PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storage?

paul_animo
10-31-2005, 12:45 AM
Is it better to store the car all through out the winter season or to just start it every now and then?

I heard a lot of stories from people who store their cars for a few months... not so good, engine light goes on, rust on the engine and some other parts of the car coz its not being used, etc..

But then if you store it and start it every now and then, moisture is formed and f*cks up your engine..

I just dont know what to believe anymore..

What do you guys think?

rodo
10-31-2005, 12:46 AM
i think you should just drive it, its just a car

Mclarenbenz
10-31-2005, 02:30 AM
i think you should just drive it, its just a car
Thanks for your 10 cents there chochy.

Anyway, I posted this Q in a different forum and some dude there was pretty keen on telling me that if I get a chance on a nice day to take it for a drive, and make sure to run the AC, thats the best you can do for your car. But seriously, what the point of parking it then. There is no way in hell my car's going to see a Winterpeg winter, especially with all that salt out there.

Just off the top of my head, common sense tells me that starting it every once in a while would be the smartest thing to do.

I was also told to use a battery tender (tricle charger) to keep the electrical system healthy.

Anyone else got anythning to add?

Bliss
10-31-2005, 02:50 AM
I start up the car every now and then, and take it for a spin around the block a couple of times, ONLY if there is no snow, and the streets are really dry. That's been working for me.

propr'one
10-31-2005, 03:45 AM
just have it undercoated and drive in winter

paul_animo
10-31-2005, 05:00 AM
well i have a spare car to use that's why its a no brainer for me.. i just want to find out if starting it is better than just storing. i've used my car in the winter time and its always a zoo out there. i've been lucky so far with no accidents and you guys know how it is, as soon as your car gets into one its over! its not the same anymore.

yeah, you're right rodo! Its just a car.. what would you do if daddy stops paying for it?

BMVV
10-31-2005, 09:32 AM
If you start the car every once it a while, you must run the car to full operating temp to dry out the parts that need it. If you simply start it, rev it a few times, moisture will stay in the exhaust, etc, causing rot.

grossi
10-31-2005, 11:11 AM
I start up the car every now and then, and take it for a spin around the block a couple of times, ONLY if there is no snow, and the streets are really dry. That's been working for me.

I've been doing the exact same for the last 3 years. So far, no problems.

thinair
10-31-2005, 11:47 PM

Well, adding to this, don't start your car in the winter. What is the point? The engine has been sitting there for a while, the head is practically dry, why increase wear? Plus cold starts are super hard on the car. I don't start my car once all winter.

My advice, crank your tires to 50psi or whatever the max your tires will safely allow (don't store it on axle stands), disconnect or remove your battery, cover it the car, and don't touch it until the spring.

Also, don't you guys cut your collision insurance in the winter months? I'm not into risking a collision.

dtthiaga
11-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Take a look at this.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21710

To add to this.

My BMW has done worse than the Acura in storing. I've never had issues with starting the Acura up and running it afterwards. The basis for that procedures list I posted was from Acura for how to store your Acura NSX over the winter. I also combined it with some procedures people use for storing antique cars. I thought that was a good starting point.

The BMW, for some reason, would stall and sometimes not start.

Also, I've had the following issues with the car as of recent:
- Leaking Steering Rack (Completely replaced)
- Left and Right Control Arms went (common problem with an e46, same issue with the e30)
- Clutch Release Bearing Went (had an new clutch, and clutch kit installed)
- 02 Censors went.

The stupid thing is, the car is 95% highway (Boston, New York, Philly, 407) and only has 40K on it. When I do drive it, it's mostly on the highway. Also, the car is not driven in the winter. I'm sort of disappointed with the car. I don't know how much of that is related to me storing the car. Also, the car does sit sometimes for 1-2 weeks at a time while I travel; perhaps that contributes to it.

