PDA

View Full Version : Need Stereo Install Help...... E36

Daydream M3
10-05-2002, 07:40 PM
Has anyone installed a component system on their own? Do you have to take off the door panels? If anyone has done this themselves, please PM me. Thanks

Harry
10-05-2002, 10:42 PM
Yes, you need to remove the door panels. The tweeters are attached to the little speaker grill and need to be removed. The speaker grill is attached on the backside of the door panel and cannot b undone from the frontside.

Daydream M3
10-05-2002, 10:46 PM
Hey Harry,
Do you know how to remove the door panels? Also, does the stock BMW sound system use a crossover? Thanks

Harry
10-06-2002, 01:49 PM
As far as I am aware, the stock system does not provide for the cross-over, but I am not sure about the HK system. Regardless, you should replace the Crossover if there is one as they would not be of the best quality.

As for the door panel, behind the door pull handle on the inside of the door are 2 little black abs that need to be removed what cover 2 bolts. You also need to remove the plastic clip that surrounds the surrounds the door handle. It slides off. They are pretty easy to break, so be careful. You also need to unscrew the plunger from the top of the door.

To get it off, there are clips that go all the way around the door. You need to pull the the panel off the clips gently. The panels are made of some cheap MDF stuff or something and can crack easily where the connectors go in.

Hope this makes sense.

Harry
10-06-2002, 02:11 PM
These are the clips on the inside of the door that come off. They stay attached to the door, not the panel.

Harry
10-06-2002, 02:12 PM
These are the screw that need to come out and the clip that needs to slde forward. The black clip covers the edge of the material around the door handle release.

Foc us
10-06-2002, 05:11 PM
The stock amp might have a built in Xover, same like gamite's amp, just bypass it if you got another headunit and it'll be just fine. If you're planning on installing component sets into your car you might have to think of getting an amp to power it.

Kal
10-06-2002, 06:17 PM
i have a system in my car and i didn't change the front tweeters or speakers...i find that they sound pretty good as they are....

but ya..the door panels aren't hard to take off at all .. harry gave a pretty good description...

p.s. becareful for the door panel speakers..the border around the speakers tend to chip

kal

Adriano
10-14-2002, 12:42 PM
If you are going to amplify your components - which you should do to get the full performance out of them- don't forget to upgrade your speaker wireing.