PDA

View Full Version : A hard night on my ride

craz azn
10-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Well, whoever said that October is a hard month on BMWs... well they were right. It claimed my car too....

Heres how it when down.... Me and Anthony came from Newmarket to the maX meet to see what was goin down... I was getting cold so I suggested to my buddy who was with me lets go get a coffee or somehting.... So i leave... And I wasnt speeding or anything and as I was about to turn left onto #7 I turned too early and hit the island thingy in the middle of the road... ****.... :( :(

Well..... I guess there was a couple things I should mention. Maybe it was me but i dont know, I think one of the lights was not on (the bigass streetlights) and i didnt see the curb coming. I was NOT speeding in case anyone didnt get that. Biggest problem was there was no ****ing sign mentioning to motorists that theres a 6" ****ing curb/island there... So thats the main reason I did not see it... Ellipsoid lights werent helping either as Randy suggested.... I think they suck too....

Damage: the car is a write off.... the roof got bent cause I think it smoked the frame when the curb hit... broke everything...front suspension, All the bottom of the engine... pushed the wheel into the drivers floor, lucky my foot wasnt near the foot rest.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with cleaning it up : Justin, Paul, Sean, Randy, Tomek, Terry, Anthony, and many others who came by to try and help out, I think Thinair was the first one there... anyways thanks guys

Well I am not gonna pursue anything legal regarding going after the city, owner of the property, etc... I cant afford it. Now I am just gonna keep everything on the DL until I find another car to replace it with....

Thanks guys....oh ya, Hey Tomek can you post the pics of it?

PS, anyone else every come near that ****ing curb/island? I was just curious...

fukenricen
10-29-2005, 12:17 PM
sorry to hear that man i seen it when i was leaving,but a few weeks ago some guy in a camaro went airborn and i mean tire off the ground on that curb where you hit and he drove off like nothing happen.

Mike54900
10-29-2005, 12:19 PM
thats sucks sorry to hear that *sad*

Justin e36
10-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Hey!.. Sorry I didn't stick around, I swung by the meet to make sure Sickfinga was collecting the coin.. which of course he wasn't. And we headed down to the race from there... on my way out I saw the flatbed in the parking lot so I knew you were alright. I honked a few times on my way out.

Now, here's the interesting part. After the race I went back to 7/Weston to see if anyone was there, and to make sure you made it out okay... no one was around. On my way out from La Paloma I had to swirve at the last second because of the SAME ISLAND. (I should have known better, no?)... the only reason I did see it was because of all the sawdust on the road all over your oil which lit up from my headlights.

It definately wasn't that you weren't paying attention.. because I almost did the same thing only an hour after you left. The way the road is and that the island only takes up a quarter of the leftmost lane makes it easy to hit. I wasn't speeding either but I'm sure my car would've been messed pretty bad if I smacked into it too. They really need to smooth out that curb, and put some signs up on it. Painting the curb yellow would help some as well since it's a good 6" high.

icu
10-29-2005, 12:43 PM
A sad incident like it was said there should have been island signs a b-25 and a 33r reinstalled as they were on it before , it was evident that others had stuck this before. sorry for your loss at least nobody was hurt. :(

Justin e36
10-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Hey Graham, just wondering... you think he would have any luck if he were to fight the lack of signs in court?

///M-TRD3
10-29-2005, 01:15 PM
Sorry to hear about the misfortune man.

punnzzells
10-29-2005, 01:21 PM
sorry to hear that man... looked a lot worse than what you wrote it up to be.... but, I heard that you were coming out of Crappy Tire's parking lot and not La Paloma's.... did you hit the curb head on?

i am confused....

bimmer318ti
10-29-2005, 01:25 PM
Sorry to hear that man :( ...I got two pictures of it.. I will host it after I finish work

sicilianace
10-29-2005, 01:30 PM
Rudy, i couldn't believe what happen to the car .....after admoring it early in the week at your place......... The good thing is ... you didn't get hurt...

craz azn
10-29-2005, 01:55 PM
sorry to hear that man... looked a lot worse than what you wrote it up to be.... but, I heard that you were coming out of Crappy Tire's parking lot and not La Paloma's.... did you hit the curb head on?

i am confused....

no no, i was coming from la palomas.... i was gearing up to turn left but i guess it was too early.... i nearly hit it head on.. i saw it at the last second and tryed to swerve away but..... yep.. shatty *mumble*

Bliss
10-29-2005, 03:14 PM
Damn! me, Julian, Vlad, and Dan drove up when the firetrucks, and the police were already there and we couldn't believe our eyes. You're lucky you're ok! Thats all that pretty much matters. Cars can be replaced. Good luck on everything.