I have to give credit though; apart from the clutch issue, with the broken/defective parts, the car still drove fine. It never left me stranded, but has spent quite a bit of time in the shop. I'm not storing the car this winter; I'll finally get to use my snows.

Hope it helps.

Bliss
11-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Well, adding to this, don't start your car in the winter. What is the point? The engine has been sitting there for a while, the head is practically dry, why increase wear? Plus cold starts are super hard on the car. I don't start my car once all winter.

My advice, crank your tires to 50psi or whatever the max your tires will safely allow (don't store it on axle stands), disconnect or remove your battery, cover it the car, and don't touch it until the spring.

Also, don't you guys cut your collision insurance in the winter months? I'm not into risking a collision.

My full insurance stays on all year so it's ok.

I don't know...it makes sense what you're saying thinair, but i have been doing this since i bought the car about 4 years ago, and worked great for me. It gives me the opportunity to make everything move on the car from suspension, to turning on the a/c pump, etc.

paul_animo
11-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Take a look at this.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21710

To add to this.

My BMW has done worse than the Acura in storing. I've never had issues with starting the Acura up and running it afterwards. The basis for that procedures list I posted was from Acura for how to store your Acura NSX over the winter. I also combined it with some procedures people use for storing antique cars. I thought that was a good starting point.

The BMW, for some reason, would stall and sometimes not start.

Also, I've had the following issues with the car as of recent:
- Leaking Steering Rack (Completely replaced)
- Left and Right Control Arms went (common problem with an e46, same issue with the e30)
- Clutch Release Bearing Went (had an new clutch, and clutch kit installed)
- 02 Censors went.

The stupid thing is, the car is 95% highway (Boston, New York, Philly, 407) and only has 40K on it. When I do drive it, it's mostly on the highway. Also, the car is not driven in the winter. I'm sort of disappointed with the car. I don't know how much of that is related to me storing the car. Also, the car does sit sometimes for 1-2 weeks at a time while I travel; perhaps that contributes to it.

I have to give credit though; apart from the clutch issue, with the broken/defective parts, the car still drove fine. It never left me stranded, but has spent quite a bit of time in the shop. I'm not storing the car this winter; I'll finally get to use my snows.

Hope it helps.

You're absolutely right! We pretty much have the same crap that got replaced, from clutch to oxygen sensors. Good thing they still covered my clutch under warranty coz they told me that its posted on their bulletin for defective parts. Btw is your car an '02? I cant exactly remember when they came out with the one piece headlights? If it is a 2002 then our bumper to bumper is done this year! ohh boy... time to sell..

Darkness95m3
11-02-2005, 09:01 AM
This is what I do when storing the car.

1) Have the car rust checked (I use Krown)
2) Buy engine flush and pout it into the crank. (Canadian Tire)
3) Add fuel stabilizer into the tank. Before filling the tank full of fuel. (Canadian Tire)
4) Fill the car up full with fuel. Drive the car home. You want the stabilizer to mix and go through your entire fuel system.
5) Place a 4x14 sheet of plywood under the car
6) Place the car on 4 jacks
7) Change the oil use the cheapest oil you can buy.
8) Remove all 4 tires and place them in a warm place.
9) Remove all spark plugs and spray engine storage solution in each cylinder. (Canadian Tire)
10) Remove the battery and place it in warm place. If you have a trickle charger use it.
11) Place a cover over the car.

Do Not start the car during the winter, this is the worst thing for your car.

dtthiaga
11-02-2005, 10:21 AM
You're absolutely right! We pretty much have the same crap that got replaced, from clutch to oxygen sensors. Good thing they still covered my clutch under warranty coz they told me that its posted on their bulletin for defective parts. Btw is your car an '02? I cant exactly remember when they came out with the one piece headlights? If it is a 2002 then our bumper to bumper is done this year! ohh boy... time to sell..
Yeah, mine's a 02 as well, and it was babied. I don't have a ding or scratch on it, and you can still smell that "new car smell" sometimes. I got a shock when they came back with the control arms are gone. I knew the front-end on these cars are weak, so I tried to be gentle but still "enjoying" the car.

