PDA

View Full Version : OBC Coolant warning message

MV325IS
10-30-2005, 12:45 PM
So my girlfriends 328I displays a "Check coolant level " See owners manual"
on the OBC ( which needs replacing as the pixels are a mess)

I checked the levels and all is well...its a speratic message...shows up only when the car is shut off or before its even started.

Could this me a sensor gone bad?
Any suggestinos greatly apreciated

Justin e36
10-30-2005, 01:41 PM
yes, sensor is bad. the sensor could be stuck in the low position. you can remove it and verify. also make sure the sensor plug (at the top) is not corroded or has any broken wires.

* hint: if you connect the two sensor wires together to cause a closed loop it will trick the computer into thinking the coolant level is fine. you can try connecting these two wires together, then key to accessory / turning it off... see if the message still comes on. If it doesn't, you know for sure your sensor / float is not working properly.

http://i22.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/d6/4c/74_1.JPG

MV325IS
10-30-2005, 02:17 PM
I pulled the sensor wires off and shorted the connectors as you said...
i couldnt get the error message to go away...but i did manage to start the elcetric fan.

I also noticed another sensor at the very bottom of the coolant tank...im asuming this plastic tank is the overflow or recovery tank...so i grabbed 1 quart of water and topped it up...thinking it cant be this simple...and sure as shit the dam light does not come on now...go figure...is it that sensitive ? ... i only added 1 quart at the very most to top it off

Justin e36
10-30-2005, 05:16 PM
I pulled the sensor wires off and shorted the connectors as you said...
i couldnt get the error message to go away...but i did manage to start the elcetric fan.

I also noticed another sensor at the very bottom of the coolant tank...im asuming this plastic tank is the overflow or recovery tank...so i grabbed 1 quart of water and topped it up...thinking it cant be this simple...and sure as shit the dam light does not come on now...go figure...is it that sensitive ? ... i only added 1 quart at the very most to top it off

The sensors are fairly sensitive, they usually give enough padding for you to get to the nearest stop to top it back up again. As long as its off, you're good to go. Make sure you're using the proper mix for winter too.

MV325IS
10-30-2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks for sharing the knowledge....

I now have a new bimmer mentor !!!

Justin e36
10-30-2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks for sharing the knowledge....

I now have a new bimmer mentor !!!

Everyone on the forum has some good knowledge to share. We have a lot of helpful people here. But thanks for the compliment. :)

J

MV325IS
10-30-2005, 05:40 PM
Do you do any bimmer work on the side ?

Justin e36
10-30-2005, 05:50 PM
I help out others if they need it.. but it's not really something I do for side work or anything---more just to help out.