PDA

View Full Version : SRS airbag light

propr'one
10-26-2005, 07:11 PM
I wanna know what's wrong with my airbag. Anyone who's gonna be at the meet on friday have a scan tool they can bring?

Bill Gates
10-26-2005, 10:40 PM
its probably your driver or passenger side belt buckle.

jeffrie
10-26-2005, 11:00 PM
Have pikes peak tool and it doesn't reset it...
Neither does disconnecting the Bat.

Quack
10-26-2005, 11:16 PM
you need the Peake Research tool for SRS resets like this one http://www.peakeresearch.com/srstool.htm

jeffrie
10-26-2005, 11:21 PM
Damit mine is good for the 87-2001....
Think it would be able to.

Quack
10-26-2005, 11:25 PM
Damit mine is good for the 87-2001....
Think it would be able to.

your tool is only for engine codes, service lights etc, the tool I posted above isn't the same tool, it's for SRS codes only

jeffrie
10-26-2005, 11:29 PM
I see.... Still sucks though.

rico328i
10-27-2005, 12:53 AM
I have the Peake Tool. PM me and we'll hook up. I've scanned and cleared a number of Max members.

Rico

edrikk
10-27-2005, 11:36 AM
its probably your driver or passenger side belt buckle.

You're right...
The code usually says belt buckle or seat sensor.
I had mine go off, and I couldn't get a hold of the tool to reset the light, so I ended up having to take it to BMW Mississauga.

My car is out of warranty (2001 320i), so they had to "perform an investigation" (read: plug reader in and read the screen).

I got a call a few hours later, telling me that there were 2 problems: The passenger side seat sensor, and the driver side buckle. The cost to fix: 975 after taxes!!!

After I picked my jaw off the floor, I asked the advisor if he had tried to reset the light first to see if it would come back and he responded: "Oh... No, would you like us to try that?" :puke::idea: To which I responded "Yes!" (and continued in my head: "You idiot").

Anyways, I got a call back 30 minutes later telling me that the lights hadn't come back on, "but there's a chance that they will, blah, blah, blah"...

They haven't come back on yet (knock on wood).

So yeah, from my experience anyways, take the fault code off the SRS with a grain of salt, as it appears to have little blips/something that might set it off even though it's not neccessarily broken.

rico328i
10-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Very true! This seems to be the most common culprit that sets of the SRS light. I've scanned and cleared about 5 or 6 now and only 1 or 2 had 'actual' problems that required more than just clearing the code.

Good post edrikk!

Easier and cheaper to clear the codes first. If they come back on later...then do a more seriuos investigation.

I believe many dealerships charge at least $60-80 just to 'diagnose' either a CEL or SRS code!

R,.