanted $79,000+ for a nice new M3. They would take my car as a trade in, + 20,000 cash downpayemt. and I'd still end up with a finance payment of $800 a month. not bad. but when I drove the m3, wow, was I ever turned off from putting that much money down for it. Totally not worth 20,000 extra out of my wallet for that suposidly extra 98HP which didn't feel like 98HP. I'd get much better results from a well tuned Supercharger.

And besides. everyone and everyone's grandmother drives an M3 these days. It's not as unique to me as a ZHP m performance package 330ci putting down 400+ WHP.

So I went looking at porsche.

Drove everything under the sun. came to the conclusion, the only porsche I'd ever buy would be a brand new 911 Turbo, GT3, or maybe C4S which was out of my price range. The basic 911 didn't cut it.

Tried preowned Lotus's. not bad, but had a good friend who owns one steer me away.

Tried a 2001 Dodge Viper GTS ACR (which was very affordable) but after the drive, you would never catch me in a dodge again.

Drove an NSX which was nice. but wasn't too fond of styling.

and a highly modded s2000. no where near the power and feel of my stock ZHP 330Ci.

Didn't want to waste time with other Jap's. I.e 350z, or G35. I knew I wasn't going to be pleased as I drove a couple for the business that I'm in.

So I came to the conclusion that I love my car. especially for the price I got it for, and the insurance costs.

Why not gain a little more power from a supercharger. I'll buy the best kit out there, being the most reliable that puts out the best power... still not sure which is that.

My car is a 6spd, and handled just as well as the m3 I drove.

Then I remember how the normal 330ci's didn't come close to the feeling of mine or the m3.

I don't know what it is. maybe because I've grown so acustomed to my ZHP. who knows?

The best LSD diff, and clutch package is so inexpensive, why not?! and a Stoptech BBK is very affordable. Even Brembo is still not insane for a big brake kit.

I'll even try upgraded rotors, SS braided lines, and Hawk pads first to see how well that goes.

I'm going to try all these shops you guys have mentioned. Go talk to all of them and see how reasonable and knowledgable they are.

thanks!

Gianpaolo_E46
11-27-2005, 05:46 PM
when u mention insurance cost, how much are u paying. right now i want to get a zhp, from a 330i, what kinda bump am i looking at?

SpudBoy
11-27-2005, 06:37 PM
I'm going to try all these shops you guys have mentioned. Go talk to all of them and see how reasonable and knowledgable they are.

thanks!

Check it out then do the deed man*th-up*

rendered
11-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Insurance is all dependant on your record, area you live in, and relationship with your insurance broker. ofcourse vehicle.

I live pretty far north of the GTA, and my family has been with state farm for a very long time, and has given them a lot of business. My broker is a personal family friend and I take his advice with great importance.

My premium went down substantially coming from an Acura RSX.

I was looking into audi S4's. I would be paying a couple more dollars a month for a 2001.

And $200 more per month than what I'm paying now for a new M3.

Like i said, it's all dependant on your situation I guess.

look for an umbrella policy maybe? where your whole household is covered separatly, but under the same policy if that makes sense. Try Geico. I hear they are pretty good also.

HIM
11-27-2005, 11:09 PM
Maybe look into an asa supercharger?? And are you sure you can make 400+ hp from supercharging it?? ASA stage 2 makes about 365hp. Rennsport's zhp with ASA SKII supercharger makes 360bhp at full boost and many from e46fanatics say they have a couple of the fastest supercharged 330's (Samir's black 330i and Sam's ZHP). AA claims 335-340hp with their supercharger. If you want a 4 door m3 then supercharging is the way to go, but otherwise you might as well get a m3 imo

HIM
11-28-2005, 01:31 AM
Just thought I would add, rennsport/technik is working on stage 4 http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=301633 . Reliably, I can see a nice 450WHP-500WHP, either via supercharger or turbocharger. :grin:

sicktoy
11-28-2005, 01:47 AM
give me a call, maybe I can help you out.