It took 5 visits to the dealership to fix all that in 1.5 months! On the 4th visit, they put a new clutch kit and release bearing. I got the car back and you could feel massive engine vibration through the clutch pedal at bight point. On the 5th visit (1 week at BMW), they found major uneven wear on the clutch. This time, they pretty much replaced everything between the engine and tranny. It drives good now. I still have the issue of not being able to get into first gear sometimes.

Time to sell is right. I think I'll store the Honda this winter and use this as a winter car and sell it in the Spring. :)

I'm thinking of the new Lexus IS, or the Acura TL-6Spd Manual with Apec. I want reliability!

dtthiaga
11-02-2005, 10:24 AM
This is what I do when storing the car.

9) Remove all spark plugs and spray engine storage solution in each cylinder. (Canadian Tire)

Do Not start the car during the winter, this is the worst thing for your car.

About the engine storage solution: Do you have the brand/name?

When you start the car in the spring, I assume you get a small puff of blue smoke or something right?

I always wanted to spray something in the engine to coat the top of the cylinders to prevent rust, but was nervous. Acura didnít recommend using it unless the car was being stored longer the 6-8 months. Thatís what I read from the tech-bulletin.

paul_animo
11-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Yeah, mine's a 02 as well, and it was babied. I don't have a ding or scratch on it, and you can still smell that "new car smell" sometimes. I got a shock when they came back with the control arms are gone. I knew the front-end on these cars are weak, so I tried to be gentle but still "enjoying" the car.

It took 5 visits to the dealership to fix all that in 1.5 months! On the 4th visit, they put a new clutch kit and release bearing. I got the car back and you could feel massive engine vibration through the clutch pedal at bight point. On the 5th visit (1 week at BMW), they found major uneven wear on the clutch. This time, they pretty much replaced everything between the engine and tranny. It drives good now. I still have the issue of not being able to get into first gear sometimes.

Time to sell is right. I think I'll store the Honda this winter and use this as a winter car and sell it in the Spring. :)

I'm thinking of the new Lexus IS, or the Acura TL-6Spd Manual with Apec. I want reliability!

I had a rattling noise under my car everytime its on first gear and they thought it was the clutch, so they put a new clutch kit and release bearing. When I got my car back the noise was still there so they replaced my drive shaft to fix it. I dont have any problems with my car right now, im just worried that when my warranty is over then its money out of my pocket!

I'll bet you took your car to Town and Country to get fixed right? They have the most dumb ass mechanics ever! That's why I always take my car to Parkview.

I'll store my BMW this winter and use my civic instead. Hopefully I wont have any problems when I take it out of storage. The new IS is so hot! I'll get that instead of the TL.

fitz318is
11-02-2005, 08:42 PM
The stuff you want is fogging oil (might be listed as Engine FOG), comes in a spray can. Available at CT.
I spray some it the intake boot while the car is running (need two people because it wants to stall) then in the plug holes.

No smoke, no starting problems. But in the spring, I spray some carb cleaner down the TB to clean out anything left over. I store my car Nov1-Apr1-15.

When you start the car in the spring, I assume you get a small puff of blue smoke or something right?

I always wanted to spray something in the engine to coat the top of the cylinders to prevent rust, but was nervous. Acura didnít recommend using it unless the car was being stored longer the 6-8 months. Thatís what I read from the tech-bulletin.

dtthiaga
11-04-2005, 09:14 AM
The stuff you want is fogging oil (might be listed as Engine FOG), comes in a spray can. Available at CT.
I spray some it the intake boot while the car is running (need two people because it wants to stall) then in the plug holes.

No smoke, no starting problems. But in the spring, I spray some carb cleaner down the TB to clean out anything left over. I store my car Nov1-Apr1-15.