Ant118
10-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Damn Rudy i feel really bad now since this happen, and BTW i know a few guys that almost hit that curb and one that hit it

RevShoT
10-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Damn Rudy i feel really bad now since this happen, and BTW i know a few guys that almost hit that curb and one that hit it

last year in my bimmer i lost a fog light at the same corner, damn mo fo's and there curbs!

fukenricen
10-29-2005, 04:18 PM
u know what its a ****ed up curb and your not the only one who hit it ,someone should notify the city.Sorry for the loss once again but if your alright then **** the car especialy after a hit that hard i couldnt believe it with my eyes and to leave with not even a scratch is lucky.

Mitch555
10-29-2005, 04:46 PM
I was wondering why there was sawdust or salt on the road when me and my buddy were heading to the race following everbody. Sorry to hear bout this man. *thmbsdwn* As long as you are alright, cuz the car can be replaced.

BMWags
10-29-2005, 05:42 PM
that sucks man, real sorry to hear about the car, i hope everything works out for you tho

paul christians
10-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Rudy sorry about this..Yes he worked his ass off for like 2 months on this car. He just got it on like this week..So I am thinking here and come up with an IDEAl, THE RUDY FUND...who is in for it. He is in high school and works at CRAPPY TIRE so money is so tight for him??

bimmer318ti
10-29-2005, 06:26 PM
Here are the two pictures I took while driving by the crash...

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/7038/13gn1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/7286/24gt.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

EMPOWERD
10-29-2005, 06:47 PM
Sorry to see what happened Rudy, here are the pics I took with my camera phone... hope they may help with insurance/dad/etc....

EMPOWERD
10-29-2005, 06:49 PM
another one

EMPOWERD
10-29-2005, 06:50 PM
curb...

EMPOWERD
10-29-2005, 06:51 PM
notice the missing sign post by the person's right foot in the pic? (not missing because of Rudy either).

Hound
10-29-2005, 06:58 PM
actaully i think that if you tried to take the city or the private company that owns that part, to cort, you proly wouldnt even go to court cause as the tow truck guy said, they have lots of money and would settle it im sure cause otherwise they would have the publicity and possibly a class action suit since so many people have hit this curb, i also think that seeing as though they did have a sign there before, but obviously someone has run over it or w/e and they are too lazy to put a new one back up, your case here is quite stron i'd say. you might want to call around to a few lawyers and see if they might be willing to take it on pro-bono and they might if they believed it was a strong case, i can ask my dad about it and see what he thinks would be a good idea cause he's a lawyer here in hamilton and would know im sure but he doesn't do litigation he just does corprate law and wills & estates but he would know if the case was strong enough to look into.

Gamite
10-29-2005, 07:10 PM
I think u have a justifyable case, no road sign, poor lighting.

Justin e36
10-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Also notice in Randy's first curb picture that it has been hit repeatedly before and has been patched back up with different color cement. In his second curb photo you can see clearly numerous scrape marks, and tire marks where countless other vehicles have hit this thing. Not to mention how many people have hit it and not damaged the cement.

graham (who posted above) installs these street signs for a living, as he said its not only missing one, but TWO signs. (b-25 and a 33r) which if I remember correctly are a "split island" sign, and a "chevron" sign.

Also I think Rudy is right, some street lamps were out.

However, as the cop said.. there is still a chance of careless driving as you're supposed to adjust your driving for the conditions. If lighting/visibility is poor, you should slow down and pay more attention, and should always be paying attention to the road.

SpudBoy
10-29-2005, 07:55 PM
Sad to hear about this but these pics do tell something. Glad you're alright.

propr'one
10-29-2005, 08:00 PM
I dont think this was the result of bad driving. I was mabye 2 inches away from that curb headed straight for it, thank god for bmw handling and traction

Miguel
10-29-2005, 08:42 PM
can someone MS Paint a map to where this curb is located???
I see the pics but I just cant place it.

