PDA

View Full Version : Whining noise when accelerating

myndgone
10-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Went to Charke's yesterday to change the clamp on my PS hose, when i left his house there was this strange whining noise when accelerating, almost parallel with the engine noise....the higher the rpm, the more you could hear it...wasn't loud, but noticeable...if i kept the rpm around 1600, you couldn't hear it...what could this be?
I'll take the car to Charlie's but i just want to know beforehand...
Anyone?
Its a 540ia.
Thanks!

Darkness95m3
10-23-2005, 11:33 AM
Went to Charke's yesterday to change the clamp on my PS hose, when i left his house there was this strange whining noise when accelerating, almost parallel with the engine noise....the higher the rpm, the more you could hear it...wasn't loud, but noticeable...if i kept the rpm around 1600, you couldn't hear it...what could this be?
I'll take the car to Charlie's but i just want to know beforehand...
Anyone?
Its a 540ia.
Thanks!

Low power steering fluid.(best bet)
Clutch fan. (highly doubt it)
Pulley bearing gone. (possibly)
Water pump (possibly)
Low transmission fluid (could be)

Jari
10-23-2005, 11:35 AM
Did any belts need to be removed during that procedure? It could be the serpentine belt whining a little. Check to make sure its running true inside all the pulleys. Check belt tension as well.

myndgone
10-23-2005, 01:04 PM
nothing was removed other than PS reservoir..there's fluid, i checked...
happened immediately after i left...
tranny fluid was changed 3 months ago...

will the car make noise if PS fluid was low with normal driving (going straight)?

Deep 3.2TL
10-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Yes, going straight would also make noise... My PS pump was on it's way out for a while now and a couple of weeks ago it went completely... It's a bitch to drive right now, but the annoying whining noise is gone... Gotta be something with the pump or the resevoir... The clamp you replaced - is it clamping a hose too tight restricting the flow to the pump? that would do it too...

Deep

myndgone
10-23-2005, 02:23 PM
i dont know if its too tight...probably not, its still leaking a bit...

Deep 3.2TL
10-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Perhaps it's a) restricting the flow cause it's too tight or b) too tight so it's cracked something

myndgone
10-23-2005, 02:27 PM
is it even possible to restrict the flow if its too tight?
how tight is too tight?

Deep 3.2TL
10-23-2005, 04:01 PM
That is a question for a mechanic. I'm just speaking from my experiences... As for restricting the flow, if it's too tight, not enough fluid is getting to the pump, so ya, too tight could be the problem too...

Jari
10-24-2005, 02:17 AM
if its still leaking a bit CHECK THE FLUID LEVEL.

myndgone
11-09-2005, 10:53 PM
:mad:
there was a coolant leak (few drops here and there) and when you give it gas, underneath the car it sound slike you just opened the tap and let the water run out, but no water...just a few drips of coolant...
i have a new water pump today at Charlie's, BUT ..noise is still there, coolant drip is stil there (not the rad neck, thats brand new and checked)...

WTF COULD IT BE????

i'm losing it....i've had this car since february and already cost me 6 grand in repairs only...im not complainign about parts being expensive, but for BMW, this thing is constantly in the shop....its fun to drive, like nothing i've ever driven, but everything comes to an end, and i think this is it for the 540... *sad*

SickFinga
11-10-2005, 01:52 AM
Sounds like a common radiator problem on 540s is in progress

sounds like your radiator neck is cracked

Furious
11-10-2005, 03:23 AM
yeah on all BMW's those stupid plastic spigots they use will crack and break if they become to brittle (usually after an overheat or old age)

oh and id check the whole front of the compartment for that noise, im guessing its either an idle pully seizing or maybe even your alternator might be going kaput..

myndgone
11-10-2005, 02:53 PM
checked the alternator...not that!

like i said before, brand new rad (already had 2 with cracked neck)...

AMI Motorsports
11-10-2005, 06:12 PM
checked the alternator...not that!

like i said before, brand new rad (already had 2 with cracked neck)...

Might be the third one now also check the end tanks. Cracked heater hoses also now that we are into the cold.

Betray
11-11-2005, 03:23 PM
it has to explod for it to be a problem :P

bubsy12
11-11-2005, 03:31 PM
hidden Supercharger :idea: ?

I'd look at belts, alternator and the power steering fluid.

myndgone
11-12-2005, 11:09 AM
hidden Supercharger :idea: ?

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J/K

both belts had cracks in them, but that wasnt the noise...

here's a good one for ya...the container for oil filter has rubber mounts on it..they were both broken so Charlie threw some bolts and nuts on instead to keep it from dangling around..well, apparently being stiff and not moving a little emits noise throughout the chassis and whines a little...
ummm ooookay!!!! *no-no*