Thanks! I see you have an e30 (not that it is a bad thing). Have you heard anyone using this on a new motor like the e46. Iíve always been concerned about exposed internals over a extended period of time.

I've heard tons of guys putting fogging oil on older cars (classics). They sometimes spray stuff into the carb until the engine stalls, and then store the car.

What about newer cars? Thanks for the info!

I store my car usually from Nov to April as well. I put one away already.

dtthiaga
11-04-2005, 09:30 AM
When I got my car back the noise was still there so they replaced my drive shaft to fix it. I dont have any problems with my car right now, im just worried that when my warranty is over then its money out of my pocket!

I'll bet you took your car to Town and Country to get fixed right? They have the most dumb ass mechanics ever! That's why I always take my car to Parkview.

I took my car to BK-Motors actually. Their Lead tech worked on the car (5th time). After a small complaint, they really took care of me! Good service!

The issue is, more like the Synchro is gone. Same thing you get with older beater manual car where it's hard to get into certain gears. Putting the car in 2nd, 3rd, 4th (various random combos) then back into 1st usually solves the problem. Not good though!

Some interesting Information I got from the Tech.

If the car won't go into gear (say 1st), and you shut the car off, and it falls into gear right away, then it's the clutch.

If shutting the car off doesn't make it any easier, then it's the gear box.

It just hasn't happened at a spot where I could safely shut the car off.

I think Iím a good manual driver :confused: Ö. I got 210K on the original clutch from my last car. Maybe I just suck at manual. :)

spooner_dee
11-05-2005, 09:59 AM
my friend stores his every winter and does mostly everything listed by dtthiaga

he removes the wheels the battery stores it in his garage, cleans it top to bottom only i think he draines his gas tank and i think even drops it and cleans that as well. hes a nut, his car has never seen a winter i dont even think its seen the rain.

hioctane
11-05-2005, 10:24 AM
I've stored mine for three years and I never start it up during storage and I've never had an issue. I use the same techniques listed previously except I do not put the car on jack stands; I only add more air pressure and keep it off the concrete (fabric sandwiched between).

I heard that if you are going to start it up, you have to do it often and run it hot to prevent moisture....but you may as well just keep driving it through the winter at that point.

thinair
11-05-2005, 01:23 PM
he removes the wheels the battery stores it in his garage, cleans it top to bottom only i think he draines his gas tank and i think even drops it and cleans that as well. hes a nut, his car has never seen a winter i dont even think its seen the rain.

Draining your gas tank is probably one of the worst things you can do, it's a good way to build rust due to condensation.

And again, resting your car on jackstands is bad for your suspension bushings (unless you have something like metal monoball bushings everywhere, ie. racecar)

Darkness95m3
11-05-2005, 09:23 PM

Motomaster Engine storage, not the best however it does the job just fine.
When I start it up I do get a bit of black smoke not blue.

When you wish to start it in spring remove the fuel pump fuse.
Turn the engine over for 5 seconds, wait 10 seconds
repeat the above procedure 4 or 5 times.
Re-install the fuse and fire the engine up. Let it run for a mintue and take it for a drive slowly do not push it. Drive it for 2 or 3 km.
Once you get back home check for any fluid leaks.
Change the oil and this time use good quality motor oil. Use the same oil filter.

fitz318is
11-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Im not sure about newer engines. I would imagine that the concepts stay the same, but an email to Mike Miller at Bimmer mag doesnt hurt. He is the man when it comes to tech questions. He is very quick to reply too.

Thanks! I see you have an e30 (not that it is a bad thing). Have you heard anyone using this on a new motor like the e46. Iíve always been concerned about exposed internals over a extended period of time.

I've heard tons of guys putting fogging oil on older cars (classics). They sometimes spray stuff into the carb until the engine stalls, and then store the car.

What about newer cars? Thanks for the info!

I store my car usually from Nov to April as well. I put one away already.