Axxe
10-29-2005, 08:43 PM
Like I said last night, I've almost smoked that mofo myself. It's not marked at all, and "normal" roads don't have big ass unmarked islands like that. With that said, move on and part the sucker out.

Here are the pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Axxe_TD/Rudy%20Crash%20Oct%2028%202005/IMG_1710.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Axxe_TD/Rudy%20Crash%20Oct%2028%202005/IMG_1709.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Axxe_TD/Rudy%20Crash%20Oct%2028%202005/IMG_1707.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Axxe_TD/Rudy%20Crash%20Oct%2028%202005/IMG_1706.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Axxe_TD/Rudy%20Crash%20Oct%2028%202005/IMG_1705.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Axxe_TD/Rudy%20Crash%20Oct%2028%202005/IMG_1703.jpg

I sent you the full-res pics, there are a few more redundant photos in there but it never hurts to have extras.

Tomek.

ZiMMie
10-29-2005, 08:56 PM
yea dude sorry about the lost.
as stated above, all it maters is ur safety.

and u peeps sayin the car could be replaced, u know how hard is it to come by a clean chasis e30 now adays :D

but honestly u couldnt see/follow the lines on the road as u came out of the lot? i guess u had really bad lights on ur e30.

Jordan
10-29-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm confused.

Someone draw a picture of the intersection and the cars path. I don't see how this happened?

RevShoT
10-29-2005, 10:44 PM
the island sticks out rather far into the intersection and its decieving when you make a left turn u have to be careful or you will hit the curb that sticks out so far

BMW BMXer
10-30-2005, 01:09 AM
I know the island that claimed your ride rudy.

Shitty buzz man.

Jordan
10-30-2005, 01:27 AM
the island sticks out rather far into the intersection and its decieving when you make a left turn u have to be careful or you will hit the curb that sticks out so far

Yeah, that I understand.

I still dont understand how he crashed into it, and how fast does one need to be going to stuff a wheel?

myndgone
10-30-2005, 02:06 AM
wow, unreal...my gf almost nailed that curb few days ago, i saw the damn thing in the last second and yelled out, and she slammed on the brakes barely missing it....thing's camouflaged well, idiots, would it hurt to put up a damn sign at least????

sorry to hear about your car, man....go after them, got nothing to lose!!!! good luck!

windwagen
10-30-2005, 02:22 AM
but honestly u couldnt see/follow the lines on the road as u came out of the lot? i guess u had really bad lights on ur e30.

I wasn't there, but compounding the lack of sinage and poor lighting, I'd bet almost all of the drivers making that left turn would be looking to the right at some point in time to check for traffic coming down the road, leaving even less time to see the island.

Definitely look into making a claim with the city, or MTO if it's Hwy 7. Missing signs make a very strong case. I've made a claim with MTO for potholes. I took a few months, but I got every penny back.

Justin e36
10-30-2005, 02:47 AM
I'm confused.

Someone draw a picture of the intersection and the cars path. I don't see how this happened?

Let me try to explain this as best as I can.

When you leave the parking lot (La Paloma), you go straight down a dark street (not well lit) for around 1/8 mile before you hit a major intersection. (Highway 7). The dark lit street doesn't actually have a name, so I presume it is private property. No speed limit is posted. Government streets is assumed to be 50km/h in Ontario.

The street is 3 lanes when you exit La Paloma. The left-most lane turns into a Left Turn lane so you can pull into a Canadian Tire parking lot. The ground is not marked with painted Left Turn arrows.

Right after this small area where you can make a left turn, an Island sticks out around 3/4ths way into the left most lane. It doesn't come out the whole lane. Again, there are no markings on the ground to tell you that the street then becomes only two lanes at this point.

This island soon after fades away to open up a third lane again. This new thid lane then becomes the Left Turn lane to turn onto the major interesection Highway 7. (as seen in the background of the above pictures.)

The problem is, the ground has a slight incline before the island, and there are two signs that do not exist. One is a chevron, the second is a "merge lane" sign which is usually on the side of the road. Also, there are no markings (paint) on the ground that shows the left most lane is actually a turning lane to a parking lot, or that it then suddenly becomes two lanes.

