coolhand
10-31-2005, 10:28 AM
Singing isnt that bad.

saix
10-31-2005, 12:06 PM
its fake...

propr'one
10-31-2005, 02:27 PM
There's water in that glass, or at least it was wet. That makes it even more likely that its fake since wet objects are less likely to vibrate at the frequency at which they are unstable.

Justin e36
10-31-2005, 03:22 PM
I know a chick from college that could do that. It has to be crystal (not glass), and she can only do it if she is using a mic and her voice is amplified.

The girl in the video had the glass upside down though.. wonder if this helps somehow. It didn't take her long to hit that note before it shattered.

BigD
10-31-2005, 04:19 PM
There's water in that glass, or at least it was wet. That makes it even more likely that its fake since wet objects are less likely to vibrate at the frequency at which they are unstable.

Why would water in the glass affect its harmonic frequency? I can see it dampening the vibration, ie it requires a much higher amplitude to get the glass to vibrate as hard as without the water but the harmonic frequency of the material shouldn't change... I would guess that it seems like the harmonic changes with more water added because the water has it's own harmonic and that's what you're hearing (and it's lower than the glass, so it would seem as though the harmonic frequency of the glass is decreasing).

I've seen an ordinary beaker get destroyed with a simple sound setup but the frequency was very high. Also I think crystal is more consistent with it's harmonics so it would be easier to break (since once you hit the frequency, you don't need as large of an amplitude for it to sustain the sympathetic and finally crack).

AMG_POWER
10-31-2005, 06:52 PM
myth busters did it too.... not a big deal.