PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

spooner_dee
10-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Ive only had my e36 for about 9 month now maybe. I find my self wanting more, wanting newer. So for the last month or two ive been thinking about selling it and getting an e46. most likely a 99. Reasons being i want newer, more hp etc... im a huge car nut and i cant seem to settle for to long. Once i buy a car i want something newer and better after some time. I havent modded the car much and i love it to death but i still want more. I still owe money on the car but i know of a place that would buy it from me at book value wich after paying off what i owe would leave me with about 1-2 grand (usd). do you think it would be a good idea, are there any well known issues with the early e46's like there are with the e36's ( water pump control arm bushings icv etc...) so if you were in my shoes what would you do, stick and mod and fix what little problems it has or sell and buy newer and then mod from there? any opinions are welcome. *th-up*

oh and the current probs i have are (needs new control arm bushings, the front injector is leaking from time to time into the engine bay and at some cold start ups has a mild rough idle and sun roof leaking. Its not much all i can have fixed in due time.

what do all you members think. please be serious, i like jokes and all but i need some real feed back for a change

Kal
10-27-2005, 06:19 PM
From my understanding, e46's aren't nearly moddable as the e36's. So if you want power, keep the e36 and mod the shit out of it.

Also if you do plan to buy an e46, go for a later model one like the 2001's or 2002. i heard of problems with the earlier ones.

Kal

p.s. if you do decide to sell your car I'll buy your clear lights (assuming you have white/red tails on the back as well) off of you and give you my stock ones as well.

BMWags
10-27-2005, 06:22 PM
hmmm, im not too familiar with e46's, however with it being a new model style, you can bet your ass that there are more sensors and electronics to replace, and i bet parts for an e46 will cost much more then parts for an e36. i love e46's dont get me wrong, but buying an older one i think is asking for a ton of trouble.....if anyone else can chime in and prove me wrong, offer your input

Striker
10-27-2005, 06:28 PM
I have a 2003 e46, still under warranty. I thought of doing some mods to it but have not researched it well as yet as I am waiting until the warranty is over. I find the car semi OK stock, but still thinks it lack torques and HP for that size of car. Mine has the full sport package and handles well, but wish it had more stock power.

The first mod you can do is to update the ECU version (like chipping the older cars). You can go with a lighter fly wheel, performance exhaust etc.
There quite a bit you can do but because the car is still relatively new, mods are expensive.

I test drove the e90 and though I really don't like some all of the design, I might get one next year because the engine is lighter and puts out a nice HP and torque. Mine still has under 40K on it so I might get a great resale value.

If I were you, I would turbo charge the e36 *th-up*

JazzM
10-27-2005, 06:46 PM
or supercharge it with an AA kit ;) PM me for details...

T.

propr'one
10-27-2005, 08:58 PM
hmm

im suprised the newbie has to say this:

BUY AN M3

/thank you

rodo
10-27-2005, 11:19 PM
my dads e46 is still under warranty so I wouldn't know how much maintenance would be, nor have we had any problems. However look into the subframe ripping in the earlier models, and I can't see an e46 being anywhere cheaper to maintain than an e36... I love e36 especially coupes, so if I were you, like other people said id "mod the shit out of it"

shimajer
10-27-2005, 11:45 PM
personally i thinkkk e36 stock looks so much better than e46 stock.. if ur not gonna do anything to the e46, then keep ur e36..

if ur gonna mod an e46, u have to go all the way man lol.

rodo
10-28-2005, 12:05 AM
hey shimajer, i saw your car today parked infront of UC lookin gooood! :P:):D

shimajer
10-28-2005, 12:11 AM
hey shimajer, i saw your car today parked infront of UC lookin gooood! :P:):D

THANKS =)

spooner_dee
10-28-2005, 04:21 PM
as much as id love an m3 at this point in my life its just not practicle, id spend more to get one, plus id spend more on insurance. Both of which i cant afford to do right now as i have a wedding and future to save for. Thats not to say i cant mod my current car nor sell it buy a newer 3 and mod that as well. If i were to buy a newer 3 series i would of course mod it, but i wouldnt be going nuts. More or less the same lines im going now, intake exhaust chip suspension wheels... nothing to wild as its a daily driver and i do drive about 100+ commuter miles a day.

If i can be patient in 3 years ill have my car payed off my self and i can sell it myself and get full value at which point i can get an even newer 3 series, or by that time ill actually be able to afford a 2,000+ m3 i guess that would be my best bet, learn patience. anyone else run into this kind of mind set, you get a car, love it to death but always want something new and better?? i guess thats all about being a car nut. *par-t*