In the dark, it is very very easy to only see the island at the last second and be forced to swirve to the right to avoid it. In which case as you can see by the scratch marks on the island, people sometimes fall short and end up clipping their drivers side on it. This is also what happened to Craz Azn, his car is lowered and his drivers side hit the island. At this point he had no steering left (steering rack was out), and he was left to spin a 180 on the street where he stopped right beside the island before it faded into that third lane again as I mentioned above.

Hope this makes sense? Too lazy to open photoshop right now.

windwagen
10-30-2005, 09:15 AM
Shiat, if it's private property, it may be tougher to claim than the city or MTO :(

lvan
10-30-2005, 09:16 AM
Dude honestly sorry to hear your loss. Some Fridays are really bad.

Gamite
10-30-2005, 09:55 AM
Okay, here's what what it looks like happened

hope you don't mind me doing this.

Gamite
10-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Shiat, if it's private property, it may be tougher to claim than the city or MTO :(

If they are private roads, there should be a sign that says: "unassumed road, use at own risk" otherwise they're government roads.

Axxe
10-30-2005, 10:24 AM
That is an assumed road. Call the city and ask for recompensation in the form of the value of the car.

Jordan
10-30-2005, 10:49 AM
OK. Makes more sense then.

Why wasn't he holding his lane though? Islands don't jump out into your lane....

Gamite
10-30-2005, 12:32 PM
provided that the lighting was poor, the first turning lane looks like the turning lane for the street. Its pretty understandable how he made the mistake. Its actually really dark there, only the street lights from the parking lots. (I think)

icu
10-30-2005, 01:39 PM
Hey Graham, just wondering... you think he would have any luck if he were to fight the lack of signs in court?
Uncertain about that I will ask one of the city investigators on Mon about this, being a private road it is their respons to maintain all markings and signs , the fact that this road goes out to a regulated road or hwy makes them the owners responsible for opproprite signage.I will get back to the fold on this matter.

Justin e36
10-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Ah, started this last night.. see Gamite beat me to it. Got it pretty much right... except he didn't hit the curb head on. Only his drivers wheel smacked into it. Again, remember this island goes up a good 7" or more. (as seen in the above pictures). It's extra tall for some reason.

There were no lights in the Canadian Tire parking lot. There are lights in the other parking lot across the street (where Starbucks is).

What is difficult to see in the sattelite capture is that the island actually sticks out into the leftmost lane. You can see the street is thinner where the island is. Clipping your drivers side is easily done. I made a mistake earlier.. I thought it was 3 lanes that merges into two. Looks like it was always just 2 lanes.

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/516/lapaloma0pr.jpg

Justin e36
10-30-2005, 02:00 PM
provided that the lighting was poor, the first turning lane looks like the turning lane for the street. Its pretty understandable how he made the mistake. Its actually really dark there, only the street lights from the parking lots. (I think)

Exactly. A few hours after him leaving the area I almost did the exact same thing. If it wasn't for all the sawdust from his oil spill that lit up from my headlights, I probably would've ended up in the same situation. It's so long and gradual it is easy to think it is a left turn lane to go onto Hwy 7.

Gamite
10-30-2005, 02:55 PM
Exactly. A few hours after him leaving the area I almost did the exact same thing. If it wasn't for all the sawdust from his oil spill that lit up from my headlights, I probably would've ended up in the same situation. It's so long and gradual it is easy to think it is a left turn lane to go onto Hwy 7.

maybe u should use your headlights and not just your fog lights ;)

Justin e36
10-30-2005, 02:59 PM
maybe u should use your headlights and not just your fog lights ;)

I had my headlights on + fog lights when that happened. BTW, your Hamann's look sick while on the road.. the lip really stands out.

Gamite
10-30-2005, 03:04 PM
oh ok, cuz everytime I see u, u only got the fogs on.

THanks, the lip is the only thing u can see :)

craz azn
10-30-2005, 08:15 PM
That is an assumed road. Call the city and ask for recompensation in the form of the value of the car.

I was toying with the idea of calling them... I suppose its the city of Vaughan to call....I am just trying to find the right person to talk to about this...

My only question is, is that road actually property of Vaughan of is it private? Just so I dont freak at the wrong person haha.. IF its actually private... then how do I get ahold of this person/ people?

Anyone know?

Graham - Lemme know what happens man, thanks *th-up*

Mr seville
10-30-2005, 09:30 PM
can someone MS Paint a map to where this curb is located???
I see the pics but I just cant place it.

it's the left as you go down to the parking lot. right at the intersection between where i spy is and chapters.

Hound
10-30-2005, 11:19 PM
im pretty sure that this is private property rudy, cause if i remember right, the tow truck guy pointed to the sign with the chapters on it and at the bottom said that is the number to call, it's some company and he said you'd proly be able to get the value at least of your car cause they are apperently a fairly big company. i would see if you could get a hold of a lawyer to contact them on your behalf not only because you wouldn't have to but a lawyer knows what to say in these types of situations and how to push their buttons lol. i understand that you proly can't do that cause they can be fairly expensive, if you dont go that way i would call that company if that is who is responsible for the road and signage, and ask to speak with someone either in the legal department or, a person high up in management or the person who is responsible for overseeing repairs to the properties and roadways. good luck man, and if you need any info or w/e let me know and i can do my best to helpout.

Hound
10-30-2005, 11:21 PM
i think whoever designed the turning lanes to go into either lot at that point was out to lunch in their head, cause there is no need for them to be as long as they are, i mean people arn't going fast at that point, or shouldn't be lol so the need to make them so that you can slow down in the turn lane and not on the road is just dumb. poor planning and building if you ask me.

craz azn
10-31-2005, 11:13 AM
can somebody check out that phone number for me in the parking lot? Since I cant just drive an hour and a half for a #, can somebody check it out if their close by and post it for me. Thanks

paul christians
10-31-2005, 02:12 PM
If I am up that way.

icu
10-31-2005, 06:59 PM
Ok I talked with an investigator he said to find out who is the owner of that road this you could find out from the city of Vaughn, also he indicated that in past exper the blame would be 50% to 50% , however you should consult a litigation laywer they would know the proper direction as to how to proceed in this matter. :)

Justin e36
10-31-2005, 07:01 PM
Thanks for inquiring Graham.
Rudy, there you go... seek a litigation lawyer. Consultation & advice is usually free... so you can find out what your legal options are, and if it is worth pursuing.

Ant118
10-31-2005, 08:16 PM
well rudy if u want im heading over to LaPoma soon, want me to find out the # on that sign

omar
11-02-2005, 10:54 AM
2 bad to hear this dude.. i know the corner your talking about...hope the hit is not that bad. and i hope your car will feel better really soon...
omar e39 m5

Hound
11-02-2005, 02:56 PM
aight i chatted with my dad about it and he also suggests seeing a lawyer about it, just to help you out with any legal mubo jumbo. also he said to draft a REGISTERED letter to the city of vaughn asking who is the owner of the road and if they are that you are making a claim, something to that effect. we were talking about wether or not we thought it was a city or privatly owned road, and our thoughts were that it is a city street because of the fact that it has that 4 way signal at the entrance to the parking lot, which is not pedestrian activated. the other thing that you are gonna proly need to do if it is a privatly owned road, is prove that you had a reason for being there at that time because actually at the point at which we were there, the stores for that lot are all closed, or mostly closed and so we are really actually truspassing beacuse we are not there to shop or to eat really. so that would be their defence more than likly and it really is a strong one, because since it's a private parking lot it is subject to limited usage, ie. shopping or going to the restaurant. just a heads up man, you "could" argue that you were there to go to kelsy's but they would im sure ask for a recept from that evening to prove that you were there and of course you dont have one. also a note to anyone else, you might want to, while your there go to la paloma or something and get a water or w/e and keep the recept just in case this were to happen to you, that way you could prove that you had a reason to be there. as i said this whole shpeal about the usage, only really applies if it turns out that this is a private road and not a city one, if it's city then it should be pretty easy but you never know. also you have about 14 days to get that letter to the city so better do that just in case, also make sure to get that letter registered at the post office cause that way someone has to sign it at the recieveing end so that way you have proof that you sent a letter should that come into question. hope this helps man and if you need any more questions answered let me know. btw you are welcome to ride along this sunday with me and paul if your available.

Justin e36
11-02-2005, 04:45 PM
^ good info. he went there to eat at kelsey's or la paloma... he was on his way out to go pick up a friend (*cough* me), and on his way out it happened. problem solved.

Hound
11-03-2005, 12:29 AM
now all he would need is a recept, lol. anyways im here to help :D

Justin e36
11-03-2005, 06:23 AM
... not really, if he says he never did end up getting to eat because of the accident.